QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Bloody hell...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Bloody hell... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Bloody hell...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now THIS is a medical mystery.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080124/ts_...ldrentransplant

Anyone studying biology wanna give a shot at explaining? Cuz last I checked your blood type was dependant on your genes, not your liver and definitely not your immune system.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.24.2008, 10:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Demi-Lee Brennan was aged nine and seriously ill with liver failure..

and

quote:
She is now a healthy 15-year-old, Michael Stormon...

didn't just change her blood-type either...

When I first looked at that article I checked for thedate to see if it was 1st April. No, I have never come across such things before either, but in the modern world when we mess about so much medically and surgically I think anything's possible.

01.24.2008, 10:14 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
... Michael Stormon, a hepatologist treating her, told AFP...
Amazing how excluding a few words has so great an effect "

01.24.2008, 11:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know, I'm just messing with you it’s still an amazing story though.

01.24.2008, 12:38 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey, i read about this in the local paper.
must be one of those medical miracles, like that guy who got stabbed in the head with barely any brain damage.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.24.2008, 07:11 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, it´s strange enough that immune systems attack themselves in some cases, I´m sure the reverse can happen.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

01.25.2008, 07:33 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From what I remember from high school biology, the immune system is closely related to blood types. The reason that you can't receive blood from incompatible types is because the blood cells have antigens on them that signal for certain immune cells to attack. For example, if you're type A, then your blood has "A" antigens, and your immune system will attack anything with "B" antigens. If you're type B it's the reverse. If you're AB, your blood has both antigens and your immune system won't attack anything. If you're type O, your blood has no antigens and your immune system will attack A and B antigens. Genetics determines which antigens you have.

That's why AB is the "universal recipient" and O is the "universal donor".

I don't know what the liver has to do with it... I know it's involved in maintaining the blood somehow. I think it recycles expired blood cells, for example. But it's the bone marrow that makes new blood cells...

The end of the article hints that stem cells might have something to do with it. I guess that might make sense; if the liver had stem cells from the donor, they have the capability to turn into lots of different cells in the body. They might have turned into bone marrow cells, and produce the donor's blood. Don't know how or why that would have happened though.

If her original blood type was AB, or if the donor's blood type was O (more likely since few people are AB), her immune system wouldn't attack the new blood.

So I guess it's feasible... but I'm really not an expert.

01.26.2008, 02:34 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My father´s AB negative. Our family have rare blood types. I´m Either A or B, I can´t remember, and my brother´s either A or B. My mum´s O though.
My brother has an auto-immune disease, so his immune system attacks itself, it has something to do with his blood, but that´s pretty much all I know about immune systems, lol.
Nice explanation, BTW, Mushka.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

01.26.2008, 03:43 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good one, Mushka.

But it still doesn't explain how it got in the liver in the first place.

01.26.2008, 05:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"A series of serendipitous events"?

Nah, I might have to blame that one on God. You win, Saddles

And now for something completely different...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/...1,6840285.story

Apparently, someone just figured out that transplanting bone marrow cells along with a donated organ can make the recipient's immune system stop attacking the donated organ. Does anybody else feel a connection here?

Post last edited by Mush on 01.27.2008, 01:13 AM.

01.27.2008, 01:12 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, connection's there, although it's somewhat a separate incident, since the experiment have been going on for years.

Still, it's good news, although I can say the same for the donor. Last I heard, bone marrow transplant hurts. I mean like OW hurts.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.27.2008, 02:05 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe the pre-surgery test results got mixed up with someone else's results >.< though I doubt it. But, hospitals have done stupider things before, like accidentally leaving newborns in dumpsters...

01.30.2008, 06:20 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks