QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - I Watched 'Kiki's...' On A Train...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » I Watched 'Kiki's...' On A Train... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yea, video. I reckon those mini's/nano's are a waste of money.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.22.2007, 01:12 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pink
Yea, video. I reckon those mini's/nano's are a waste of money.

Well some people can't afford the full iPod Classic or new iPodTouch, or maybe they want the smaller form factor over the capacity... but of course Apple are very good at making the higher-end models better value than the the lower end models, to encourage people to spend more money. I actually think the new iPod Nanos that do video are very good value if you can live without the capacity the Hard Disk-based models bring, and the iPod Touch is just awesome.

I have a 60GB 5G iPod video but I just bought the tiny iPod shuffle as well, for when I don't want to carry round the comparatively bulky iPod video. Obviously I can't watch video on the Shuffle though, so I'll stop going off topic now!

09.22.2007, 03:13 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the thing about the new nano is that the screen 2in by 2in, sounds big but once you see it and compare it to the video, it seems kinda small.

plus, yea the memory for the i pod video is way bigger and a better value than the nano
in my opinion

09.22.2007, 04:42 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ill make sure that we stay off topic, and say that im in the market for a video, i need more than 2 gigs for songs, the 8 gig nano sounds good in purpose, but the video is taht gigantic.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.22.2007, 04:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

true, plus the proces are pretty much the same i think (for the new nano and video)

09.22.2007, 04:55 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Pink
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thing with the nano's is that they hold 10x less then a normal iPod Video, and cost basically the same amount.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.22.2007, 10:57 PM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To each his own. Depends on what you like to do when you're on the move.

Me, because I live in tiny Singapore, don't see the need for video anything, cuz I don't take longer than 1.5 hrs to get anywhere.

And my CD player plays MP3 CDs as well, so no point in buying an MP3 player.

And IMO the iPod craze is just to squeeze every last cent out of you. Take a step back and evaluate the items properly, and you'll find that they're not really that spectacular from the rest in the market.

It's kinda like comparing a Nike shirt and one you bought down the street. Both serve the same purpose just as well.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 09.22.2007, 11:35 PM.

09.22.2007, 11:34 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't have an mp3 player or a cd player because I have no interest in closing myself off with earbuds in my own little world. I pass time on the subway the good old fashioned way, reading a book, or looking out the window on the bus. Honestly I've never ever felt an urge to have an mp3 player at any point in my day.

quote:
And IMO the iPod craze is just to squeeze every last cent out of you.

Companies do exist to make money to be be in business, after all.

quote:
Take a step back and evaluate the items properly, and you'll find that they're not really that spectacular from the rest in the market.

Actually the Apple products are significantly better than most other products. They are successful for a reason. Because they are well-made with accessible user interfaces that even complete novices could use, and they're hooked up to the easiest online music store in the world.

09.23.2007, 12:27 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Pink
Calcifer

I have to agree, i suppose, people wouldnt buy them if they didnt use them.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.23.2007, 12:38 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
..Ayami..
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ..Ayami.. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by artoo Where have you watched Ghibli films aside from the usual (at home / in a cinema/movie theatre)?

The weirdest place I have watched a ghibli was in a hospital bed when I broke my finger. It was at about midnight and I watched totoro with my dad on my portable DVD player whilst waiting to have an operation.

now, That has to be one of the weirdest places to watch a ghibli

09.23.2007, 04:26 AM ..Ayami.. is offline   Profile for ..Ayami.. Add ..Ayami.. to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The reason the iPod Shuffles, iPod Nanos and iPod Touches cost more per-GB than the Classic iPod is because they use the more expensive flash memory rather than the Hard Drive of the models with large capacities. Although this means you can't carry as many songs or videos with you it means that the size can be much smaller.

Portability is kind of the point with a portable music player of any kind. The balance between capacity and size is one that will differ for different people. If you buy a Nano you're paying a premium for the flash memory, but getting a much smaller device, whereas if you buy the Classic iPod you're getting lots more capacity but at the expense of having to deal with a bigger device (albeit much smaller than a CD player! Speaking of which...).

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
To each his own. Depends on what you like to do when you're on the move.

Me, because I live in tiny Singapore, don't see the need for video anything, cuz I don't take longer than 1.5 hrs to get anywhere.

And my CD player plays MP3 CDs as well, so no point in buying an MP3 player.

And IMO the iPod craze is just to squeeze every last cent out of you. Take a step back and evaluate the items properly, and you'll find that they're not really that spectacular from the rest in the market.

It's kinda like comparing a Nike shirt and one you bought down the street. Both serve the same purpose just as well.

I disagree entirely, in my opinion the iPods are the nicest MP3 players out there. Sure there are many alternatives that have more functions, or offer a greater capacity or a slightly cheaper price, but considering the ease of use, elegance of design (both hardware and software) and computer software integration I don't think anything matches them overall, and I agree with Theowne that that is why they have been so successful. (Though I should say, I am biased a little as a bit of a fan of Apple's products I must confess, but mostly for reasons similar to those above).

That you don't see any need for an MP3 player because your CD player plays MP3s perhaps indicates how you (and others, in a different way) may be missing the point on the importance of the form factor (i.e. the physical size versus capacity issue) to many people. A CD player, however slim and compact, is a lot more difficult to carry around with you than even the largest iPod and holds somewhere from a bit less to ridiculously less music.

An iPod Shuffle can hold just under 1GB of music and you could fit about 15 of the actual physical items in the space of just 1 CD Jewel case. A Classic iPod is about half the size of a CD Jewel case and similar thickness and will hold 80GB!

The point is, that if you evaluate it on a purely utilitarian basis we could all be carting round gramophones on a little trolley behind us, because they do the same thing - but MP3 players are simply a much better way to listen to music if you want to take it with you.

Sorry, I could post about iPods and similar topics all day !

quote:
Originally posted by ..Ayami..

The weirdest place I have watched a ghibli was in a hospital bed when I broke my finger. It was at about midnight and I watched totoro with my dad on my portable DVD player whilst waiting to have an operation.

now, That has to be one of the weirdest places to watch a ghibli

That is a weird one... so I have to ask, did anyone leave you any messages inscribed in vegetables at the window?

Thank you for rescuing the thread from the iPod debate.

09.23.2007, 09:43 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

True, even though I have no mp3 players myself, I still found that mp3 player - CD player comparison rather odd. A CD can hold 700MB worth of data, the latest traditional iPod holds 160 gigabytes, and is still smaller.

Many people don't even use their iPods as pocket music players on the go, rather as basically their "music collection" whereas in the past they would have a huge cupboard full of CD's, now they just have a single iPod where all their music is stored, hooked up to their speakers. My music teacher does this, storing all her examples and pieces in her iPod to show to students when necessary, at the click of a button. This is not possible on a CD.

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.23.2007, 12:19 PM.

09.23.2007, 12:19 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

thats not true for every1, i have an ipod that i use for pretty much every thing, on-the-go mp3 player, in-car mp3 player and thumb drive. Im pretty sure thats what most people do, not just use it for one purpose

09.23.2007, 04:26 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
TurnipHead7
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TurnipHead7 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am yet to watch a film anywhere weirder then my bedroom or the cinema as the case is for tales of earthsea, however in an attempt to save the point of this thread i'm talking rubbish about nothing. However i would very much like to watch totoro under a tree by a river. Has anyone done this? I would imagine that would be brilliant!

09.23.2007, 04:44 PM TurnipHead7 is offline   Profile for TurnipHead7 Add TurnipHead7 to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

ha
thats a pretty sick idea
never heard of it before

09.23.2007, 05:11 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Theowne
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
thats not true for every1, i have an ipod that i use for pretty much every thing, on-the-go mp3 player, in-car mp3 player and thumb drive. Im pretty sure thats what most people do, not just use it for one purpose

I didn't really say that it was only for one purpose in my post. Just that some people use it for different purposes than others.

09.23.2007, 05:18 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Ayami: Operation for a broken finger? Now how does that happen?

Sony has a range of MP3 players that does everything an iPod can. So does Creative.

Most critics agree that iPod is only successful because of the marketing and advertising. And the cool factor. Like I said, it's like comparing a Nike shirt with one bought down the street. They both serve the same purpose, but Nike is a popular brand. It's more "cool" to be seen wearing an iPod shuffle than Zen MuVo around your neck.

It's all marketing. As they say, Steve Jobs can probably sell ice to eskimos if he wanted to.

Anyway, I have a collection of CDs, which is why I don't switch over to MP3 players although I did have one before, and yes, it's compact. But then I'm more of a "need" person than a "want" person. And I don't see why I should have both when one is enough.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.23.2007, 11:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, those Zen things are pretty neat... They're smaller than Ipods, and I hear they have radio built in, and can record anything that plays from a headphone port. Which is good for pulling songs off of youtube, I guess.

But yes, I love CDs. And AA batteries are so nice.

09.24.2007, 12:30 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka And AA batteries are so nice.

Someone who understands me... I could just hug you...

09.24.2007, 12:40 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
sho
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Steve Jobs-sama is brilliant.

One of the greatest geniuses the world will ever see in the computing and business market.

He could probably sell ice cream to Eskimos. He's that good at what he does.

I am a huge Mac-ist (as is my family), and I always watch his keynotes just to see more of his wonderful presentation skills. (And, of course, find out about the new Apple products.)

Microsoft Zens....stink. They look like garbage, have a clunky interface, can send songs to each other - that you can listen to a grand total of 3 times, and their store only has about 1/4 of the iTunes music store.

The new iPods really have some revolutionary design. I think the trick is the "coolness factor", as you say. But this "coolness factor" derives from the great design and elegance of Apple's products.

That was an awfully long post about Apple.

The starry sky is twinkling again, this earth is exalted with tears.
The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

Post last edited by sho on 09.24.2007, 12:45 AM.

09.24.2007, 12:44 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks