QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli on Cartoon Network and Toonami
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ghibli on Cartoon Network and Toonami » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.07.08
  Ghibli on Cartoon Network and Toonami Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you dont know, occasionally, Cartoon Network, and on theyre Toonami block (well, usually, since, Toonami contains all the "anime" on Cartoon Network) play Ghibli movies. They play Spirited Away the most (Of course...). I can only remember once when they played Princess Mononoke (And I wouldnt be surprised if the "edited it for time and content" ). Right now, like I'm watching it right now, theyre playing Howls Moving Castle.
At least Cartoon Network has taste. XD
Disney doesnt even play Spirited Away, and they own it.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
It's slowly filling me with Poison
Spreading to my chest

-From Forsaken by Skillet

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

Post last edited by Mnemosyne on 03.16.2008, 08:22 PM.

03.16.2008, 08:21 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah the Canadian version of those channels YTV plays Ghibli movies every now and then gotta check their site to see when tho, last one was Princess Mononoke in September , yeah they should play them more often...

03.16.2008, 10:42 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The UK versions don't show them... they should. It would make more people interested in Ghibli.

03.17.2008, 07:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not to mention it would definetly clear up misconceptions about anime in general. It would leave people with a good taste in their mouths.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

03.17.2008, 09:13 AM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SBS in Australia did a Miyazaki special spaced out over a few weeks, playing How'ls, Porco, Kiki's and Nausicaa i think.. but they were all the dubs It's supposed to be a foreign program channel, why couldnt they just use subs!? Also they were all played from 10 on a week night.. not a good time for capturing audiences.

03.17.2008, 06:49 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sometimes people are turned off by subs. Trust me, I rather show someone who doesnt watch anime a dub than one with only subs. It gets a little tedious when they move fast, too. And when its only subs, somethings are lost in translation.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

03.18.2008, 11:11 AM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh the best TV Ghibli time for me was when Film 4 had a miyazaki fortnight or something and they showed pretty much all of the films. Even less known stuff like Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro and Conan, The Boy of The Future. Good times :3

03.18.2008, 11:30 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mnemosyne
Sometimes people are turned off by subs.

I can understand that, but then if they're watching a channel particularly for foreign films and shows, then surely they shouldn't have a problem reading subtitles?

03.18.2008, 11:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in japan they have a whole station dedicated to ghibli, pretty much a complete 100% ghibli station i think it has the t.v series' as well ,and all that jazz

@ T.C i remember that ghibli special over a number of weeks , i think it first came on to premote HMC comming out and then they reran the ghibli thing over a number of weeks a year or two later.

03.18.2008, 10:08 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:

I can understand that, but then if they're watching a channel particularly for foreign films and shows, then surely they shouldn't have a problem reading subtitles?

Good point. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

03.22.2008, 04:22 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:

Good point. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Besides, I think most people will agree that more is lost through dubbing than subbing because english dubbers need to restrict the translated lines to similar mouth movements of the characters original line. Thats why in alot of dubs you get lines where you cant see the character whos speaking them.. often they werent there in the original. On that note though, i do like the Howl, Mononoke and SA dubs as much as the originals.

03.22.2008, 07:11 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It had been many, many years since I lived in Japan, but when I watch any of the Miyazaki films, I actually prefer to hear them in the original Japanese and read the subs. When I first viewed 'the Cat Returns' I couldn't find the Japanese dialog and had to listen to it in Chinese, which sounded discordant to my ears. I couldn't get comfortable with it. I finally bought an English language copy of the fime and enjoyed it a bit more and then..... I got smart and used my Japanese character dictionary and figured out WHERE the Japanese dialog button was. I have since viewed the film three times with the Japanese dialog and have enjoyed it a great deal.

What I liked about the English vrsion was the extras that told about the characters and the making of the film.

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.23.2008, 12:43 AM.

03.23.2008, 12:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
T.C.
Totoro

It would be helpful being multi-lingual with things like that.. but ye i agree, in most cases the original language is superior.. most fans would agree with that.

03.25.2008, 06:21 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
in japan they have a whole station dedicated to ghibli, pretty much a complete 100% ghibli station i think it has the t.v series' as well ,and all that jazz

Any idea if thats a cable channel or a free one?

I don't watch much TV, I much prefere watching DVD's but an all Ghibli station would be worth not missing. :p

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

04.11.2008, 12:18 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, I remember watching 'Bonanza' on tv over there... Hoss Cartwright speaking Japanese... it was a kick.

or 007 at the movies.

04.11.2008, 02:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ paladin i dounno but i was searching ghibli sites and i saw it , my japanese is pretty patch but i did find out that it was a ghibli station with 100% ghibli films and series on it as well as shorts and stuff

04.13.2008, 11:24 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks