QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Animated gifs
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Animated gifs » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Animated gifsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Stupid question probably but if I see an animated gif I like how do I D/L it? Right clicking and 'saving source as' just gets me a bunch of html code (which isn't the gif) and 'saving picture as' just gets me one frame of the animation.

Do I have to know where the original file is stored and get it that way?

Also - does anyone know a good basic guide to making them - I'd just like to capture a few frames from an anime mainly.

Thanks.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.20.2007, 09:13 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you right click and do properties it will give you the URL of the image.

Copy and paste that into your browse address bar then just do file > save as and it should let you save the gif to your computer.

Cant help with making animated gifs as i have never done it, i used to do my animation with flash. But i'd be surprised if a simple program like paint shop pro doesn't do it.

Spungwa

08.20.2007, 09:51 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think if you saved it as a picture it should be saved - you just need to play it back in something that will play all the frames, try opening it in your browser for example.

I'm on a mac, so I just click and drag it where I want.

It might seem like overkill, but if you download the free Photoshop tryout version, it used to come with Imageready, which is great for making animated Gifs... and at least used to still work after the main PS demo ran out. Might be worth a go.

08.20.2007, 10:11 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Also - does anyone know a good basic guide to making them - I'd just like to capture a few frames from an anime mainly.

Assuming you're not going to be buying Photoshop soon, a quick search for "Gif creator" or something similar will yield a lot of results.

As for the actual creation, well just fire up the anime, preferably in a program called "Media Player Classic", search for it on the net. I say this because it can easily save images from the video. If you already have a way to do that than it doesn't matter. Save whatever frames you need, and then all you would have to do is drag the frames in sequentially and save it as a .GIF.

08.20.2007, 10:54 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Brilliant thanks to everyone for your help.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.20.2007, 11:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, image ready is probably your best bet, i dont have it on my photoshop as it is pretty old, for saving them, artoo got it right, it is static until it is uploded to something.

i usually just browse animesuki for any animated gifs, they have tons of people who take requests, i might be extorting them, but oh well.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.20.2007, 03:21 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks