QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - what is the best?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » what is the best? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
mattadingding
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.08.09
  what is the best?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mattadingding Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

dear all,

i have seen a few beautiful films over the years not realising they were made by Ghibli,
i would like to get my girlfriend into them as the tales can be epic, amazing and unique.

what would you recommend as the top 5 films to get her hooked?

cheers,
Matt

05.08.2009, 09:17 AM mattadingding is offline   Profile for mattadingding Add mattadingding to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It really kind of depends on what she's into. Do you know anything about her personal preferences that could narrow it down?

Totoro is a pretty harmless way to start. A lot of girls seem to really like Howl's Moving Castle. Or, rather, a lot of girls seem to really like Howl.

05.08.2009, 09:44 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
It really kind of depends on what she's into. Do you know anything about her personal preferences that could narrow it down?

Totoro is a pretty harmless way to start. A lot of girls seem to really like Howl's Moving Castle. Or, rather, a lot of girls seem to really like Howl.

Whisper of the Heart is another one that a girl might like...

05.08.2009, 12:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first one I saw was Spirited Away, which I think was quite a few people's first. It might be a good idea, as it's one of the more fantasy-themed films, without being as much so as, say, Mononoke or Nausicaa.

But yeah, it would help if you could give us an idea of what she normally likes!

05.08.2009, 01:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm a girl, and my favourites are probably Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart. I think either Porco Rosso or Whisper of the Heart might be a good start. Though if you're looking for something more 'epic' then maybe Princess Mononoke?

My Anime List

05.08.2009, 01:56 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, Kiki's Delivery Service could be a good one to start with. Maybe a bit friendlier than Spirited Away, which is also good, but a little, well, weird.

05.08.2009, 01:58 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Well, I'm a girl, and my favourites are probably Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart. I think either Porco Rosso or Whisper of the Heart might be a good start. Though if you're looking for something more 'epic' then maybe Princess Mononoke?

YOU"RE A GIRL!!!!! oh, yeah, I've seen the pictures..... lol

05.08.2009, 05:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Maybe a bit friendlier than Spirited Away, which is also good, but a little, well, weird.

Totally weird, but also wonderful!

The first time I saw it; I thought it was totally strange!

I'm just so glad that I gave it another chance.

05.08.2009, 06:41 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nausicaa is a great movie. If you're a girl or boy, you will love it. It's a bit emotionally heavy, but the messages and pure beauty of the film you will adore. I guarantee.

Oh and Spirited Away and Kiki's are nice and gentle, I'm a guy (a big hairy Viking at that) and love all of them.

05.09.2009, 09:20 PM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say, Whispers of the heart and The Cat Returns would be good ones. Howl's Moving Castle is another very good one, girls seem to go for Howl.
It's hard to find any that would be a poor pick, but Princess Mononoke might be a bit intense to start with, depends on what she likes.

05.18.2009, 06:13 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by oldwrench
It's hard to find any that would be a poor pick, but Princess Mononoke might be a bit intense to start with, depends on what she likes.

+1

05.19.2009, 03:27 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Easy peasy. If for a girl,
1. Whispers of the heart. Oh heck, yes.
2. Only Yesterday. (But watch through to end of the credits please.)
3. Nausicaa. For obvious reasons.\
4. Mononoke? Heck, yes. Intense? Yes. Wonderful? 18/20.
5. Nauswicaa.

All are simply great films for ANYONE, let alone girls.

Please watch

06.03.2009, 10:52 AM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
A lot of girls seem to really like Howl's Moving Castle. Or, rather, a lot of girls seem to really like Howl.

Haha, so true! Howl is just very charming

And I would recommend Spirited Away to start with as well, it's a great movie to get yourself into the works of Ghibli because the story is full of fantasy and emotions. Also quite funny at times

Post last edited by Kemi on 06.04.2009, 05:05 AM.

06.04.2009, 05:05 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Or, rather, a lot of girls seem to really like Howl.

The fact that anyone would is a great mystery to me.

06.04.2009, 05:59 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chuckler
Easy peasy. If for a girl,
1. Whispers of the heart. Oh heck, yes.
2. Only Yesterday. (But watch through to end of the credits please.)
3. Nausicaa. For obvious reasons.\
4. Mononoke? Heck, yes. Intense? Yes. Wonderful? 18/20.
5. Nauswicaa.

All are simply great films for ANYONE, let alone girls.

Please watch

Apart from Whisper I would not recommend ANY of those to a first time Ghibli/Anime viewer, male or female. All of them are either slow paced (Only Yesterday) or epic in their coverage (the other two). I'd also not suggest Porco for a first-time female viewer for reasons of its themes.

Cat Returns is a bit simplistic and perhaps the most Disney-like of Ghibli's work.

I'd go for Whisper, Spirited Away, Laputa or Howl as a first venture into Ghibli for a female newcomer.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.04.2009, 06:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I advise this:
1.Spirited away
2.Princess mononoke
3.Laputa
4.Grave of the fireflies
5.Pom poko

Spirited away because its a great introduction to the Ghibli series, despite it being one of their later pieces.
Princess mononoke because its very different and shows how diverse the organisation is in their film making abilities.
Laputa because its an early one, yet still exploring many diverse and interesting themes, still maintaining an enticing story line.
Grave of the gireflies as it is VERY moving and is unlike any other Ghibli film. masterpiece.
Pom poko as its lighthearted and fun, yet quite serious in places and is a nice introduction to Japanese culture and to the rest of the Ghibli collection
Hope this helps!
x

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

06.04.2009, 08:34 AM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To Saddletank. Your own viewpoint and spoken from a purely male oriented perspective, perhaps?

Whereas I understand that the male and female mindset can be/are potentially/probably different to the other.

Even so would you call 3, 4, and 5, slow paced? Surely they are the forerunners of Lara Croft? Epic yes. Mesmerising from an either female or a male point of view, yes. And the leads are...... What's wrong with that?

Perhaps you would also call G.W.T.W. slow paced?
And yet.......

Hence my response taking into account that the O.P.'s girlfriend is, hopefully, of the female persuasion and that she would appreciate that the actual lead/heroine in all are actually female

And why not Porco? Who designed and built Porco's plane then? (O.k, with help from the family members.) Fio of course, a female. Heck what woman would not want to identify with any of them?

And yet, your alternatives are, because they are also of Ghibli stock, also worthy of mention too, I suppose

peace.

06.04.2009, 09:38 AM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't say 'Grave of the Fireflies' as introduction to Ghibli, just because it is so different than the others and it's too sad and too serious for watching Ghibli for the first I would say...

No no, in my opinion (like I said) Spirited Away is a good starter or Whisper of The Heart...

06.05.2009, 05:53 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sadly, the original poster has yet to return, in which case we may never find out what his girlfriend's tastes are, so we can't really know what to suggest...

06.05.2009, 06:45 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

maybe he just lurked, so he didn't feel the need to type back

But onto the subject matter, i tried to get my girlfriend into.
she looooved Spirited Away, but others like Princess Mononoke and Totoro didn't really cut it for her

06.13.2009, 10:41 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks