QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Books.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Books. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Heart of Darkness is brutal Joesph Conrad is brutal. I had to read that book in English last year. 3/4 of the class failed the test cause no one understood it. I managed the 2nd highest mark with a mid 70%. I would stay away from that book, far away. But that is just me.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.15.2007, 08:07 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's his name! Couldn't remember and was too lazy to go grab the book. I'm actually intruiged by it at the moment but I'm not that far in yet. We'll see how it goes.

Oh you know the most lovely book ever? The Timetraveller's Wife...it has to be the most romantic, sweet fantasy book I've ever read. Not great literature but it's one of those books that takes to the verge of crying but then it gets caught in your throat because it's so beautiful[/i].

11.15.2007, 08:12 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I made sure to etch his name into my most hated authors section of my brain. I will never touch any of his work again.

I think I might start reading Moby Dick tonight, or I might re-read Daniel Quinn's excellent Ishmael

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.15.2007, 08:14 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read the Artemis Fowl books when I was like 10, lol, anyone else read them?

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

11.15.2007, 08:48 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, artemis fowl is awesome.

11.16.2007, 01:42 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read The Arctic Incident one, but Artemis Fowl doesn't appeal all that much for some reason. Maybe it's the mix of sci-fi and fantasy.

11.16.2007, 04:15 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I still haven´t gotten around to reading the very newest Artemis Fowl one, but according to my brother, it wasn´t very good, so I might just not read it at all.

Open source rules!

11.16.2007, 04:47 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read them up to The Opal Deception, because it was dissapointing. The Eternity Code was the best of the lot. Has anyone read The Wish List (same author)? It's short but pretty good.

11.16.2007, 05:31 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

The Eternity Code was really good, but my favourite had to be the very first one. I have to get around to reading The Wish List, but I also have to finish a lot of other books first.

Open source rules!

11.16.2007, 05:34 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
I made sure to etch his name into my most hated authors section of my brain. I will never touch any of his work again.

Okay, I spent some time in History class reading Heart of Darkness and I actually like it so far. Why did you dislike it so much?

Has anyone read The D'vinci Code or Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? I keep hearing mixed opinions about his books...

11.16.2007, 10:08 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I read both of them, well, I read half of angels and demons, i was flying through it then i got Egger's biography and it put me off angels and demons.

Both are good, but make sure that you read them as fiction novels. They have a good story and are interesting history mysteries.

On HOD, it wasn't bad, but it was that there was all this stuff going on behind the scenes, the whole thing is a gigantic metaphor. I hate having to sift though that stuff, it makes me bored.

The premise was good, i thought it would be solid, but it just didn't click at all for me.

Click for Gallery^^

11.16.2007, 10:14 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Nice, I'll check out D'vinci Code then to begin with.

On HoD, haha, that and perhaps the fact that you had to do a study on it for school. A wonderful way to make a person hate a book is by analyzing it to death and then being marked on your analysis. Some of the most amazing books have been ruined for me because of school.

11.16.2007, 11:15 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree. Marks kill everything.

11.17.2007, 02:29 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Sorao
Tanuki

Registration Date: 11.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sorao Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I hate when school butchers the good books you're reading.
That's why I always finish the assigned books 3-4 days in so school doesn't get to kill it before I get to read it properly.

Why can't we stop shooting back?
Is it a vicious circle?
The azure sky is clouded with smoke...

11.17.2007, 02:33 AM Sorao is offline   Profile for Sorao Add Sorao to your buddy list Send an Email to Sorao Homepage of Sorao AIM Screenname: SORAO321
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

I especially hate it when they make us read tiny picture books and THEN make you write a whole three page essay on a thirteen page book with, like 50 words in it...

Open source rules!

11.17.2007, 04:38 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Strange, studying books at A level is what really got me more into reading. We did mostly E M Forster in my last two years at school "A Passage to India" and "Howard's End". HE especially totally opened my eyes to great well written controlled and structured fiction. It left a strong influence on my own writing particularly its repetitive and cyclical themes.

Had I NOT studied and analysed these books to hell and back I might never have done my own writing later in life.

We did however have an awesome English teacher in sixth form, a young guy in his mid-20s who was full of enthusiasm and looked at the world in thesame way we 17 & 18 year olds did. Groups of 10 or so from the class would go round his flat some evenings and listen to music, eat pizza and sit on the floor talking about writing in all its forms. It was a great way to be educated.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.17.2007, 07:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Wow. That would never happen in our school...

Open source rules!

11.17.2007, 07:24 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It probably wouldn't happen today in Britain either. I suspect there is a strict rule in place now that teachers should never take students into their homes. This was back in the late 70s when the world was a simpler happier place.

I'm glad I was being educated at that time, it was a good time to be young. Apart from the music and the fashions that is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.17.2007, 07:36 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, they wouldn't allow that these days. Sounds cool though. I like pizza.

I kinda agree with Saddles about the whole analysis thing. The Catcher In The Rye was mentioned earlier, and I might not have liked it at all if I hadn't been looking for symbolism and the like. But that isn't always the case, I suppose. Maybe a middle ground; being aware of this stuff without having it forced down your throat, would be the best.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.17.2007, 07:57 AM.

11.17.2007, 07:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Being forced to read certain books in school is really frustrating, but I suppose most people in my school wouldn´t ever touch a book unless they were forced to, so therefore, it´s actually a good thing... Even though it contradicts what I´ve been arguing about before...

Open source rules!

11.17.2007, 07:59 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks