QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - [*NO SIGS!*] Isakaya High School – Role-Play Only, Thread #6
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions [*NO SIGS!*] Isakaya High School – Role-Play Only, Thread #6 Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Hmm, sounds alright. But it's somehow doesn't feel connected," I said, scratching my head with my pen. "That was a much older piece of literature, wasn't it? Hard to believe it tangles with this piece of homework," I tapped on his written sentence.

"Makes you wish all this happened closer to the present, you know, so we don't have to go through all this interpretation and stuff."

"Oh hey-"

I tapped a character on his essay- his actual homework.

"You missed a stroke here.And surprise, surprise, it's the kanji for Aoi."

"Did you know that the same character can also be read as "mamoru" (protect)? Interesting, huh?"

[Tech: "Aoi" here means mallow/hollyhock, but is also a common girl's name]

06.25.2008, 08:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
"But it's somehow doesn't feel connected."

"That was a much older piece of literature, wasn't it? Hard to believe it tangles with this piece of homework."
I puzzled over the page for a moment, "There's clearly a connection between the two pieces in my mind, despite the difference in the years they were written. One is of the same school as the other, we know that. Whether one was written by the daughter of the other artist, or the first writer was an older brother..."

quote:
"Makes you wish all this happened closer to the present, you know, so we don't have to go through all this interpretation and stuff."
"Tell you what, it makes me wish we didn't have to study this subject at all. School life would be easier without any of it, don't you think? Unless we discover it'll be a useful subject to us when we leave."

Our conversation tailed off for a few moments as we both considered the problem, then he tapped my book again.

quote:
"You missed a stroke here. And surprise, surprise, it's the kanji for Aoi."

"Did you know that the same character can also be read as "mamoru" (protect)? Interesting, huh?"
"That was careless of me. I've written that character enough times in the last few days... and yeah, I had uncovered that meaning too.

It can mean "inexperienced" as well, which I think is sweet."

06.25.2008, 09:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Inexperienced... is sweet.

"If you weren't so protective of Takako-san, I'd have thought you were referring to something else less pure. NOT that I'm trying to imply anything," I added hastily, raising my hand.

"Would be nice if we had more to continue on," I lamented. "Wish I could just make a copy of that first test (I wrote the word "manuscript" on the paper), makes it easier to prepare for the next."

"I do, however, have another lead, if you're interested. Ready for a math test?"

I took a clean sheet of paper and laid down some lines.

-Natsuba's father had a shadow. Natsuba now displays symptoms.
-Karinushi's brother(?) had a shadow. Karinushi now displays symptoms.
-Ibuki Sagisu had a shadow. _________ now displays symptoms.

I pointed to the drawn line. "Fill in the blanks."

06.28.2008, 09:40 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

After I asked her if she needed help an expression crept over her face. The kind of expressions you have when you want to answer but don't know what to say. In her case, when you badly want to answer.

quote:
“No, no, I finished it. Finishing homework is good. I think…”

She really had no idea what to say.
"It sure is. Definitely better than not doing it."
She then added
quote:
“I expect mine is shorter than yours though…”

I smiled before I replied
It is? Why so? You seem competent enough to get something good done. Definitely better than the stuff I write."
Really? Competent enough? Not so sure about that...

Due to the slightly mundane question and the subsequent confused answers I felt like she was maybe trying to say something else. I leaned in slightly, looked into her eyes and said, in a mock tone of extreme importance, "Is there anything you want to say to me?"

06.28.2008, 03:52 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
natsuba
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by natsuba Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
"It is? Why so? You seem competent enough to get something good done. Definitely better than the stuff I write."
The ground stubbornly refused to open, forcing me to sit there and endure his... well I'm sure he knew I was struggling. I like Takeo, he's so sweet and says nice stuff in a kind way, a sensitive person but he's a horrible tease too, I knew he saw my mistakes and just turned the heat up on me.

Swine.

"Oh, just... you know. Hehe, no reason..."

Then something truly scary happened, he leaned over, I mean right over in a huge wall of bigness and in a serious voice asked:

quote:
"Is there anything you want to say to me?"
"Heeee...! Erm." then something random flashed to me, "Did you enjoy the party? I don't remember seeing you much, did you go home early? I enjoyed myself a lot, I met lots of people, made new friends, it was great, don't you think so? Have you got a highlight of it?"

Post last edited by natsuba on 06.30.2008, 05:12 AM.

06.30.2008, 05:06 AM natsuba is offline   Profile for natsuba Add natsuba to your buddy list Send an Email to natsuba
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
"If you weren't so protective of Takako-san, I'd have thought you were referring to something else less pure. NOT that I'm trying to imply anything,"
A little spark of heat welled up in me, something hot and random. Now I get why Tanaka is exasperated at you, and Fushida yells at you.

You have no idea. This connection, this person… She keeps me sane, without her I’d just go off the deep end.
I merely smiled at him and let it pass. Under the desk my sudden fist uncoiled again.

I came back to find he was saying something else.

quote:
"… could just make a copy of that first test, makes it easier to prepare for the next."
I frowned at him, “Yeah, I heard about that. I missed out on it. I was thinking of going and looking at the papers again, I heard it was an important test. Want to come with me if you need a refresher? Maybe lunchtime?”

We spoke about that a little more then he changed tack again.

You’re very chatty this morning, whose tent flap have you been eavesdropping on this time?

He scribbled out some lines.
quote:
"Fill in the blanks."
I looked at the piece of paper.

-Natsuba's father had a shadow. Natsuba now displays symptoms.
-Karinushi's brother(?) had a shadow. Karinushi now displays symptoms.
-Ibuki Sagisu had a shadow. _________ now displays symptoms.

The first line told me whose tent flap he’d been listening at. Mine. Yesterday morning while I was talking to Kazuo. Oh, well… When Takako is better I’ll have to teach her sign language or something. Or just text her. Talking isn’t a secure medium in 1-A anymore… The second line was no surprise, Tanaka had mentioned Icchan had been involved in that discussion. You changed your tune though? No longer a doubter, hm? The third line though… a name jumped out at me. I took a red pen and circled it.

-Ibuki Sagisu

My mind went back to that incredibly intense conversation with Tanaka behind the shed on Saturday night. I swung round in my chair to face back of class but the mane of black hair was bent down over her desk, studying. Unable to make eye contact I turned back to Icchan, pointing at the circled name. “Isn’t he… Isn’t he the one who wrote the test paper?”

06.30.2008, 06:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I smiled. "Yes he is. Now if you're smart enough to get into this school, you'll be smart enough to know what my plan is."

"The papers though,"
I tapped at the word "manuscript" again, "needs espionage. I can think of three ways."

"One, we ask the teachers for help."

"Two, get somebody in the library club to be our aid."

"Three... we'll that option's a little illegitimate, if you get my drift."

"The last option not applicable unless all methods are exhausted, of course. And the teachers may not be the best people to help us, lest Sergeant Sadist here or Principal Paranoid gets wind of it, and I for one don't plan on allowing either to force a change in test papers, hint hint."

"So that leaves option two."

I leaned forward now, and he did the same. I smiled deliberately, with obvious intentions.

"Wanna make new friends with me?"

06.30.2008, 08:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

She replied

quote:
"Oh, just... you know. Hehe, no reason..."

and I realised that there really was no foundation at all to her question.
Even if you just want to have a mundane chat you need to be able to hold a conversation.
I smiled to myself at her apparent helplessness.

She then replied to my sudden approach with
quote:
"Did you enjoy the party? I don't remember seeing you much, did you go home early? I enjoyed myself a lot, I met lots of people, made new friends, it was great, don't you think so? Have you got a highlight of it?"

As the stream of words gushed out of her mouth I realised that she was just trying to answer, desperately. Like someone falling down a ravine tries to grab on to anything to save his life. I decided to make her grab for her life a little bit more.
Oh, this is fun!

"It was alright, I guess. But that's not what I'm talking about. You approached me asking if I had done my homework eventhough you had no interest in that all. I assume it was a disguise for what you, eventually, really want to tell me. So..."

I looked into her eyes one more time before leaning in a little further, slowly. I turned my head so that my ear was only 10cm or so away from her mouth, as if I expected her to whisper something to me.

"Spit it out."

Post last edited by Loscil on 06.30.2008, 08:50 AM.

06.30.2008, 08:49 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

He went on to explain a plan that rather co-incidentally (now that a certain desk by the window was unoccupied again) meshed completely with my own designs for the lunchbreak. Hearing him talk through it, it struck me that what he was saying was the test papers were kept locked away. Not on an open shelf with the rest of the, uh, 'papers'. That was new information, but not wanting to sound stupid, I acted like that was expected.

What did puzzle me was this mention of Ibuki Sagisu. Tanaka had mentioned him but my world centred on (apart from the obvious) a different Ibuki-sensei; Sagisu-san was an unexpected name. Nevertheless I made agreeable noises, some "Sure, I'll come," noises.

quote:
"Wanna make new friends with me?"
I raised an eyebrow. New friends? You mean you already have some?

"I was talking to Seisaku-san on Saturday. You know. Far corner. Quiet guy. Artist. Weird eyes. Nearly bust his arm last week."

"He's interested in retaking that test too. I was going to check out some reference books with him at lunch as it happens..."
My pen tapped the scribbled word 'manuscript' again, "Mind if I invite him along?"

06.30.2008, 08:58 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
natsuba
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by natsuba Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
"It was alright, I guess. But that's not what I'm talking about. You approached me asking if I had done my homework even though you had no interest in that at all. I assume it was a disguise for what you, eventually, really want to tell me. So..."
Oh, really? That’s… my, that’s a lot of words… Aha. Ha. Ha-ha…

He had… wow, I can only describe them as eyes. That sounds stupid, but these eyes really were eyes, you know? Huge and so… pretty… He came closer, closer.

Waaaah!

In my mind his eyes were headlights, bright and piercing, his head a truck and I was…

…roadkill…

At the last minute the truck swerved aside and I found myself staring at an ear. Holy moly! That was beautiful too! The shape of it! The soft lobe… whooo!

quote:
"Spit it out."
Ah… hahahhaaa…

“Um, it’s… well. Yes. I mean no. I mean…” I lifted a hand from the desk edge where I’d discovered two spare ones clutching at the wood. I brought it up just in front of my face, with my index finger pointing.

“You have. A bit of wax. Just there.”

06.30.2008, 10:41 AM natsuba is offline   Profile for natsuba Add natsuba to your buddy list Send an Email to natsuba
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I frowned.

"Yes, you can," I said. "But I don't think we're on the same wavelength here."

I pulled up my notebook and held it up in my hand in a natural pose, but in such a way as to hide my face.

And my voice.

"Release of that manuscript requires a teacher's permission, and like I said, I don't trust the teachers to keep their traps shut. If you have reason to believe you can trust them, then by all means, continue; it is the best way, I admit that. Hell, I'll gladly join you."

"But I would think it safer to take in one of the librarians under my arm and give me all the materials I need, and maybe more in the future. You never know if there may be more skeletons in the closet."

"And a student is less likely to leak secrets to a teacher. I'm already playing a risky game with Kazami-sensei, I'm not sure I can afford another."

06.30.2008, 12:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Icchan seemed to have misunderstood me and as he explained it all again in detail I realised I must have made it sound like I'd misunderstood him.

"No, no, it's fine. I got you the first time, you want to gain the confidence or co-operation of one of the student librarians."

"You could always join the library club,"
I shrugged, though that seemed rather too obvious.

"I had a run in with Sergeant Sadist last week, he basically told me to stop prying into Shadow related things. I was... threatened... so I don't want to go down route one. It could easily be educational suicide for me - if you follow?"

quote:
"I'm already playing a risky game with Kazami-sensei, I'm not sure I can afford another."
"Oh?" The two phrases "risky game" and "Kazami-sensei" at once added up to a sum total a long way away from four, "I wouldn't be averse to any kind of games there, risky or otherwise. What have you been up to?"

06.30.2008, 06:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
NON-PLAYER CHARACTER
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NON-PLAYER CHARACTER Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

BENIBARA NADASHENKO-SENSEI

I came up to class 1-A and entered to find almost all the students quietly studying away and Akuri-sensei sat at his desk observing them. He’s known for discipline but this class looked especially subdued. What’s he said to them now? More sarcasm and insults? I frowned but then putting aside concerns that were not mine smiled brightly and said a cheery “Ohayou!” to the students.

Akuri-sensei departed, his eyeballs leaving the usual slimy train behind him…

“Now class, please all return to your desks,” (one or two did so) “I trust you all had a good weekend? Refreshed and ready to go? Class reps please collect in the homework assignments, then we’ll begin. Take out your “Otogizōshi : The Illustrated Short Prose Narratives of the Muromachi Period” texts and we’ll move on to “Go Rin No Sho” by Miyamoto Musashi… I need a volunteer to stand and read…”

. . .

. . .

NARRATOR

The Japanese Literature lesson proceeded without incident and at 9:15 the end of period bell went. Today’s PE lesson was swimming for the boys and athletics for the girls, in each case another freshman class combining with 1-A.

The students packed away their things and headed off towards the gym.

07.01.2008, 07:33 AM NON-PLAYER CHARACTER is offline   Profile for NON-PLAYER CHARACTER Add NON-PLAYER CHARACTER to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

"Oh..." I said simply. "Okay."

quote:
"I wouldn't be averse to any kind of games there, risky or otherwise. What have you been up to?"
Now here I was taken aback. I would have thought that with girls, especially a predictable one like Tanaka, would have spilled the beans to everyone who mattered, especially Takako and Sadoru especially.

"Didn't... you mean... didn't Tanaka say anything to you? About what I've been doing?" I asked in surprise.

Before he could answer, Benihara-sensei arrived for Japanese Literature, putting an unexpected stop to everything going on in class. Before he left, I mouthed out "Later" to him, before digging out my books.

07.01.2008, 09:32 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

As I waited for her to say something I saw her fidget in the corner of my eye.
I smiled to myself as I heard her fidgety sense expressed in words:

quote:
“Um, it’s… well. Yes. I mean no. I mean…”

Go on... What is it...?
She lifted a hand and... pointed at my ear?
quote:
“You have. A bit of wax. Just there.”

I sighed to myself as I leaned back into my chair, slightly dissappointed.
Even if she really had nothing to say she could have thought of a better excuse to get out of her slightly embarrassing situation.

"Okay then," I said, "you can tell me another time."
And I added a knowing eye-wink before I turned away.

I gave my homework a last look-over before study period ended.
Then I turned around to check no-one was watching me, especially not Natsuba, before I checked if her ear wax accusation had any truth in it.
See! I knew she was lying!
I gave the unknowing back of her head, she was looking away, a triumphant look before Benibara-sensei came in and Literature started.

07.02.2008, 02:29 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
natsuba
Ohmu

He sighed and went away, I was sorry to see him go, that close up he smelled nice.

quote:
"Okay then, you can tell me another time,"
OK then, I will… um, I wonder what shape you are, Jishu-Ta, and what his plans are for you?

Are you even one of the puzzle pieces?
I had no idea.

“I just wanted to talk, that’s all, about anything. Do I need a reason?” I grinned at his wink but let him go back to his books.

The Japanese lesson passed then everyone began to get up to go to PE. I turned to Kodo-Ra.

“Hi, can I keep you company on the way over?”

07.04.2008, 05:15 AM natsuba is offline   Profile for natsuba Add natsuba to your buddy list Send an Email to natsuba
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japanese Lit. ended, chairs scraped, books thudded, voices chattered. I tidied away and stood up, glancing at her as I went to the back of the room, stowed my textbooks and pulled my PE bag out. I turned. It seemed like no-one else in the room existed, they were there but silent and ephemeral, floating and fading like ghosts. I could see movement around me but it wasn’t real, wasn’t relevant, like one of those artsy movies where everyone but the subject of the person’s attention is shown in slo-mo or see-through. I was Trinity in the Matrix, or maybe Dorothy… and this was no longer Kansas. I had the idea that the whole school was like this, all of Tokyo. Everyone in the world was an irrelevant ghost. Except her. I walked back up the aisle between the desks, it took an age, approaching her from behind her right shoulder. She was still sat, her back bent, her hair falling just so, its rich colour the perfect shade against the Isakaya pale green shirt.

The finest artist couldn’t have prepared two more perfectly complimentary colours on her palette.

My left hand went out and three or four finger pads rested on her shoulder. Warmth. Firmness. You. As I went past her my hand turned, the pads described a half circle. I applied pressure, added my thumb in the briefest of strokes then lifted the hand away. She looked up, I looked down.

“Heading over.” It wasn’t a query, my voice tipped it so it came out as an ambiguous mix of question, statement and command.

Post last edited by Maho_Fushida on 07.04.2008, 05:35 AM.

07.04.2008, 05:32 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I cleared my desk of the exciting and vibrant world of Muromachi period texts, stashed them away in my locker at back of class and grabbed my PE bag. As people began to get up and go I made my way towards the door via a round-about route that took in the corner where Tanaka sat. She was chatting to a couple of the girls near her so I didn’t stop to distract her.

“Ohayo,” I grinned, “Sorry to interrupt, I’m heading on over. With Icchan. Join us if you like?” I had my back to the side door, facing the windows. I glanced up taking in Hibiki beyond her, hoping she’d catch where I was looking, “Or if you want to walk with someone else, that’s cool. Speak later.” I lifted a hand to her as I went.

Near the front door I passed Icchan’s desk, “Alright? Not changing in class today?” I asked, making a gesture as though to pull my towel out of my bag, “I can hide your modesty if you want to get into your swim trunks here.” I looked at him dead pan, wondering if his skin colouration showed a blush of embarrassment as easily as Japanese faces did.

07.04.2008, 08:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I stopped my packing and looked at him wide-eyed.

"We're having swimming lessons today? How come no one told me?"

Trunks... trunks... where ARE mine?

07.04.2008, 11:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
"We're having swimming lessons today? How come no one told me?"
“You didn’t read the note? The one last week listing this weeks sports? That’s not the thorough, well organised Icchan I know.”

“Hn, this could be an interesting lesson… Now where’s my camera-phone?”

I saw Fushida striding up the classroom, a strange detached look in her eyes, almost… predatory. I turned back to him.

“You could ask Fushida-san if she has a spare swimsuit…” I folded my arms and leaned on a nearby desk allowing the luxury of a smile to creep over my face.

I decided I quite liked Mondays.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.04.2008, 12:01 PM.

07.04.2008, 11:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks