QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli recommendations?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Studio Ghibli recommendations? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Sorry to hear you don't like GITS. But then not many people can really understand the philosophy behind the movie.

In that case then, I suggest you watch Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers. It's basically a japanese take on the english movie The Three Godfathers, but it's pretty good on it's own.

I don't think I had much trouble understanding either of the two movies (although Innocence did require somewhat more concentration). The film just wasn't my style...
The characters were too detatched (intentional), the 10mins of nothingness was too long and the soundtrack did not appeal to me. I think "The Matrix" is a much better movie, although its pretty different and clearly borrowed heavily from GiTS.

Oh and thanks for the Tokyo Godfathers recommendation. I've seen it before and thought it was great, but I still prefer Millenium Actress. Perfect Blue is another good one, although much darker than these two.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

01.20.2007, 03:06 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm like a film critic where I live cause I judge films
critically and even the most interesting to some I
yawn at or scary ones I just tell people scarier stuff
they could have put in it. The only films I watch over
again are Ghibli. Other movies I'll watch once or twice,
if they appeal.

01.20.2007, 03:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Frazmand
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.14.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Frazmand Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I watched Akira yesterday and I really liked it. Its very different to the Ghibli films but I thought it was quite good. its not something I would have thought to be very good but I turned out to be wrong.

Someone mentioned Cowboy Bebot, a friend recommended this to me so I might have to give it a look.

What is Cowboy Bebot like compared with Studio Ghibli work and Akira?

01.20.2007, 05:25 PM Frazmand is offline   Profile for Frazmand Add Frazmand to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nothing like Ghibli at all, if you had to choose it's closer to Akira but its not much like either. Its a sci-fi series centred around a group of bounty hunters. The characters are all well fleshed out and quite interesting people. What's cool about CB is the music, its all great folk blues - if you are into that genre of music you'll be in heaven and if you are just into music at all you should appreciate it, its pretty cool.

For more go here:

http://rfblues.aaanime.net/

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.02.2007, 06:15 AM.

01.20.2007, 05:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
yukiko
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.08.07
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by yukiko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you could try these (Title Grave of the Fireflies
Japanese Title 火垂るの墓
Japanese Title (en) Hotaru no Haka

or this one(Title Princess Mononoke
Japanese Title もののけ姫
Japanese Title (en) Mononoke Hime

or this one (Title Pom Poko
Japanese Title 平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ
Japanese Title (en) Heisei Tanuki Gassen Pompoko

or this(Title Tales from Earthsea
Japanese Title ゲド戦記
Japanese Title (en) Gedo Senki

seehow you go hope you find the you like yours yukiko

02.08.2007, 06:55 AM yukiko is offline   Profile for yukiko Add yukiko to your buddy list
RealityBites
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by RealityBites Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

BATTLE ROYALE LOL

02.08.2007, 08:37 AM RealityBites is offline   Profile for RealityBites Add RealityBites to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

YO!
that seems really familiar, but I cant conjure any images to go along with it at the moment...

info please..

Oh yeah, and get all of Makoto Shinkai´s stuff..
seriously..

02.08.2007, 04:11 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cowboy Bebop is like a meshing of traditional film genres and outstanding Jazz, blues, funk, classic rock, classic, and R&B music.

Just think of everything that you associate with the word cool. That is Bebop in a nutshell.

Though, it isn't much like Ghibli (although Porco kind of reminds me of Spike)

Anyways, watch Makoto Shinkai's films (like JRR said)

They are more like Ghibli than any other anime I can think of.

02.08.2007, 05:59 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites
BATTLE ROYALE LOL

Dood, that movie is NOTHING like Ghibli's. Granted though, it's got a pretty solid storyline.

quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites
YO!
that seems really familiar, but I cant conjure any images to go along with it at the moment...

It's one of the films often associated with ghibli, some even calling it a production of ghibli. It;s not, of course, but one of their key animators is a ghibli staff, hence the character designs.

In fact, ghibli's unique character design is often a cause of confusion.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.09.2007, 05:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You should check out Steamboy, it's by the same guy who did Akira. It's a great movie, I'm planning on buying it next week. Oh! and watch Porco Rosso, that's a must.

02.16.2007, 12:06 AM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hate to argue so strongly against a fellow anime fan but Steamboy is complete rubbish. It looks very pretty, I grant that, but it has a weak story/plot and absolutely no character development. As far as I'm concerned its 90 minutes of Disney.

Try "Wings of Honneamise: Royal Space Force."

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.16.2007, 05:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I have to agree with Saddletank on the weak plot and lack of character development. As for it being rubbish, I guess we're both entitled to our opinions. Still if you don't mind weak plots and lack of character development then I still say it's worth watching. But there are better things to watch so don't watch it just because I said to.

Post last edited by PlasticMedia on 02.16.2007, 05:39 PM.

02.16.2007, 05:38 PM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't watched it, despite so many times it was aired on Animax (just managed to miss every single time for some reason or other).

But I heard from dballred that it wasn't that impressive, and dballred's reviews I can trust. Just like Akira, which I heard was a visual spectacle and has lots of action, but rarely applauded for it's story, plot, character development or the like.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.17.2007, 10:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
kawaii.kitten
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kawaii.kitten Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Cat Returns!!!! that and spirited away, closely followed by whisper of the heart.

02.19.2007, 04:56 PM kawaii.kitten is offline   Profile for kawaii.kitten Add kawaii.kitten to your buddy list Send an Email to kawaii.kitten
Georgia
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.20.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Georgia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The cats return is a good watch

Damn right i wonna trade cards,
I trade you,
But not my Charizard
Thanks to studentcartoonist for the drawings!

02.20.2007, 08:59 AM Georgia is offline   Profile for Georgia Add Georgia to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
only yesterday..
definitely.

02.20.2007, 10:22 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Georgia
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.20.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Georgia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You CANT go without seeing 'my neighbour Totoro', really.
I havn't seen very many but that is one to watch.
Also: Laputa castle in the sky

Damn right i wonna trade cards,
I trade you,
But not my Charizard
Thanks to studentcartoonist for the drawings!

Post last edited by Georgia on 03.07.2007, 02:50 PM.

03.07.2007, 02:49 PM Georgia is offline   Profile for Georgia Add Georgia to your buddy list
tamasaburo
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tamasaburo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

grave of the fireflies is a must also only yesterday. i gotsteamboy cos it was cheap in tesco and i think it was worth it cos i quite enjoyed it.

03.07.2007, 03:55 PM tamasaburo is offline   Profile for tamasaburo Add tamasaburo to your buddy list Send an Email to tamasaburo Homepage of tamasaburo
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Akira is not so much renowned for its story and content but for the quality of the animation. Akira was one of the first main stream animated movies that contained incredible detail and movement combined with interesting plot and characters. Its violence and teenage angst make it difficult to be liked by a wide audience.

Akira was one of the movies that helped raise the Bar for Anime from 2" to 10' in 1988 and paved the way for our favorites we enjoy in the cinima today

Royal Space force is great I am so glad other people have discovered it.

I don't know if Porcco Rosso was mentioned that is my favorit Miyazaki film but all of his work is absolutely wonderful.

Post last edited by fuji on 08.02.2007, 12:28 AM.

08.02.2007, 12:27 AM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

has any one seen flcl????

i've been meaning to buy the series for a while but i don't know much about it?

08.02.2007, 12:32 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks