QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Video Game Thread.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » The Video Game Thread. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, not the wii yet, but i bet people are working on it. I mean, pretty much everything from ps2 downward is emulated. I want a dreamcast one, but i am not quite sure how they work yet, so i am going to hold off.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.12.2007, 09:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I understand JRR, I know I’m the equivalent of a person stuck watching terrestrial TV while a person with 6 consoles stuffed under their bed is watching satellite TV but taking that analogy further, most satellite channels don’t interest me (and actually a lot of them are junk), I have a life that involves only a miniscule part of TV-watching time anyway and I have better things to spend my meagre budget on than a satellite TV subscription.

The games I like are all PC games, you don’t get any simulators on consoles that you can’t get for PC and all the RTS’s I like are on PC so I just have no need of a console. Even if I had infinite free time and budget I still wouldn’t buy one, I’d buy a better PC and more PC games.

In fact this year I don’t think I have played any games apart from Darwinia, some Rome Total War and now just starting to get into Medieval II Total War. My serious gaming phase ended a couple of years ago when I discovered anime (aha, so that’s where my games budget went!) I have many hobbies but tend to focus on one at a time, gaming is currently out of focus.

12.13.2007, 06:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooo gaming thread like it.

I'm a bit of a gamer, between work, anime and gaming that my free time used up. Well apart from Pub time . But when im in doors anime and gaming is about all i do.

Games im currently playing

PSP -> FF tactics for on the train to and from work.
Just got a Wii so been playing sports and brain adcademy. Planning to buy mario party 8 and galaxies in the very near futrure.

But my true love in gaming is Eve Online
I been playing 3 years now...... and it is still engaging and fun. It basically a MMO version of Elite for the 21st centrury.

Spung

12.13.2007, 07:29 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So Saddle you a flight sim fan.
I always wanted to enjoy flight sims but found that i hated the fact you would have to spend 10 hours practcing how to land a plane before you could play. It why i got in Space Sims rather than flight sims, because they always had auto dock features and stuff so it was just pure dog fighting (and no chance of hitting the floor ) ).
As all the space sims i have played are not based on zero gravity and zero drag because this tends to make a very dull game. In my experience most are actually based as if you are flying in water.

Space sims i have played

Elite (old school on C64)
Wing commander 1, 2 & 3
Privateer 1 & 2
X-wing
Tie-Fighter
Tachyon the Fringe
Freespace

then as i said earlier Eve, and i havent played another game except Eve on my PC since hehe

Spung

12.13.2007, 07:47 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Isnt Eve Online the onlind Space thing where you have your own space craft and join organisations and can take over other stuff etc?

12.13.2007, 07:54 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Spungwa
Tanuki

Yup Eve Online is basically a huge sandbox, were you have a market to buy and sell stuff, build stuff, blow stuff/people up and can fight and own your own space and stations etc. It basically an MMO with no "endgame".
It is basically a set of game mechanics were you can do stuff all based around space flight. So you can for example (and by not means a full list)

1) Fly around and look at the pretty ships
2) Mine asteriods for minerals.
3) Build stuff from the materials.
4) Set up moon mining outposts.
5) Run missions for NPC corpations (corpations are like guilds in most games), which is PvE combat.
6) Head into lawless space and stake a claim to it, which involves building or capturing a space station then defending it.
7) Pirate off other people. Eve has non consential PvP.

Setting goals about what to do is up to the player not the game.

The big difference between Eve online and every other MMO is that EVERYBODY plays the game game, there is only 1 server (well technically 2, but the other is for china only) so everybody is competing/or helping everybody. It is normal to have 30k players online at once.

Spung

12.13.2007, 08:06 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
THe special thing about Okami is the visual style.
It looks like a Traditionl japanese paintbrush painting.
Clover studiosd will not make an Okami sequel.
However hope does exist that it becomes a big hit on the Wii (though it is EXACTYL the sam game, with aded wii funcitonality) and Capcom considers putting someone else on the job of making a sequel.
As far as I know its PS2 exclusive.
Not having a PS2, I might buy it on wii.
Depending on how skint I am at that moment.

Yep it's a PS2 exclusive...

Anyone seen Little Big Planet on PS3?

PS3 Exclusive

12.13.2007, 06:45 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Spungwa
Yup Eve Online is basically a huge sandbox, were you have a market to buy and sell stuff, build stuff, blow stuff/people up and can fight and own your own space and stations etc. It basically an MMO with no "endgame".
It is basically a set of game mechanics were you can do stuff all based around space flight. So you can for example (and by not means a full list)

5) Run missions for NPC corpations (corpations are like guilds in most games), which is PvE combat.
6) Head into lawless space and stake a claim to it, which involves building or capturing a space station then defending it.

The big difference between Eve online and every other MMO
is that EVERYBODY plays the game game, there is only 1 server (well technically 2, but the other is for china only) so everybody is competing/or helping everybody. It is normal to have 30k players online at once.

Spung

Yeah, it seems really compelling. But i know it would be a huge time suck and one MMo is enough for me.
If I ever have too much time on my hands Ill check it out.

And I have heard of little big planet. It does look quite cool, though im still not sure what exactly the point is.

12.13.2007, 07:32 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
quote:
Originally posted by Spungwa

The big difference between Eve online and every other MMO
is that EVERYBODY plays the game game, there is only 1 server (well technically 2, but the other is for china only) so everybody is competing/or helping everybody. It is normal to have 30k players online at once.

Spung

Yeah, it seems really compelling. But i know it would be a huge time suck and one MMo is enough for me.
If I ever have too much time on my hands Ill check it out.

And I have heard of little big planet. It does look quite cool, though im still not sure what exactly the point is.

The point is you make the level's you can do pretty much anything in it....and then upload and share them with your friends too...

12.14.2007, 11:37 AM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Loscil
Baron

I know.
But I h´yet have to be convinced that it is so much better than some professional game developer designing better levels for you.
Dont try to convince me, im not sure where I stand right now anyway.
I just wanna wait for more footage and reviews etc.

12.14.2007, 07:50 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't play many games, the ones I do play are usually classic adventure titles, I like them for their unique stories and puzzles, in comparison to modern games which mostly consist of twitch gameplay with very little thought. Strategy games are quite fun as well.

I tried a newer game called Oblivion but it was just too dull for me to be interested. You had a little compass telling you exactly where to go and exactly what to do. You're in this huge world, what a great opportunity to make a really deep game but instead it's just another simplistic game which is geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Never played console games. However Super Mario World is a classic favourite of mine and I do enjoy some titles like Okami. I find Guitar Hero pointless. Spend the time playing that game actually learning to play an instrument instead.

Post last edited by Theowne on 12.14.2007, 08:50 PM.

12.14.2007, 08:49 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quoted from the "What are you doing now?" thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Atradius
Is that Classic Med or MedII?

I own all of the total war games and with the exception of Shogun I've completed the grand campaigns on all of them at some point, shogun is just seriously difficult. On MedII I completed first time with England, but completed it on hard with France first. My most recent campaign attempt on hardest was as Scotland, but trying to last long enough against England to get a good sized force is very tricky.
MedII. I'm years behind the rest of the planet with most things and only bought this (as I did with Rome) when it had tumbled in price to about a tenner, so I just began playing it recently. This is my first campaign other than a short one as England to get back into the groove again. I like the new addition of merchants and find they are one of the best sources of income and the new religion slant is fun, being nice to the Pope gets you lots of Cardinals and then you can swing the election and get a Pope who is nice to you

I never play the vanilla game but install a mod I like, this one is Stainless Steel v4.1 and its a big improvement being more historically correct and the AI army construction and campaign behaviours are more historical and logical too.

While the battles in these games are nothing like realistic, there is something oddly addictive about this franchise (MedI was the first I played) and I can't wait for TW: Empires to come out. The age of Marlborough, Vauban and Frederich der Grosse is my favourite period of military history. I used to wargame with miniatures a lot, historical stuff only, not fantasy/sci-fi gaming but I gave that up about 2000.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.03.2008, 12:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aye, stainless steel mod is great. I have it, but tend to play the campaign without it. I'm all for realism but if I'm honest that isn't why I play the games to begin with, something about unrealistically sized armies is really appealing. I think also part of my love for the bigger battles comes from wanting to stretch my computers capability. I do keep the unit size down to the 50-60ish mark now though because I used to play RomeTW with 160 sized units, but the AI goes a bit wacky on the larger units, especially if you want to hold formation (I played Greeks, a buggy phalanx is dead phalanx).

quote:
and the new religion slant is fun, being nice to the Pope gets you lots of Cardinals and then you can swing the election and get a Pope who is nice to you.

Yeah, sadly with MedII unlike rome it isn't possible to assasinate the pope. On RomeTW when playing Julii once I took Rome in only 12 turns, as you can attempt to assasinate the leader and they declare war on you immediately. The other personal favourite of mine was Biological warfare, i.e send diplomats to plagued enemy cities before sending them off to other cities, letting the plague spread as they go.

On the subject of wargames I used to play Warhammer fantasy a lot a few years ago(I still have my 3000 point "ish" empire army) and that spawned my love for large scale RTS games. I still play occasionally, and when I can I play in tournaments ect. I competed in the grand tournament at my prime and got knocked out in the 2nd round, to a Nurgle general I think. Damn your Fear!!

02.03.2008, 01:09 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone here ever played Age Of Mythology?

My Anime List

02.03.2008, 01:25 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, although isn't it a bit dated now? Forgive me for saying that, I just haven't payed an AOE* game for what seems like ages.

I'm pretty sure I liked all of them up until and including AOEmythology, but after that I can't help thinking it's just gotten silly. I didn't like AOE3 at all, it had lost some of what made the AOE games great and I haven't played since it's release.

Actually thats a lie, I was playing AOEGold Edition: Rome only a few days ago when I happened to find it in a random DVD case.

*AOE=Age of empires, in case you hadn't guessed.

02.03.2008, 01:50 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Atradius
Aye, stainless steel mod is great. I have it, but tend to play the campaign without it. I'm all for realism but if I'm honest that isn't why I play the games to begin with, something about unrealistically sized armies is really appealing.
I'm a realism freak (my anime tastes follow this) and a historian, especially political and military history, so I like my battles to be as realistic as practical. I use the huge unit setting. In R:TW some units were 240 men but the biggest in M2:TW seems to be 160. The TW game engine can never produce realistic battles (you'd need 100,000 men, ten hours playing time and a Cray) but I like to get the game to play them as historically as it can. When a big battle begins I'll often manouver around for half an hour gaining the tactical superior position where there is one, high ground usually and I never like chasing after every single routing enemy with my cavalry but letting him get away with something to recover and fight again.

But, yeah, addictive. And very pretty to look at.

02.03.2008, 02:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Starseed
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Starseed Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Final Fantasy too, but I actually haven't beaten a single FF game I'm embarrassed to say. I have 9, 10, 10-2, and 11-- the farthest I've gotten was the gatekeeper in 10, but I was underleveled so I restarted the game using just Lulu, Auron, and Tidus, so I'd be more than prepared. I don't play video games very often anymore because I'm lazy, which is the reason why.

02.17.2008, 02:18 AM Starseed is offline   Profile for Starseed Add Starseed to your buddy list Send an Email to Starseed
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i wanna get an ff game sooooooooooo badly....
my fave xbox game is sonic riders.
and i love spyro games on my nintendo ds, i just completed eternal night.
looks like theres gonna be a third...

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

02.20.2008, 11:06 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Starseed
I don't play video games very often anymore because I'm lazy, which is the reason why.

I'm just the same. And I don't complete anything either! Well, that's also partly because no matter how much I might enjoy games, I suck at them anyway. xP

02.21.2008, 05:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

I'm finally getting my hands on Bioshock and dEvil May Cry 4 today!
Weehee!

About the completing thing.
When it#s about classic games, often I dont complete them.
Because they get too hard!
Like.. I'm really far in Super mario Bros 3, but tis too hard to continue
and I just cant be bothered to try it again and again an again.
But when it comes to modern games, particularly those with a story line, I always complete them.
In fact, I've completed Gears of War and Mass Effect twice!

I cant wait to play Bioshock.

02.21.2008, 07:48 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks