QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Stuck on which ones to buy....advice please
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Stuck on which ones to buy....advice please » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
franpgb
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.10.07
Stuck on which ones to buy....advice pleasePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by franpgb Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi!

First post...I feel so new.

I'm basically stuck on which Ghibli films to pick. I'm aiming to buy just 4 at the moment as I'm not made of money unfortunately.

I've seen Totoro ( ), Spirited Away, Laputa and later on today, I'm about to see Howl's as my friend is lending it to me..I saw Totoro and Laputa though on TV dubbed...

Out of the 4 DVDs to buy, I feel that I should buy Castle of Cagliostro and Whisper of the Heart (unless people persuade me otherwise)

I'm then stuck on which 2 to buy. I'm so indecisive.

It's really between:
Kiki's Delivery Service (good, but not great)
Laputa (I know I've already seen it on TV, dubbed, but I really liked it)
Nausicaa (perhaps too long/huh what's going on? type thing)
Porco Rosso (perhaps too male-focused, though that doesn't bother me too much even though I'm female. No plot??)

I'm leaving out Mononoke as it's on Film4 so I can record it today, and perhaps too "violent"...

I liked Spirited, but No-Face was scary..I'm not into scary things. so that's perhaps why I'm missing out Mononoke.

Sorry for the long post..thanks for any advice in advance - if I get any..

Post last edited by franpgb on 08.10.2007, 07:44 AM.

08.10.2007, 06:44 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me out of your list if i had to pick 2 it would be

Nausicaa and Porco Rosso.

Although i would advise watching Totoro in japanese with the subtitles, as i think the engish dub voice acting it not the greatest, but that may be because i watched the japanese version first so it sounds weird in english.

Whisper of the heart i love, personally i would choose Kiki over castle of cagliostro.

But these are just my preferences, and im male so perhaps you should wait for a female response

Spungwa

08.10.2007, 07:08 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There was at some point i seem to remember a poll or a list of peoples best movies in order of preference. Cant see it now but someone that knows all the threads better than me may be able to post a link to that thread????

Spungwa

08.10.2007, 07:16 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't recall a poll and most forum polls are limited to ten options so that's be no good for a favourite Ghibli movie. We do 'what's your favourite' type threads on here fairly often but the usual winner not surprisingly is Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononke and Whisper of the Heart also often do well.

quote:
I've seen Totoro, Spirited Away, Laputa and later on today, I'm about to see Howl.

I feel that I should buy Castle of Cagliostro and Whisper of the Heart.

I'm then stuck on which:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa
Nausicaa
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso

It depends what sort of movies you like - romances, action/adventure, and so on.

I would certainly watch Whisper, its simply a delightful ordinary story of an ordinary school girl discovering herself - both her potential and love. Magic.

Cagliostro is all action and humour, but very nicely done in a rather cute James Bond kind of way. Great for kids.

Kiki is a tricky one. Its a story again of a young teenage girls rites of passage. Its a little slow I think, rather gentle and it took me three or four viewings to decide I liked it. I think Kiki is Ghibli's prettiest heroine though and the animation is superb.

Laputa I love. All action adventure with a love story woven into it (but in a rather subtle way). Its generally thought of as more of a boys movie.

Nausicaa isn't one of my favourites. I find it too long and cumbersome. I'll let someone else tell you how good it is.

Mononoke ditto, I just can't get to like this no matter how good it is artistically and technically, I often fall asleep during it

Only Yesterday - buy this. If you like love stories you'll be thrilled with this.

Porco - despite the setting of a male-focussed action story Porco Rosso is above all else a love story. The interaction between Porco and Gina is limited to a few scenes but the tension and strength of emotion between them is really wonderful. This was the first Ghibli I saw and its still in my top five.

And as another poster above said, Totoro in Japaanese is delightful too.

Here's some comments I wrote recently on a few of the less well known movies:

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...id=1&page=3

(near bottom of page)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.10.2007, 07:59 AM.

08.10.2007, 07:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
franpgb
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by franpgb Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Spungwa
There was at some point i seem to remember a poll or a list of peoples best movies in order of preference. Cant see it now but someone that knows all the threads better than me may be able to post a link to that thread????

Spungwa

I've looked at lots of other threads actually and it's helped me only a bit...perhaps not..

Before I hadn't even considered Porco Rosso - then I read good things about it on threads so now that's on my list.

Then Nausicaa was a near definite but then I read things like perhaps too long, or .. I don't know. Like not complex..can't think of the wording.

I hadn't thought of Only Yesterday either but maybe..

Maybe minus Only Yesterday from the list for now. I'll edit it and remove Only Yesterday.

Sorry I had to start another thread - i know there are other threads on similar topics but I didn't know which one to post on.

08.10.2007, 07:43 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Nausicaa isn't one of my favourites. I find it too long and cumbersome. I'll let someone else tell you how good it is.

Mononoke ditto, I just can't get to like this no matter how good it is artistically and technically, I often fall asleep during it

heh, I actually agree with you a little about Mononoke - I think it just lacks a certain joy that is present in most of Miyazaki's work. I still think it's a great film, but just not up there with my absolute favourite Miyazaki films.

Nausicaa however, is wonderful! Sweeping epic land/skyscapes, a thoughtful, deep storyline, very cool characters (Yupa & Nausicaa especially I think) and a kind of undercurrent of melancholia that makes the whole film seem, I don't know, more poetic somehow. From a Ghibli point of view this was the film that was said to have basically allowed the studio to exist, and I think many of the hallmarks of Ghibli films can be traced back to this one.

Although I'd generally always say everyone should own Totoro with the original soundtrack in widescreen first.

To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with any of the film mentioned so far. For what it's worth my girlfriend wasn't so keen on Porco Rosso or Mononoke but liked Kiki's a lot and Whisper is her fave.

I think Saddletank's advice was fairly good considering your stated preferences, but you never know.

I would personally advise Laputa and Kiki's as the two you're considering, they're a nice combination of adventure and a more relaxed pace (not that Kiki's doesn't have any drama in it) and then maybe get Nausicaa and Porco to look forward to another time.

08.10.2007, 08:15 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
franpgb
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by franpgb Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the replies so far. They've actually been helpful and thanks for the link Saddletank - I'll check out those less well-known films.

I'll also look at the Ultimate Poll that Saddletank created, as that would be helpful. Thanks for starting that up.

It's also good to hear how, say, Saddletank isn't exactly taken with Nausicaa (for reasons stated) but it's also great to hear why Artoo does like it. That was helpful. And thanks for the recommendations Artoo.

It does seem, from the few posts I've read on other threads, that I may have similar tastes to Saddletank's. Like I'm more into romance, and less into hardcore action Though I do really like Laputa. Though that is purely..speculation (can't think of another word).

Post last edited by franpgb on 08.10.2007, 08:31 AM.

08.10.2007, 08:30 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Laputa because the romance isn't explicitly stated. Its there, the relationship between Sheeta and Pazu is definitely growing but you don't get a single conversation between them where they discuss themselves (apart from Sheeta's flashback), when they do talk its about the situation they're in - its an action/adventure film after all. But the way they treat each other, hold each other and the looks they share... you just know that at the end of the movie they have a good chance of being together for life.

Its almost like a romance story but with teh romance edited out and just the outward signs of their fondness for each other showing as they survive the challenges they go through.

Let us know what you thought of Howl, it seems people either love it or hate it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.10.2007, 09:08 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For what it's worth, I'm not overly fond of Nausicaa for the exact same reasons Saddletank stated.

I do, however, like Princess Mononoke quite a bit, which is sort of contradictory since it's even longer and the plot is even more convoluted. I think I like it more because it's based on history, and I prefer the theme of Japanese mythology to sci/fi. It's not the kind of movie you can watch over and over, though, like some of Miyazaki's works. I would wait a few years or so between each time you watch it.

Now we have one person who doesn't like "Mononoke" or "Nausicaa," one person who likes "Nausicaa" but not "Mononoke," and one person who likes "Mononoke" but not "Nausicaa." That ought to make deciding easy.

08.10.2007, 09:50 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Heh heh, in the end you're gonna just buy them all anyway, you're only really talking here about the order in which you build your collection aren't you

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.10.2007, 09:59 AM.

08.10.2007, 09:58 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
franpgb
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi Now we have one person who doesn't like "Mononoke" or "Nausicaa," one person who likes "Nausicaa" but not "Mononoke," and one person who likes "Mononoke" but not "Nausicaa." That ought to make deciding easy.

Great..haha..fantastic..

Mononoke seems to be more nature/myth style whilst Nausicaa is more sci-fi..? Or am I missing the point Don't know about Nausicaa now.. Slightly confused...

I should be watching Howl soon as my friend is at the hairdressers at the moment, and when she's back (which should be soon), I'll pop to hers to pick it up.

I will buy lots of them in the end I suppose ha...maybe not Mononoke though as it's a bit bloody...and I needn't buy Spirited or Howl's.

Ok...

Post last edited by franpgb on 08.10.2007, 10:30 AM.

08.10.2007, 10:30 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Mononoke seems to be more nature/myth style whilst Nausicaa is more sci-fi..? Or am I missing the point Don't know about Nausicaa now.. Slightly confused...

You've got the basic idea. Princess Mononoke is set in medieval Japan and focuses on Japanese mythology, whereas Nausicaa is set in the distant future and focuses on futuristic creatures and things. That's the main difference; otherwise, they tell a very similar story in terms of theme and characters.

08.10.2007, 01:03 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
franpgb
Kodama

My God I am so indecisive...I research these films, read loads of reviews and still can't make up my mind..

So I've decided I don't care anymore. I might as well go ahead and buy:
Castle of Cagliostro
Whisper of the Heart
Porco Rosso
Laputa
Kiki's Delivery Service or Only Yesterday. Still undecided.

I'll get Only Yesterday at a later date, and perhaps Nausicaa too.

Thanks a lot though for the advice and replies. I really have appreciated them. For instance, I'm now not buying Nausicaa (well not yet anyway).

Thanks again - about to order them all now. I can hear the money draining out of my bank account now. Well they're only £5.97 each and I have a £10 gift voucher So it's £19.85 in total..

Post last edited by franpgb on 08.10.2007, 02:11 PM.

08.10.2007, 02:07 PM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
jim222
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jim222 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So did you buy Kiki?

08.11.2007, 12:48 AM jim222 is offline   Profile for jim222 Add jim222 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

That's the main difference; otherwise, they tell a very similar story in terms of theme and characters.

Perhaps if it were a book. However, there's a lot more to a movie - the animation style is quite different, for example. The pacing is different, and the score is very different. It's hard to qualify exactly how different they are, even though they have similar themes and stories.

Of the two, I would rather own Nausicaa. Actually, it would probably be my #2 choice of Ghibli to own (the first being Whisper of the Heart).

I did love the Castle of Cagliostro, but it's not a movie that I feel compelled to own. I think, because it's very plot and suspense driven, it would be less interesting to watch it multiple times. Movies like Whisper, however, get more interesting the more you watch them, because there's so much below the story that watching it again is practically like watching a whole new movie.

However, sometimes you buy a movie so that you can show it to your friends (slyly introducing them to Ghibli?), not so that you can watch it repeatedly. In that case, it would depend on what your friends like, but usually something lighthearted like Cagliostro or Laputa is good, or something famous like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. I wouldn't expect them to sit through an epic like Nausicaa the first time.

Castle in the Sky is the only Ghibli that I own (the rest I rent from the store / borrow from library). That's because it's really popular with my siblings, and it's a good fast-paced movie to share with friends. I would get more, but I don't often get the chance to watch them. I have to say, you won't be disappointed by any of them, so you may just have to pick one of them at random. Or worse, you could go based on price.

If I were to buy another, it would either be Whisper or Nausicaa. I don't think I could ever get tired of them.

Post last edited by Mush on 08.11.2007, 01:09 AM.

08.11.2007, 01:09 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just get four of them then. It doesn't really matter which ones you get now if you're gonna get them all eventually right? But if you really want recomendations, then Porco, Whisper, Spirited Away, and totoro would be mine. Only yesterday takes priority if you are in an area that has realeased it. I personally am not.

Oh, but sorry, I didn't read far enough. Between the ones you mentioned, I'd say porco and kiki. Especially since you haven't said that you've seen them.

To make things even more complicated too, I like Mononoke AND Nausicaa. Lol.

Oh wait, this whole conversation seems to be over. Is there even any point in posting this...the hell with it, I wrote it, I mind as well *Post Reply*

08.11.2007, 03:36 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Fanboy (or fangirl) waffle is always welcome folks. I do it all the time.

08.11.2007, 03:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
franpgb
Kodama

No no no, thanks for the replies Mushka and Seiji - very much appreciated.

I decided to buy Kiki over Only Yesterday for now - my friend also wants to see Kiki. As I've seen her Spirited and Howl's, I suppose she can see Kiki

I thought I might as well buy all of them, and then Nausicaa perhaps and Only Yesterday later.

I tend to watch anime series online - though to be fair I haven't watched many..But I will do! I don't think there are lots of anime I want to see so I can splash out more on Ghibli films. Perhaps only Tokyo Godfathers, Place Promised in Our Early Days, Cowboy Bebop and the 25min one: Voice of a Distant Star? So far anyway...I would get manga for series (like Chobits, Bleach) but £5 per copy...

It's only £20 or so for the 5 DVDs so I'm happy about that. I can never really decide and I thought I might as well go for it. I'm not a big spender after all...

Well I taped Princess Mononoke from Film4 but I haven't seen it yet - when I feel brave I may watch it 8]

Thanks a lot again

08.11.2007, 04:39 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by franpgb I don't think there are lots of anime I want to see

Ah, the voice of ignorance is but a sweet and brief song!

I was there, six months ago... before I even knew the amazing range of anime that was out there. I go to www.veoh.com rather than youtube. Once you find what you like (you seem to be into romance and the rather more 'deep' or mindbending stuff) let us know. Lots of people here will give you advice (or rather we'll all just go foaming on and on about our favourites) but most advice is helpful in some ways.

Place Promised has a heavy sci-fi / political setting which is teh background to the love story so let us know if that is or isn't a problem. Only Yesterday of course has a traditional rural farm setting against the love story's background so while you could say the general themes are similar the treatment is completely different.

Of course its once you discover TV series that the trouble starts and your life suddenly wastes away...

08.11.2007, 06:33 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
franpgb
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by franpgb I don't think there are lots of anime I want to see

Once you find what you like (you seem to be into romance and the rather more 'deep' or mindbending stuff) let us know. Lots of people here will give you advice (or rather we'll all just go foaming on and on about our favourites) but most advice is helpful in some ways.

Of course its once you discover TV series that the trouble starts and your life suddenly wastes away...

Uhoh...haha. Well I only stated that there wasn't as much anime to watch as apparently a lot of the manga is better than the anime. But I would like to watch the anime too.

I've only seen Love Hina (not so mindbending/deep ) so far, and I intend to to see all of Azumanga Daioh! too. I have a whole page listed of manga people recommended but perhaps I'll watch the anime too...

Yer Youtube itsn't that great I am watching on Veoh, and I saw Love Hina mostly on DivX Stage6. If not, I can always look on alluc or tv-links

I'll try not to go down the road though where there are say over 100 episodes, like Inuyasha or er Naruto I think it is. I'll never be off the computer then!

I haven't found many anime films as I have series though. There seem to be way more great series than great films...though yet again I could be wrong!

Thanks a lot for all your help by the way, it's been really helpful..

(P.S. - I saw Howl's..It was good but I suddenly thought "Eh?! This is going a bit fast. Too much jam-packed in..." It was all a bit like..moving fast towards the end. Glad I still saw it though. Not great though)

08.12.2007, 08:07 AM franpgb is offline   Profile for franpgb Add franpgb to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks