QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Homework of the Video Game Variety
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Homework of the Video Game Variety » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Homework of the Video Game VarietyPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Um, Hi everyone.
I have this proposal for a final prooject due next week. I think, if I can figure out Dreamweaver, I'm going to make a website. The website can be about anything and I think I am going to make it about Video Games, specifically, girls and video games. Being that I am a girl and I like video games. Not that I don't want help from boys too, I was just trying to come up with a focus.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me out. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the topic and ask if there are any girls here that like video games and if they had a chance to say something to the world about that, would they be willing to?

I'm going to have more info about the site as soon as I make it up, but as of right now... I'm kind of clueless on the specifics.

Also, if anyone has any tips about using Dreamweaver, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks everyone.

11.09.2007, 07:47 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what do you mean by "I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the topic" do you mean video games or homework of.. .
Well if your talking about video games, im not a girl, but im addicted, and i have abunch of friends that are girls that like em' too. not as seriously, but they still like em' mainly games like Guitar Hero, and other more relaxed games. im more serious and joining the MLG this January.

and about Dreamweaver.

good luck trying to figure it out if you have little experience. inless you know HTML. than its easy.

but my best suggestion is to search something like 'CSS templates' in google and just lift code into the 'code' screen on Dreamweaver.

BUT.....

remember that the CSS (the sites style) may be separate from the template.

anyway, i could explain it alot better, but i gotta go to school soon. but if you need examples i could send you some stuff.

Post last edited by ={HSA}= MORO on 11.09.2007, 08:22 AM.

11.09.2007, 08:22 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a girl... and... I'm not addicted but I love my computer games and my PS2. I'll post something more extensive later... I have opinions on this issue but I don't quite have time to post them right this minute.

EDIT: Scratch that, I do have a little time. I like to play adventure-type games - the Sly Raccon series (has anyone here played this btw?), Okami (possibly the best game I've ever played.), I also like horse-racing games and fishing games. I have the Sims 2 which I really like.

Post last edited by Kazegami on 11.09.2007, 09:41 AM.

11.09.2007, 09:30 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey.
Im quite a gamer... Im a guy though.
I have periods where I play a lot, a few hours a day and then I might take a break for a few weeks until I find something Ireally wanna play and I'll spend another few days addicted.

Ive realised that girls that I know that play Games prefer the kind of slow, often socializing games.
eg: Friend a) plays
The Sims (favourite game ever)
Animal Crossing DS (cute socializing sim. It rocks, amazing game!)
Hotel Dusk: Room 217 (I think its the title, its a slow detective game)

Friend b) plays
Animal Crossing DS
Pokemon Diamond (or was it Pearl?)
Phoenix Wright

They are also slowish games.
Phoenix wright is just tlaking and reading and Pokemon is always about walking around, caring for creatures, that kinda thing.

I know few girls who actually are hardcore gamers, to whichI refer to games like Gears of War, Halo, Metroid Prime etc.
Sometimes they will be drawn towards hardcore games due to their visual aesthetic.

Eg: Mario (especially the 3d ones) in itself is a standard (albeit brilliant) platformer. Normally a girl who plays DS stuff and the sims wouldnt play games like that, eg: Ratchet and Clank, but the visuals are fun and MArio is THE gaming mascot so its interesting.
Im sure Mario Galaxy might be the only "hardcore" game that female wii owners will buy.
And the game actualy alllows you to complete it when youve completed only half of it (collected 60 out 120 stars). This allows casual gamers to play the easier stuff and finishthe game.
Hardcore gamers can play the increasingly (very) difficult other levels and collect all the stars.

Of course when I write this I refer ot my personal experiences.
There are of course female "hardcore" gamers (remember LilGreenPea?) but they are rarer.

In Japan more women actually own a DS than men.

Hope that helped.
Im waiting to get my hands on the orang box.
Should be in the mail any day now.
H

11.09.2007, 09:37 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks you guys.

In response to ={HSA}= MORO, I just wanted people's opinions on video games and girls and video games. I'm trying to sound like I know what I want but the fact is I'm still trying to form the idea in my head.

Any help in the Dreamweaver area would be awesome. Since I don't know html and I have no idea what I'm doing. So, any examples would be cool. Thanks.

11.09.2007, 10:01 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope my daughter sees this thread, she plays a lot of horseriding games and puzzle/adventure games like Syberia and Tsungska (the ones heavy on pretty art of the Myst genre). I'll remind her to do a post for you.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.09.2007, 10:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not much of a gamer, sorry.

And unfortunately, I don't use Dreamweaver. But I'm pretty much the most experienced in building websites amongst everyone here, so I can help out here and there.

First thing when building a website is planning the layout; basically, the banner/logo, the menu, and content location, and a breakdown of the content and where it goes. This should be done regardless of the program you're using.

The most useful tool is the table. Like excel, tables help you organize the entire page layout. In fact, you'll be using tables the most when designing a webpage.

Start by looking for a function to draw tables. Following your design plan, draw tables starting from the top, adding in the content as you add/split the tables.

As a beginner's guide, it is advisable to keep ALL your content in a table. Also, when developing the webpage, it is useful to set the border width to 1, and using different colours to distinguish separate tables. You can remove the border when you are satisfied with the page.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.09.2007, 11:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a gamer, but not a girl. In general, girls seem to like more slow-paced games, often more related to real life. Of course, this isn't always true, just like not all boys are obsessed with racing games and shoot-em-ups. Personally, I like games with an interesting atmosphere shown through style of graphics or gameplay, which can therefore include many different games of varying genres.

You don't need to know any html to use Dreamweaver. You don't even need to be able to say what <b></b> does. It often helps to have a little knowledge of it, but it's unnecessary. If you do need some help with Dreamweaver, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

11.09.2007, 12:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
..Ayami..
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ..Ayami.. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I hope my daughter sees this thread, she plays a lot of horseriding games and puzzle/adventure games like Syberia and Tsungska (the ones heavy on pretty art of the Myst genre). I'll remind her to do a post for you.

Hmmm... yes, I love playing video games. Especially driving and mystery/adventure games and as dad said, possibly my two fave games ever: tunguska and syberia. I would be happy to help.

11.09.2007, 03:26 PM ..Ayami.. is offline   Profile for ..Ayami.. Add ..Ayami.. to your buddy list
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you everyone.

So you don't need to know html for dreamweaver? Cool. Well, I'm going to be working with the program over the next month, when I run into problems I'll come crying to you guys.

All the information you guys have given me is useful. I was thinking on the website I might include a section for featured girl gamers. Maybe a couple girls could write a blurb about why they like video games and stuff like that. I'll come up with some more specific questions soon. Anyway, Kazegami and ..Ayami.. and anyone who might have a friend who is interested, I wanted to invite you to be featured gamers on my website... when I figure out how to make it. It's cool if you don't want to. I was just hoping.

Thank you everyone for your time! You guys are great.

11.09.2007, 05:23 PM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by WingedBandit
Anyway, Kazegami and ..Ayami.. and anyone who might have a friend who is interested, I wanted to invite you to be featured gamers on my website... when I figure out how to make it.
Ultra-cool. 'Fraid I don't really know any other girl-gamers, but I'd be more than happy to contribute to the website once it's up and running.

11.09.2007, 05:36 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
WingedBandit
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Ultra-cool. 'Fraid I don't really know any other girl-gamers, but I'd be more than happy to contribute to the website once it's up and running.

Cool, thank you. I'll let you know if I ever get the site up.

OK, so I am really new to Dreamweaver web site design in general. I got the program open... and that's it. I think I'm just trying to ask: How do I actually make a website? I don't know what to click or what to do. OK, I think I need to know about web servers. Help, someone help, I'm lost and I'm messing this up. I think I really might cry.

EDIT- Oh, OK sorry about freaking out there for a second. I think I'm starting to understand it. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just settle down and read the help section. Still, any tips would be helpful.

Also, if anyone has any ideas for a title for this little project/website I would like to hear your input on that too. Thanks everyone.

Post last edited by WingedBandit on 11.09.2007, 08:53 PM.

11.09.2007, 08:25 PM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I play video games. I think the stereotype of girls not playing games is a dying one (and besides, companies want to sell games to twice as many people). Besides, I usually beat the guys at Super Smash Bros when I play with them. Muahaha, take that!

I don't have time to play them anymore. I mainly like multiplayer games... playing alone usually feels like a waste of time after awhile, even when the game is good. But there's some exceptions. I'll play single-player games if it's with a group, like if we're taking turns.

My favourite games are all pretty old... most of them are on the Super Nintendo, and I haven't seen much need to get anything new. Shiny graphics and explosions aren't very interesting... I'd rather they put the effort somewhere else.

I do like that they're making games more open ended and explorable though, that's pretty nice. And I've heard that this so-called "Wii" is really fun; I should eventually try it out.

I made a website on Dreamweaver once, I think it was maybe five years ago. It gave the option to not use any HTML, but I think you could do more if you knew HTML.

Post last edited by Mush on 11.09.2007, 10:44 PM.

11.09.2007, 10:43 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by WingedBandit
I think I'm starting to understand it. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just settle down and read the help section. Still, any tips would be helpful.

If there's anything you need particular help with, send me a PM. I use Dreamweaver all the time at school, so if you've got problems I'm happy to help out. ^_^

11.10.2007, 06:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
I play video games. I think the stereotype of girls not playing games is a dying one (and besides, companies want to sell games to twice as many people). Besides, I usually beat the guys at Super Smash Bros when I play with them. Muahaha, take that!

You could not beat me with Samus or Roy!
HA!
I am slowly perfecting the art of wave-dashing.

Anyway.
I thought Id post the Launch Trailer for the expected game of the year Mass Effect as it really shows how far gaming has come and how amazing graphics are nowadays. I cannot wait to get my hands on this amazing RPG by Bioware.

An remember, its all in-game footage, no pre CG-rendered stuff, although it looks like its a CG movie trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVAPOK8GB7o

That was amazing wasnt it?
Even non gamers have to be excited after seeing THAT!

Oh, and I got the Orange Box today, which I am soooo looking forward to playing once I get back from London.

11.12.2007, 10:43 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
HA!

Not only could I beat you, I could do it as Mario, Peach, or Jigglypuff. Just to rub in the embarrassment.

Muahaha... anyway...

I'll stop pretending my gender is superior now.

About Mass Effect, just watching the trailer I can tell you that the majority of those scenes are cutscenes. Not because of how good the graphics are, but because of the camera angles. It would be very frustrating to have angles like that while you're trying to play, even though they do make good cinematics, which is why I guarantee you that it won't feel as nice when you're actually playing. The graphics are nice, but the way people move still makes them look like computer-generated people. Like when the guy falls over after being punched, something about him looks... weightless. I don't know what, exactly, but it doesn't look 'real' to me.

I'd rather just play Super Metroid, which doesn't even try to be real. That way I don't have to be distracted by thinking that I'm actually shooting somebody.

Post last edited by Mush on 11.12.2007, 03:49 PM.

11.12.2007, 03:49 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka That way I don't have to be distracted by thinking that I'm actually shooting somebody.
Hm. And I thought you were a nice girl.

*nervously looks at his games shelf where old copies of Half Life I & II, Hidden & Dangerous, Rome Total War and Doom III still gather dust*

Wow, it's been ages since I played PC games. Reading this thread I'm getting the urge now though.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.12.2007, 03:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
quote:
Originally posted by JRR
HA!

Not only could I beat you, I could do it as Mario, Peach, or Jigglypuff. Just to rub in the embarrassment.

Muahaha... anyway...

I'll stop pretending my gender is superior now.

About Mass Effect, just watching the trailer I can tell you that the majority of those scenes are cutscenes. Not because of how good the graphics are, but because of the camera angles. It would be very frustrating to have angles like that while you're trying to play, even though they do make good cinematics, which is why I guarantee you that it won't feel as nice when you're actually playing. The graphics are nice, but the way people move still makes them look like computer-generated people. Like when the guy falls over after being punched, something about him looks... weightless. I don't know what, exactly, but it doesn't look 'real' to me.

I'd rather just play Super Metroid, which doesn't even try to be real. That way I don't have to be distracted by thinking that I'm actually shooting somebody.

What I meant is that its all in game engine, no CG generated stuff, even the cutscenes.
Trust me, Mass Effect is amazing, and when you decide to play it you wills ee that there is a reason games move on. And get better.

Oh, and try Metroid Prime, that is an amazing game.
If oyulike Metroid. Samus Aran kicks ass.
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/...sfuse-thumb.jpg

Oh and Saddles, if you liked Half Life 2, get the Orange Box.
It contains the two extra episodes (Ie: add ons) that continue the story alongside with the original Half Life 2. Episode 2 is critically acclaimeds as the best shooter EVER.
It also includes the very critically acclaimed Portal AND Team Fortress Two.
Five Games on one disc. I got it for my 360 and i cant wait to play it when I get back from london.
So.. get it if you were a Half Life 2 fan.
Portal is also tied into that universe and is one of the most interesting and witty games to be made in recent history.

Check out some vids on youtube.

Oh, and Im really good with Jigglypuff btw.
And Peach is one of the best characters in the game.
MArio is really good too.
If you wanna pick crappy characters go for:
Pichu, Falco, Game & Watch.
Whats your favourite playing mode?
Stock, bonus, Timed KO?

11.12.2007, 04:35 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I'm a girl. But I don't play games. Video games anyway. Does that count? Sorry, I'm not being very helpful, but I am in a good mood.

11.12.2007, 04:38 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

You should.

Saddles - I am nice! But I'm sure you know being nice is a good way to lose. So...

I can't believe I'm talking about playing video games though. But, why not, I suppose?

Okay. Well, get ready for my video-game rant then.

JRR: I really don't like Metroid Prime. It just feels like I'm being led around by the nose through one corridor then the next. The graphics are pretty and I like how the screen fogs up when I walk underneath a vent or stuff like that, but playing the game just irritates me. I don't like jumping around between platforms when I can't even see my feet. And what's the point of enemies when all you have to do is choose the right weapon, auto-aim, and shoot as rapidly as possible?

Super Metroid felt a lot more like it wasn't trying to keep me from problem-solving. I could play it the way the programmers intended, or I could invent my own solutions, because there was that much freedom. Like (oh boy, such a strange discussion now) if I want to get up to some platform, Metroid Prime will have one way to do it. But in Super Metroid, I can jump off the walls, or use the ice beam to climb on enemies, or do all sorts of things like that. Anything that I can think of, basically. So it feels less restrictive.

Solving puzzles shouldn't be about guessing what the programmer thinks is the right solution. It should be about looking at what tools you have, and finding a way to apply them to the problem. In most cases, there's lots of things that could feasibly work, but the programmer just hasn't considered them or has ruled them out to make you "think" more, or play the game in a certain order.

It's a problem I have with the Zelda games too. They play a lot like Metroid Prime, in the same thought-stifling way (although I like them better for other sentimental reasons). Let's say I'm trying to get some ladder down which is suspended out of reach by some vines, in order to climb up and go through a door. I can't throw bombs at it, or use the boomerang, or burn down the vines with my lantern, or anything like that. I can't just ignore the ladder and climb up with the hookshot. No, the answer is usually that I have to push a button somewhere in the castle, or get a special item (the "ladder-retrieving wand" ) designed for this one specific scenario of getting down this one stupid ladder so I can climb up to the door to fight the boss.

Likewise, when fighting the boss, there's one pattern to use (which usually involves using that one item again, which will never be useful again later). If I don't follow the pattern, I can't do any damage whatsoever, even using all those fancy sword tricks which I've learned (but never found an enemy tough enough to use them on).

So... you can see why I don't like restrictive puzzle games.

Post last edited by Mush on 11.12.2007, 06:01 PM.

11.12.2007, 05:58 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks