QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  582  583  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Enjoy, Kaz... hahaha, watched a film set in a Scottish forest just now. Cool story, "Brave"

05.09.2015, 03:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
... which is now a Conservative majority government that clearly none of us want.

are you questioning the election?!! i mean people voted them you cant say majority, even not of Scotland people [cause they did not wanted to get separated with uk]

Actually Saviour, there's lots of good reasons why people are completely justified in questioning the election.

Due to the way our political system works, even though only 37% of people actually voted Tory, they got 50% of the seats and as a result won the majority. But that means a huge number of people did not vote for the Tories, but rather a variety of different parties, and thus are completely justifiably angered to have only one party in charge when that doesn't reflect the votes at all. It would make far, far more sense to have a coalition of different parties, since that way a wider range of views would be being represented. As it is there is now nobody to hold the Tories in check when they decide to do increasingly damaging things to our NHS, communications privacy, benefit system etc.

And that's only 37% of the 57% of people in the country who actually voted. Now you can argue that anybody who doesn't vote doesn't really get to complain when they don't like the results, but that's still a lot of people who aren't being represented.

So basically it's a very awkward political system that has resulted in a party being elected that was not actually chosen by the majority of voters, but rather out of all the different parties just got the most votes - if that makes sense?

The first-past-the-post voting system would work fair enough if we were, say, voting on what to have for dinner - since to go with which meals get the most votes makes a lot of sense. But to choose what political party best represents the UK, it is less accurate.

This is all not to mention the fact that some very dodgy things went on with the media in the run up to the election, where Rupert Murdoch was ensuring that there was a lot of heavy pro-Conservatives propaganda which brainwashed a lot of people into thinking the Tories had their interests at heart when they don't.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 05.10.2015, 05:51 AM.

05.09.2015, 07:27 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I get a headache trying to figure out our system of voting here in the States... Instead of a popular vote we have an electorial college or something like that. I am not going to try and explain it because I don't quite understand it all my self.

When you vote for your candidate, you're not actually voting for the person whose name is on the ballpt, but for an unknown electorial college member. Say 100 for a State (an arbitrary number for example). Now basically you've told these people (by your vote) that you want them to cast their balloting towards the candidate that you've chosen as a block of votes. HOWEVER, they are not required to vote exactly as you've indicated them to do... They may split their voting among a number of candidates or even all for one candidate... THEIR choice!!! Now this is only for National elections. Local governments use the popular vote, the most votes wins..

I may not have even gotten it completely right... A very confusing system but, at least it is a choice and not a dictatorship...

oops! edit: ML:
some voting is a simple majority wins and some only requires a certain percentage of the total voting to win...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.09.2015, 09:17 PM.

05.09.2015, 09:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@NC

no i definitely understood those, in-fact i am with you that it is indeed pathetic that you only get to chose the least evil from a list of evil people, but that is democracy, is not it?

there is just no way for smaller parties, with bigger heart, in their mind urge to do something for the people, that sucks.

so rich people are not interested in giving vote, they actually set-up the election[more or less]. my question is what to do in this situation? if you point any finger toward election you are practically pointing it toward the democratic system as that is the only place where people are actually involved.

thats why i said are you questioning the election to kaz.

so when people from developed nation question the democratic system i become a little sad cause in my region to say something openly is quite hard. you can not try to gather people and establish a party and try to win a election here.

but in your country in is quite easy to do that but still most of the young people are so ignorant that the following comment of yours reflects the message perfectly that they are dumb enough to get fooled by media.

quote:
where Rupert Murdoch was ensuring that there was a lot of heavy pro-Conservatives propaganda which brainwashed a lot of people into thinking the Tories had their interests at heart when they don't.

so basically we dont have a choice. then
who is actually running the world?

people are not that is what i can tell atleast

thank you for reading patiently

@husky

man US system is one of the lamest democratic system as it is possible technically to not win even if majority of the people [by number of votes] voted you.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.10.2015, 05:17 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ohhh I see what you mean Saviour! My apologies, I misunderstood you.

Yeah, thankfully at least in our country people are able to question the results. Right now there have been protests going on in London, and I think there will possibly be more.

It's a mix of people who want electoral reform (so representation would be better) and people who want to remind the Tories that they do not support austerity politics, in the hope this might curb some of their policies.

05.10.2015, 05:50 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pretty sure Trudeau might win the next big election for PM here and ahahahaha, we are terrified. Not that we like our current PM. The Liberal government has been screwing up a lot and our Conservative government is... well.. yeah.

Actually, some of the smaller parties in Canada have been getting more seats lately. Which is pretty interesting.

05.10.2015, 08:51 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We've needed proportional representation for at least 50 years.

The fact we haven't got it only shows it would work and the parties in power are afraid/unwilling to implement it.

The fact that one in every two people DID NOT VOTE is perhaps the most damning statistic. In many constituencies that are safe seats for one party or the other it is really and truly pointless to vote against them. With proportional representation I think far more people would vote because each voter knows their vote counts.

I also really detest the 'Americanization' of our electioneering these days. The face to face televised talks are just plain silly because voters should be interested in policies, not politicians. The fact someone has better wit or a better speech-writer or a better make-up artist is trivial.

And Rupert Murdoch seriously needs to have a contract taken out on him to get rid of him. Nasty, greedy, manipulative, poisonous monster.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.10.2015, 06:45 PM.

05.10.2015, 06:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Did initiation with the exchange students. Actually, I wonder what has happened to me to no longer care at all what people think in public and just be super silly and just try things I otherwise used to avoid. XD We played games and charades. Dodge ball was actually fun compared to what it was like in high school. We also lead everyone into this huge silly dance, which was great. lol

For anyone on Facebook, videos of that dance might surface eventually and you can view my supreme moment of awkwardness. Yet someone the students all participated and got super into it. haha

I wish this was a full time gig. I love it. I like also that the goal of this job is also to push us out of our own comfort zones and it turns out to be really fun to do that.

05.10.2015, 09:45 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yikes @ the recent election in the UK. That sounds awful! Not that the states are any better, but still: yikes.

HL: Ate some tasty homemade pizza and didn't feel as tired as I usually do!

LL: Didn't wake up until 11:00 by accident and spent then until 4:00 in a weird mess of anxiety.

05.11.2015, 02:18 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Your recent fun time FFF, that sounds so much fun and a lovely way to get the ice broken among strangers. Everyone needs a little crazy good time in their lives when you dump your inhibitions and party. Its good for the soul and the body's physiology.

LL: Supposed to be moving home today but nobody has told me anything. I haven't had conformation I am moving even. The landlord hasn't responded to the questions the letting agent asked on my behalf early week about the phone number at the property (necessary to know to get an ISP to provide internet), what utility companies are providing services... So I have no removal company booked and nothing done except packing.

I've never known such a weirdly uncommunicative bunch of people before.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.11.2015, 04:38 AM.

05.11.2015, 04:36 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

WL: Well, I'm going to be in Africa for the next little bit, working in a rural province... umm it all happened quite fast. And I'm really excited but sooo unprepared xD

05.11.2015, 05:32 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hl: Princess Mononoke came on dvd today!

Happy late Mother's Day!

05.11.2015, 05:33 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
WL: Well, I'm going to be in Africa for the next little bit, working in a rural province... umm it all happened quite fast. And I'm really excited but sooo unprepared xD

My word. Whereabouts?

Please, please take care! There are some awful things happening out there.

About the only place I'd be willing to go in Africa right now is Morocco or Tunisia and even Tunisia seems a bit unpredictable.

05.11.2015, 07:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi

Ohh! That sounds awesome. Do you know where you'll be headed?

Most people I know who have worked anywhere in Africa usually get along really well with the locals and it changes a lot of their perspectives on life. Is it a short term sort of job? In any case, be safe but I'm sure the experience will be awesome!

Also, thanks Saddle! ^_^ It's really fun just being with them. I'm glad the group of students are such a nice bunch. They're also very focused. My wing of students always study and wake up early. Trying to make friends with some of the boys as well. Luckily, they're all pretty inviting.

05.11.2015, 09:05 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Yay! Kiki...

Hope you're feeling better by now...

@fenkashi...

I agree with Saddles sentiments exactly... be careful! Will you still be able to communicate with us or will you have to wait until you get there? What kind of work are you going to be doing? How long will you be there? Again, please be careful...

@Flare...
enjoy!!!

@Saddles...
Sounds kinda flaky to me... Hope it all work out alright...

@FFF...
Keep having fun with your work, young'n... Be happy...

EDIT..................
topic...

HL:
being able to talk with my friends in the Tavern...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.11.2015, 04:28 PM.

05.11.2015, 04:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Fen

Wow! That's awesome!!!

HL: Watched a lot of Sailor Moon, which was nice. And I made myself some guacamole!

LL: As usual, I barely got any work done all day because I'm tired all the time and I don't know why. Also as usual, I didn't leave the house even once for the same reason. Fortunately I have a doctor's appointment this wednesday? Hopefully the doctor will actually? Be helpful this time? I'm tired of being so TIRED all the time and I would really. Really like to be able to do anything for more than five minutes without getting exhausted???????

05.12.2015, 12:00 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aww thanks for the encouragement and concern, guys <3 I promise to be careful And I'll be in Ghana, so nowhere too crazy. I'll have some sort of internet... not sure how reliable it'll be but I'll be sure to drop by here when I can!

@Saddles: hope you get the move figured out... that sounds bizarre.

@FFF: I'm glad you're having fun again <3 I hope you have a fabulous summer with your new friends.

Post last edited by fenkashi on 05.12.2015, 02:22 AM.

05.12.2015, 02:22 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I hear very little coming out of Ghana, hope its nice and quiet in the right sort of way. What work are you doing? Is it something involved with social/caring/community things?

I think we need a blog from you of that!

Yes, the non-move was really odd. I spoke on the phone last night to the agent again and things are definitely moving today. I'll be sent an e-mail confirmation plus the contract to read/sign, so when I've done that I can accept the keys.

I have a long drive to go collect all my furniture that's been in storage though. That'll be today's LL I am sure.

05.12.2015, 03:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Wow, fen, that would be great...a blog, a Ghana blog!!!

Like the one that Orphic Okapi did on his teaching trip to Japan... Just every few days, write and let us know how you are doing and maybe even some pictures...

If you could fit it in with your schedule, that would be cool...

05.12.2015, 05:04 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
LL: As usual, I barely got any work done all day because I'm tired all the time and I don't know why. Also as usual, I didn't leave the house even once for the same reason. Fortunately I have a doctor's appointment this wednesday? Hopefully the doctor will actually? Be helpful this time? I'm tired of being so TIRED all the time and I would really. Really like to be able to do anything for more than five minutes without getting exhausted???????

This was me my entire teenage years. :/ I struggled (and still sometimes do) a lot with fatigue. I can't even remember what the diagnosis was. I think I had mono at some point but I really am not sure because it was such a blurry time period. Because I was still able to go to school but not allowed to take part in sports..

Speaking of diagnoses, I might have to try to reduce my stress level because it's wreaking havoc on my body. I see my doctor again about that later.. So far stress is the biggest indicator in my health problems. I think the doctor was hoping I'd be finished school, but since I only have a year left she said that was good. I'm wondering if she'll link stress with anxiety, but if she doesn't I'll bring that up with her. Because something is serious amiss with my health.

Also, thanks guys. <3 I just really enjoy working with them and learning to make friends. I'm really hoping this opportunity will give me an edge when I apply to teach in Japan! My only fear is now not graduating on time if I apply in the fall.. Let's hope I pass this entire year!

05.12.2015, 08:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  582  583  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks