QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Alice in Wonderland
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Alice in Wonderland » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
DisposableTeen
Calcifer

Registration Date: 12.26.07
  Alice in WonderlandPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DisposableTeen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alice in Wonderland is a novel from 1869.
I'm sure most of you have either read or seen the film based on this fantastic fantasy tail.

A strange, wonderful, fun filled adventure that you can easily lose yourself in.

Please tell me what you think of this book and/or the film.

THANKS FOR THE SHIRT HARMONY-OF-MAR

01.12.2008, 12:28 AM DisposableTeen is offline   Profile for DisposableTeen Add DisposableTeen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, actually. Or at least, not the full novel.

Actually, I'll bet a hundred that very few of us have read the original novel.

01.12.2008, 02:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have...
It´s very good... If a little strange.....
I´ve only read the book, I haven´t watched any movies and I don´t think I want to because they probably would ruin my image of it...

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

01.12.2008, 02:18 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

did you know the bloke who wrote it was a drug addict?
kinda explains explains alot about the book, huh?
movie sucked.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.12.2008, 03:00 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah it was originally a really dark tale, and then it got disney-fied.

yawn, not missing much here.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.12.2008, 12:02 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now there's something I didn't know about. Learn something new everyday, eh?

But I hope to find an unabridged version, 'cause that's just me. I read the complete unabridged version of Wuthering Heights (the slang was a pain) and personally own a set of Sherlock Holmes (several exclusions I never knew about from edited versions).

Actually, come to think about it, a lot of older so-called "children's tales" often have grotesque twists in them.

I mean, just look at "Jack and Jill" or "Humpty Dumpty". Or if you knew the original version, "The Little Mermaid", or even "Red Riding Hood". And if you saw JinRoh, you'll know that 'other' version (from Germany I think?).

Shocking realization, isn't it?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.12.2008, 12:14 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, a guy I was talking to at a used bookstore where I was looking for some Hemmingway was talking to me about that.

A lot of these books were originally darker and grotesque stories that disney decided to spruce up a bit for a younger audience. hell 'ring around a rosie' has a terrible history.

And @roar, i find chick-flick books to be painful in themselves. I would not read those books under duress.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.12.2008, 12:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Disneyfied" is actually recognised terminology in the world of proffesional criticsim.

"A term used for something that has been sanitized in order to project the sanctity of family values." quote courtesy of Urban dictionary.com

I think this applies quite well to alice in wonderland, the original is rather more creepy and macarbe than the disney film points at. I read the book a long time ago (the abridged version) and distinctly remember the Cheshire cat being an almost "evil" character. Well, maybe evil is too strong a word. perhaps "suspicious or menacing" would be a fairer description. Hell, even that Walrus is scary.

01.12.2008, 12:24 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I find chick-flick books to be painful in themselves. I would not read those books under duress.

I would agree 99% with that, my one exception would be the princess diaries. I read it for my A-level english coursework and really enjoyed it. The Films are abominable though, nothing can change my opinion about those.

01.12.2008, 12:26 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Now I REALLY need to find that book. Held it off for too long.

Then again, there's a lot of classics I want to read (unabridged, please and thank you).

01.12.2008, 12:27 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

disneyfying stuff sucks.
back in year 7 i had a r.e teacher and she knew all these original stories of disney movies and books and stuff and told them to us and they were heaps better.
but i always hated the original little mermaid and the soldier and death.
nothing can make me like those two.

01.12.2008, 08:14 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"The Little Mermaid" is a beautiful story--heartfelt and lyrical and tragic--even if the ending is really a copout more than anything. I think I would actually read the story before passing judgement. The Disney version wasn't bad, but the original story had much greater emotional impact; Disney always falls flat in that regard.

Back on topic: I've read the original novel by Lewis Carrol, and I don't see how the Disney version is such a sacrilege. I thought the novel was much less disturbing than the film: it's written in a very light style, with lots of wordplay and suchlike, so even the stangest of events seems comical. The movie does a good job of visualizing the events of the novel, but not the playful sensibility, and as a result, what was humorous in the book becomes grotesque in the film.

And don't blame Disney for everything. At that time, the cinema was seen as a medium for "family entertainment." Anything that was adapted to the screen--literature, theater, etc.--was made considerably more family friendly because families were the intended audience.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.12.2008, 09:07 PM.

01.12.2008, 08:55 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
DisposableTeen
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DisposableTeen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Marilyn Manson did a movie on the author.
It explains all the originality of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
Both how dark they are.
Its out internationally this year.

I highly reccomend it.
Could be an interesting experience.

Its called Phantasmagoria - The Visions of Lewis Carroll.

There are rumours of Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp to be starring.

01.13.2008, 12:53 AM DisposableTeen is offline   Profile for DisposableTeen Add DisposableTeen to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

depp rocks.
jolie is evil.

01.13.2008, 12:55 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, yeah, I think I learnt the original story of Alice through a manga. Shutter Box.. Doesn't surprise me. I found the novel a few times before, and think I've read a little of it. I also know the original of The Little Mermaid, but that's also from Shutter Box.. o.O Oddness.. I actually watched the movies because I found old VHS tapes in my sis's room and scared my sister by watching them. Heh heh.. Although, I watched them mainly for purposes of video gaming and the like..

01.13.2008, 11:45 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few months back i was cleaning out my attic and i found a really old, properly bound copy of Alice in Wonderland and also Through The Looking Glass. I think i somehow prefer Through The Looking Glass. My favourite bit is when she's sitting there at the beginning with the kittens and shes having a proper little conversation with them. Its so cute and has a slight nostalgic feel about it.

01.13.2008, 11:51 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never read it but I've seen the film.
My teacher said she took acid and thats how she saw all that stuff...it kinda makes since once you think about it

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

01.13.2008, 05:47 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
harmony-of-mar
Baron

thats what i said, drugs turn you into a published turn you into a published authour
but seriously, drugs are bad.dont take them.
please?

01.13.2008, 06:43 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Atradius
Ohmu

Acid is boring anyway................................
Not that I'm speaking from experience ofc ;D

01.13.2008, 06:49 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
DisposableTeen
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DisposableTeen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was on acid once.
It was so weird.
I kepy thinking I was crushing toads under my feet and the guts were sticking to my soles.

Acid can do terrible things to people and I'll most likely never try it again.

01.13.2008, 07:11 PM DisposableTeen is offline   Profile for DisposableTeen Add DisposableTeen to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks