QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Describe the worst (or weirdest) weather conditions you've experienced
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Describe the worst (or weirdest) weather conditions you've experienced Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
ethanimlynn
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.18.08
  Describe the worst (or weirdest) weather conditions you've experiencedPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ethanimlynn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am doing a project in college about global warming, human destruction to the earth, resulting in bizzare weather condition around the world & stuff like that.

Since Miyazaki, as we can see from his works, is a naturalist, I thought this is probably a place to collect a bit info. I do hope you guys do have stuff to share with me.

I'm from MALAYSIA, and if guys didn't know yet, our weather is hot & humid most of the time. And it can change from indian-hot to a four-hour heavy rain all in the space of 30 minutes haha.. but i'm not exaggerating.

sorry if this post sounded soooo serious, hehe.

Let me neutralize the seriousness by putting lots of

to all that's going to contribute to this thread, arigato. I'm off for now, sayonara.

03.24.2008, 11:06 PM ethanimlynn is offline   Profile for ethanimlynn Add ethanimlynn to your buddy list Send an Email to ethanimlynn
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

weirdest weather.......uh, this one time when i was around 10 it snowed and hailed on xmas day.
(note i am from australia, therefore xmas is usual one of the hottest days of the year)

worst.......the annual flood my town has in spring.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

Post last edited by harmony-of-mar on 03.24.2008, 11:27 PM.

03.24.2008, 11:25 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ive had the sky turn lime green, does that count? We had a mini tornado happen after that.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.24.2008, 11:48 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I live in a pass area between two mountains and the wind is usually blowing, but earlier this year we got it good... (bad?) lol

We were having gusts of up to 50 mph and torrential rain for about a day and a half...

funny thing... in the 26 yrs that i lived here, it had never snowed on christmas but we've had a snowfall as late as april, go figure... we're up around 2400 feet above sea level...

03.25.2008, 01:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OOOO interesting thread.

I think it has to be the times it has rained grass. (What actually happened is that it got so windy in the breckon beacons one aftenoon that the wind picked up lots of freshly mowed grass and blasted it around the mountains in a huge sheet for a few hour). I've seen the same thing happen on several occasions. Weird.

Post last edited by Atradius on 03.25.2008, 04:13 AM.

03.25.2008, 04:12 AM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thinking about it, probably the oddest weather occurance that I've personally witnessed was a waterspout...

This occurs when the conditions are right for it and a column of water is sucked up vertically into the air. I don't know how long they last, but the one I saw was there for at least 30 minutes or so before I lost sight of it. It extended upwards until we couldn't see where the top of the column was. We were somewhere between Hong Kong and Japan when the happened... It was about 1/2 mile away and maybe 20-50 feet across, it was hard to tell.

The weather was fine at the time, no storms, just an overcast and nothing else, that was about it...

We wondered what would have happened if it had passed over our relatively small ship.

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.26.2008, 12:15 AM.

03.26.2008, 12:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1) First post:

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...1&styleid=1

2) That and the summer storm that came in from the sea when we lived in Brighton many years ago. We went out in it in t-shirts and shorts just for the joy of being soaked to the skin in seconds by hot rain. The light was purple and green then too, the most astonishing colour.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.26.2008, 05:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

South-west Ireland's weather is permanently weird. I think we have every variety of rain there can be. And that's usually before midday most days

We took my boyfriend's mum out last Mother's Day 2 March and had a nice restaurant lunch, but during it it hailed like crazy. I've never seen hail like it, massive stones and falling so thick. Then when we left the storm was passing and we were driving along a country road, there was brilliant sunshine on one side of the car with blue sky and on the other this powerful storm passing away, black as ink under it. Between the blue sky and the black a rainbow was connecting them together, it was the prettiest thing ever, but so strange.

We were all just silent in total awe at how beautiful nature is.

03.26.2008, 06:04 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

2 or 3 years ago Hurricane Delta came to the canary islands. Special thing was... it was the first time a hurricane had EVER reached the Canary Islands.

03.26.2008, 06:14 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
husky51
The Old Guy

yeah, come to think of it, the Canary's are not really in the hurricane pattern, are they?

(snicker, lose any dogs)

03.26.2008, 03:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We have alot of rapidly changing weather patterns as well, really hot to pouring rain and such.. but not as bad as where you are.
the only experience that comes to mind at the moment is when i was stuck in the middle of a busy intersection after getting of a tram and waiting to cross onto the footpath and out of nowhere a huge heavy sheet or torrential rain just came down on us. It had been windy all day i think but with no protection from this sudden rain i nearly fell over and had to cover my face to stop spatter from getting in my eyes even when facing the oppisite way the rain came. It only lasted about five minutes but ive never forgotten that.

03.27.2008, 12:30 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

last year, it hailed again after the xmas hols during school.that was also weird. seriosly, though, my area is totally not supposed to get cold enough for that....and were in a valley, so shouldnt the GDR and the blues block it? global warming has turned everything psycho.

03.27.2008, 12:47 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
ethanimlynn
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.18.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ethanimlynn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow... thanks a lot, k, for all the replies. didn't thought that you guys will bother to reply. keep them coming, k. arigato.

03.29.2008, 07:40 AM ethanimlynn is offline   Profile for ethanimlynn Add ethanimlynn to your buddy list Send an Email to ethanimlynn
seasprite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.22.08
  weirdest weatherPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

a sea state 10(not beaufort windscale but wave height) which is classified (by meteorologists) as "phenomenal"-- they weren`t kidding!!it WARPED bits of the ship i was on , husky will relate to that.

03.30.2008, 02:55 PM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@seasprite... Thankfully, I didn't have to go through that kind of sea, but yes, I can relate. Heading north towards Japan one time we were trying to keep away from a typhoon. Seemed like every time we changed course, the darn thing would angle off and we'd be in danger again. By the time the hazard was diminished, our chart showed three large loops on it...

03.30.2008, 03:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
seasprite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.22.08
weird weatherPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey guys! thinking about wierd weather---- EVERY time i`v sailed through the bay of biscay, or around cape horn, it`s been blue skies and calm seas.whats that all about?

03.31.2008, 12:02 PM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LUCK???

03.31.2008, 06:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh hey, I remembered some weird weather. I was in a blizzard. Now for the people here that realize I'm from Canada, it is a normal occurrence at just about any time of the year. Its winter all the time.

But... I was in a blizzard in Arizona of all places. They got about 3 or 4 inches of snow, it melted pretty quickly, but man, seeing desert white is haunting.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.31.2008, 06:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

um in my area (north tasmania, australia in my living meory this was in early 2005)the worst wheather was an immense storm that took trees and roofs of some places , and we were stranded in out houses without power and acces to town by car for about four days.

oh we also have really bad fires here one of the worst in tasmania was in a small town called snug (near hobart- tasmanias capital down south) that was extremly bad , considering tasmania only has 500,000 living here it is a pretty big deal.
most of the fires can be blammed on being deliberatly lit that is the sick part.

03.31.2008, 07:15 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

we had a bushfire in bega, but we get it often so we really didnt react when we saw it from the bus.
"oh look, a fire..."
and on the same day we had one next to our school, which was pretty suss.

03.31.2008, 07:50 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks