QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Favourite Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Favourite Ghibli Film » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Nausicaa
2.Gave of Fireflies
3.Howell's Moving Castle
4. Spirited Away
5. thats all i can think off
6.cheers

01.24.2007, 11:37 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
kitkat
Calcifer

Registration Date: 01.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitkat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

do you mean grave of the fire flies??

01.24.2007, 11:38 AM kitkat is offline   Profile for kitkat Add kitkat to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by kitkat
do you mean grave of the fire flies??

yea man, thats one!!!

made me cry!!!

but Nausicaa made me feal like i just smoked an once of weed lol, so Nausicaa is tha best lol

cheers

01.24.2007, 11:49 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
kitkat
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitkat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

looool no bloody worries you crazy dude haha

01.24.2007, 12:12 PM kitkat is offline   Profile for kitkat Add kitkat to your buddy list
riverskull
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by riverskull Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol
I love
Howl's Moving Castle (shame the bk aint as gud)
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
and Kiki's delivery service was fun

01.24.2007, 01:52 PM riverskull is offline   Profile for riverskull Add riverskull to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favourite Ghiblis are

1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Only Yesterday
3. Now it gets difficult. Probably Porco Rosso.
4. Hmmm... impossible to choose. Laputa/Totoro/Pom Poko/Kiki and Spirited Away all sit about here
5. Not sure

Down the bottom sadly are Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke, two films I just cannot get into.

Last of all Grave of the Fireflies as it was too depressing for words, and I actually just didn't like it, it didn't seem believeable to me. I couldn't relate to the boy character at all.

Yet to see Castle of Cagliostro and Ocean Waves (but I have one and the other is on its way as I type).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.24.2007, 05:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
pathfinderap
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pathfinderap Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away seems to score more often and at a higher placement than the other movies,

Could it be we have a winner!!

01.24.2007, 06:04 PM pathfinderap is offline   Profile for pathfinderap Add pathfinderap to your buddy list
synthesizers
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by synthesizers Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by kitkat
i havent seen many YET but my fave are

1)Princess Mononoke
2)Spirtied Away
3)Totoro
4)kiki's delivery service
5) Laputa

I have nausica but not yet watched

You should watch Nausicaa soon. It's really good!
It's my favourite Studio Ghibli movie so far!

01.25.2007, 12:25 AM synthesizers is offline   Profile for synthesizers Add synthesizers to your buddy list Send an Email to synthesizers
kitkat
Calcifer

i watched princess mononoke again last night cos i love it but nausica is lined up for tonight people i'll let u nkow tonight

01.25.2007, 05:22 AM kitkat is offline   Profile for kitkat Add kitkat to your buddy list
kayla
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.25.07
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kayla Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Porcco Rosso and My neighbor Totoro! Grave of the Fireflies and Pom Poko just make me cry.

01.25.2007, 04:15 PM kayla is offline   Profile for kayla Add kayla to your buddy list YIM Screenname: kayla
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by pathfinderap
Spirited Away seems to score more often and at a higher placement than the other movies,

We actually did a similar listing on here about November time and Whisper came out on top, and by a fairly large margin, interestingly enough.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.25.2007, 04:22 PM.

01.25.2007, 04:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
pathfinderap
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pathfinderap Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinderap

We actually did a similar listing on here about November time and Whisper came out on top, and by a fairly large margin, interestingly enough.

Well the averages poeple are posting in their list of top favs don't support that,

most people have listed SA but the other films come and go,

back in november how many people took part?

01.26.2007, 01:05 AM pathfinderap is offline   Profile for pathfinderap Add pathfinderap to your buddy list
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Chihiro Rules! - Just face the facts of that, and move on to the discussion of who comes in 2nd place!

01.26.2007, 02:18 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lawl, i dont know.. I think my favs wuld hav to be something like this:

1.Nausicaa (gotta lov the lil fox-squirrel thing, toto or somethin...)
2.Grave of the fireflies (*sob*)
3.The Cat Returns (I know everyone disgree's but i love the Baron so much, and he may b in Whisper of the heart but tis totally different)
4. Whisper of the heart (i giv into its heart-melting gooey-ness)
5. Princess Mononoke (Some great scences in that...So very beautiful)

Im prob 4ettin some others which i shuld put up there but o well lawl. May i just say i like Spirited Away loads but i never really liked chihiro THT much, i mean shes nice and all but she isnt anything special, a lot more charachters hav far more depth than her. I mean come on Nausicaa's always putting her valley before her own life, and saving ppl... Shes just a far mroe perfect heroine (did i spell tht like the drug? Well u know what i mean a female hero)

01.26.2007, 03:24 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

pathfinderap - you are right, so far on this thread we have the following voted as top/best/fav:

spirited away = 8 votes
whisper = 4
nausicaa = 3
porco = 3
howl = 3
mononoke = 2

considering what a 'minor' Ghibli Whisper is considered to be by many, it always seems to do well among fans favourites.

01.26.2007, 04:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1 - Mononoke Hime
2 - Whisper of the Heart
3 - Laputa
4 - I Can Hear the Sea
5 - Porco Rosso

These were the ones which I enjoyed most. I didn't really like Spirited Away... I mean, I like it, but I don't feel anything when I watch it. Don't get offended, but I think it lacks depth. I didn't really get anything out of watching it.
And as for Grave of the Fireflies, I liked it, but I have to actually force myself to watch it. It's kind of depressing...

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 01.27.2007, 06:36 PM.

01.27.2007, 06:30 PM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Cherry
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1-Spirited Away
2-The Cat Returns
3-Whisper of the Heart even if Miyazaki doesnt own it
4-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
5-Laputa
6-Mononoke
7-howl
8-Kiki

i put my top 8 and i still think Spirited away is the best movie ever > <

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

01.27.2007, 07:32 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by chihiro1096
3-Whisper of the Heart even if Miyazaki doesnt own it

While Kondo directed it and had his hands on the reins there is a lot in that film that is Miyazaki. He wrote the screenplay and storyboarded it all. He wrote the original proposal and directed the fantasy/dream scenes. Really, it's his film, but once the groundwork was done he gave it to Kondo to direct. To me it feels like 60/40 Miyazaki/Kondo.

01.28.2007, 09:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think... tht everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Spirited Away winning is a bit well dumb. I agree with OnYourMark i mean what feelings does it invoke in u? The animation is fantastic, which makes it so popular but the actual plot line is made pitiful beside great ones such as monoke, nausicaa, GOTF i dont thinkt here is a comparison really. Though yes i do like Spirited away i just dont feel it really deserves first place.

01.28.2007, 10:28 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Spirited Away is the first Ghibli film that really was popular in the west, so it has lots of fans on a simple numerical count because it received a lot of publicity. Therefore, statistically it should win most casual forum polls like this one.

And I agree with you, for depth, there are other stronger Ghibli films.

Although on the flip side, while the story of SA might seem superficial at first, if you really dig down into it (and ignore the ruining of the plot in the dub) there is a lot to think about.

Here are some things:

1) what does the train ride with the shadow people mean?

2) who is no-face, and why is he important?

3) what is represented by the stink spirit?

4) what does the attitude of Chihiro's parents say about you and me?

5) what sort of an upbringing has Bou had? Why is he like he is?

6) if Haku is a prisoner of Yu-Baba's will, why does he act they way he does? (not to Chihiro but within the bath house community).

7) What is the message behind there being a good twin of Yu-Baba?

See, lots of depth if you spend time digging and thinking. A shallow film it certainly isn't and I think it has as much depth as Nausicaa and Mononoke, its just presented in a less geeky way a way that appeals to the masses more, which is one reason for it's success (although to be honest Miyazaki would have had to be very stupid to make a failure after Mononoke - that was the film that made him great in Japan, so part of the succes of SA rode on the back of that.)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.28.2007, 11:33 AM.

01.28.2007, 11:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks