QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My Neighbour Totoro
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » My Neighbour Totoro » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
TurnipHead7
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.09.07
  My Neighbour TotoroPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TurnipHead7 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched my neighbour totoro for the first time last night and thoroughly enjoyed it (possibly my favourite though not sure yet...)

However on the front and back of the box were two scenes i can't remember. One where they are all walking through tall grass and another where they all appear to be fishing. It is very possible that i missed this as i was extremely tired when i watched it though i dont think i did. So are these scenes actually in the film and i am just stupid and some how managed to miss them. Or are they just art work, based on the story??

Also scene at the bus stop is brilliant!

Thanks

10.03.2007, 12:29 PM TurnipHead7 is offline   Profile for TurnipHead7 Add TurnipHead7 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The fishing picture is very well-known, but it never actually happens in the movie. I'm not sure about the tall grass one, but I think it is similar.

10.03.2007, 01:32 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah the bus-stop scene was great, it so made me laugh! But I didn't like Totoro as much as the other Ghibli's. It was too tame. I like a bit of drama, action, a dash of romance.

10.03.2007, 01:35 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a child, Totoro was my favorite movie. I watched it (in Japanese) even before I could speak.

The starry sky is twinkling again, this earth is exalted with tears.
The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

10.03.2007, 01:46 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...Totoro is my favourite Ghibli film (and actually tied as my favourite film of any kind with The Empire Strikes Back)

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Yeah the bus-stop scene was great, it so made me laugh! But I didn't like Totoro as much as the other Ghibli's. It was too tame. I like a bit of drama, action, a dash of romance.

Totoro has all those things, you just have to look a little harder for them

Drama - the fear of losing your mother, a young sibling/loved one going missing, spirits in your new house... these things are deep primal dramas!

Action - flying through the air, riding a cat bus!

Dash of Romance - Kanta's coy shyness towards Satsuki and offering of umbrella (so sweet!).

Post last edited by Artoo on 10.03.2007, 05:55 PM.

10.03.2007, 05:50 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by TurnipHead7
However on the front and back of the box were two scenes i can't remember. One where they are all walking through tall grass and another where they all appear to be fishing. It is very possible that i missed this as i was extremely tired when i watched it though i dont think i did. So are these scenes actually in the film and i am just stupid and some how managed to miss them. Or are they just art work, based on the story??

I believe they appeared in a Ghibli Calendar, you didn't miss any scenes

These two:

http://gallery.digik.net/view/7772
http://gallery.digik.net/view/7774
?

Post last edited by Artoo on 10.03.2007, 05:54 PM.

10.03.2007, 05:52 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Artoo
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami

Totoro has all those things, you just have to look a little harder for them

Drama - the fear of losing your mother, a young sibling/loved one going missing, spirits in your new house... these things are deep primal dramas!

Action - flying through the air, riding a cat bus!

Dash of Romance - Kanta's coy shyness towards Satsuki and offering of umbrella (so sweet!).

i dont think most people consider flying through the air and riding a cat bus 'action', but yes for that specific film, i guess they'd be considered 'action'

10.03.2007, 05:54 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hi,uh,is totoro really as good as everyone says it is?cos in an anime mag they threw out at the news agents it even beat naruto and akira in the top 25 anime list.should i watch it?

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.03.2007, 06:04 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

umm, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw it as one of my last ghiblis, i shouldn't have waited, the film is amazing, watch it, now!

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.03.2007, 06:08 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ok im off to that anime shop in the mall....as soon as im done in these forums.

10.03.2007, 06:10 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i's my fav ghibli to

10.03.2007, 11:34 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

my fave movie is howls moving castle.

10.03.2007, 11:37 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not my favorite Ghibli, but it's pretty close. It's probably Miyazaki's finest film, though I prefer Porco Rosso myself.

The scene where they grow the giant tree is amazing. It almost moves me as much as Gina's flashback, and that's saying a lot coming from me.

10.03.2007, 11:48 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Amori
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Amori Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My sister and I have fond memories of this movie because back when we were in daycare together, we got to pick a movie to watch and I wanted to watch Totoro and she wanted to watch something else. I had heard that Totoro was good, but she was 4 years younger and never listened to anything I said, so she won the argument and we watched some other dumb movie. 10 years later, after we started watching tons of Miyazaki movies, we finally watched Totoro together and loved it.

10.04.2007, 02:49 AM Amori is offline   Profile for Amori Add Amori to your buddy list Send an Email to Amori Homepage of Amori AIM Screenname: Chelzaya
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awww, that's a lovely story Amori. Thanks for sharing.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.04.2007, 08:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its my favourite Miyazaki and my tied 2nd favouritte Ghibli.
ITs soo beautiful and warm.
It makes oyu tingle inside, just wathcing it. Its sooo cute.
I actually lent my copy to someone. Ineed to get it back, I wanna watch it again!

10.04.2007, 09:36 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol,
i guess talking about a movie can make u wanna watch it, just like talking about food often makes you hungry.

10.04.2007, 03:52 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
harmony-of-mar
Baron

food?!where?!

10.04.2007, 05:50 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

lol, yeah i could really go for some Macaroni and Cheese with hotdogs cutup in it or a steak, yeah that'd be good right about now

10.05.2007, 02:25 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
harmony-of-mar
Baron

im eating chips and chicken.yuk.

10.05.2007, 04:53 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks