QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Best Romance Films
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Best Romance Films » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Best Romance FilmsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

recently ive been getting more and more taken in by the romance genre and more and more i love it

so i just want you guys to post your favourites so i can check them out and see if i like them thx

post your fav romantic films (can be animation or live action) - ones that made you cry, laugh etc.

08.16.2007, 07:07 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

mine:

1. The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind this film i just can discribe,... you dont know how much i love this film - if you havent seen it yet, do yourself a favour and watch it
one of the best films ever made, let alone the best romance film ever made this one is like none other

2. Lost In Translation - such a subtle romance makes it pure genius - one of the most conterversal but satisfing endings ever

3. Garden State - great fun better than it looks

4. Casablanca - pure classic

i hav more but first i want to hear your recomendations - thx

(btw i dont like typical american comedy/romance much because they are boring, stupid and predictable etc. etc. grrr)

08.16.2007, 07:18 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not a huge romance fan but the highlights of the genre i can think of are

1. The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
2. Lost In Translation
3. When Harry Met Sally
4. The Princess Bride (half romance half comedy but worth watching either way)

Spungwa

08.16.2007, 09:48 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yay go The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and Lost In Translation!!

isnt The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind just the best??!!! lol

08.16.2007, 02:41 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are you interested in romance anime at all?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.16.2007, 03:43 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My youngest baby daughter's middle name is Clementine. In a few days I will become a father again to a little boy and his middle name will be Joel.

I think you can safely include me in the Eternal Sunshine lovers group.

08.16.2007, 07:58 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eternal Sunshine is the best. I loved that movie so much that there are no words . Garden State was also great, a pleasant surprise actually. I only watched it because of a friend and I'm glad I did. And I've never seen Casablanca all the way through...ever. As for suggestions, the ones I've seen most recently and like are Somewhere in Time, Pride and Prejudice and My Fair Lady.

08.16.2007, 09:20 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Be With You (Japanese).

In my opinion, THE best romance ANYTHING I have EVER seen.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2007, 11:40 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Benny and Joon
Sense and Sensability
Pride and Prejudice
Chocoalt

08.17.2007, 03:33 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Lupin
Calcifer

wow Ramah !!!

saddles: Are you interested in romance anime at all?

@saddles - ummm... yh sure although i do prefer live action romances. but wot animated films do you suggest saddles (apart from WOTH lol)

Roarkiller: Be With You (Japanese).

In my opinion, THE best romance ANYTHING I have EVER seen.

@roar - i doubt anything can) beat The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (in my opinionbut ill see if i can get myself a copy and see what i think. thx for your recommendation

08.17.2007, 06:43 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lupin wot animated films do you suggest saddles (apart from WOTH lol)

Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves from Ghibli are both excellent.

Place Promised by Shinkai is excellent although a bit sci-fi-ey.

Kare Kano is good (it includes humour and angst too).

Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl is delightful - forget the all-girl cast, it'll really pull at your heartstrings.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.17.2007, 08:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Lupin
Calcifer

@saddles: ive seen both Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday and i loved them both

and ive been wanting to see Place Promised for a long time however ive never got round to buying it because ive got way too many things going on right now - but i'll get round to it

08.18.2007, 07:33 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As romance films go I think the best one I've seen has to be Brokeback Mountain because it focuses how romances can start and unfortunately end.

Romance films can sometimes be too twee for me and not true to life but Brokeback does it for me everytime

08.19.2007, 12:00 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks