QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Homework of the Video Game Variety
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Homework of the Video Game Variety Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

presuming your focus is what you said at the beggining still you could always go with something as simple and unoriginal as 'GameGirl' or 'Girl-Gamers'... perhaps something with an obvious perverted undertone: 'Things Girls Play With'.... or not.. sorry about that actually

11.14.2007, 02:49 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL. Yeah, that could work.

I acutally got desperate and wrote down on little pieces of paper a bunch of words that reminded me of girls and video games. Then I threw all the words in a hat and pulled them out at random. These were some titles I got out of the hat.

The Hearts with Mario
Princess Escape Kingdom
Happy Awesome Skirts
The Pink Gal

These were silly, but I was having fun so I threw them back in and did it again.

Escape Skirts
Pink Awesome Games
Happy Hearts Strength
Rock the Princess Gal and Mario (This one is my favorite)

Post last edited by WingedBandit on 11.14.2007, 04:42 AM.

11.14.2007, 04:41 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like playing games like Spyro (The old ones; 1, 2 and 3, Woot!) and Crash Team Racing. I have Pokémon, too.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

11.14.2007, 05:49 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well Winged, for your site, i dont really have any suggestions right now, ill let you know if i do, but one thing you could do is make it really urban and 'hip' by throwing in some simple spelling mistakes

for example: if your goin to use the word 'Girl' spell it 'Gurl'

11.14.2007, 02:09 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm... names. Tough...

quote:
Originally posted by WingedBandit
The Hearts with Mario

That reminds me, there's supposedly a game called "Kingdom Hearts" that is popular among females, but I've never played it. Maybe some variation on that would work?

Alternatively, Nintendo's new motto is "Wii play." So maybe this could be "We play too."

Hmm... that's about it for now that I can think of...

Post last edited by Mush on 11.14.2007, 10:17 PM.

11.14.2007, 10:17 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I know Kingdom Hearts. I am actually totally obsessed with it. I like "We Play Too."

The only other title I came up with was: O.P.A.C.
As in Our Princess is in Another Castle

I thought it was kind of catchy.

11.15.2007, 04:32 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ooo i love "We Play Too"

11.15.2007, 04:40 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
WingedBandit
Tanuki

I was going between We Play Too and OPAC. I finally decided OPAC. But I would like to use the phrase We Play Too on the site.

Thank you so much everyone. I know I have been away for a while, all I can say is that school ruins my life.

Anyway, I would like the any girl gamers here to do me a big favor and write a little something that I can use on the site. I would very much like it if ..Ayami.., Kazegami, Mushka and anyone else who is female and likes video games to participate.

I was going to give specific questions, but I would rather just give you a general direction and have you write what you want.
Some suggestions:
What games do you like? Why?
What do you think of being female and a gamer? Do you find it weird/exciting/akward?
What do you want to tell the world about yourself?

You can give a little background on yourself if you want. I'm going to post what you write under a featured players section. Hopefully, if all goes well, it will be up in 1-2 weeks. Thanks for your time everyone!

Oh! Also, who is your favorite video game character? This question is a must answer, because I'm going to be making little icons for you guys... er girls. Thanks again.

Post last edited by WingedBandit on 12.05.2007, 06:42 AM.

12.05.2007, 06:40 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
well Winged, for your site, i dont really have any suggestions right now, ill let you know if i do, but one thing you could do is make it really urban and 'hip' by throwing in some simple spelling mistakes

for example: if your goin to use the word 'Girl' spell it 'Gurl'

Actually, no, please don't do that, it looks awful. And cheap. And ignorant. Spell correctly and use a clean clear but arty layout, you are not just talking to a small baseball-cap wearing gum-chewing demographic, but everyone who visits.

12.05.2007, 10:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm with Saddles on that one. I don't want to be a gurl.

I can't answer all of your questions today because I should probably get back to studying. I'm glad this thread is still alive!

I can probably answer this one:

quote:
Originally posted by WingedBandit
This question is a must answer, because I'm going to be making little icons for you guys... er girls. Thanks again.

It's hard to choose... but since I'm going to be an icon, I'll rule out any male characters as my favourite. Sorry Mario!

Samus is an obvious choice as a strong female character, but someone else will pick her for sure. And there's a whole host of scantily-clad, impossibly beautiful RPG characters... but no thanks.

I'll go with someone a little more obscure. I was really obsessed with this character as a kid. Maybe that's why I turned out the way I did.

Cookie for anybody who knows who this is!

Post last edited by Mush on 12.05.2007, 03:58 PM.

12.05.2007, 03:57 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It definitely looks familiar... but since I couldn't figure it out, I cheated and looked at the URL: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/...ngair/lucca.jpg

Lucca by any chance?

12.05.2007, 04:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

Cheater. No cookie for you.

Okay, can anybody guess the game... Without googling for "Lucca"?

Post last edited by Mush on 12.05.2007, 04:08 PM.

12.05.2007, 04:07 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I actually did cheat again, and got the answer. But I won't say what it is this time.

What I will say is that I should've been able to figure it out without the help of Wikipedia. xP

12.05.2007, 04:36 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, no idea, but she's got awesome knobbly knees! And I see she's carrying the standard engineers all-purpose-fix-everything tool, the hammer.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.05.2007, 07:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
And I see she's carrying the standard engineers all-purpose-fix-everything tool, the hammer.

I know what you mean about the hammer. I even use one to clean my windows!

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.05.2007, 07:38 PM.

12.05.2007, 07:37 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
Cheater. No cookie for you.

Okay, can anybody guess the game... Without googling for "Lucca"?

Oh I have this one, I think...Chrono Trigger? Or is it 'Tiger'??? Lol, one of those two.

12.05.2007, 08:14 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fenky got it, I was just about to ring in with the answer.

It is Chrono Trigger. I love the game, really well made, i am stuck at the last boss and have neglected it for a while, I tend to do that with rpgs.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.05.2007, 08:39 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Mush
Baron

Cookies for Fen and Sanfan. I bet they didn't cheat.

Okay, I should caution that I don't usually think this much about games. I'm not that much of a gaming nerd. But since it's for a project, I'll do the best I can.

What games do you like? Why?

I'm tempted to say "good games", because I'm enough of an elitist to think games I don't like are bad. It's hard to completely define what makes a game good, because so many good games have very little in common.

One thing that good games do have in common is "replayability". Sort of like how classic literature comprises books that retain their meaning and enjoyment well past their original intent, I can say that when I find myself picking up a game again years after I've beaten it, and enjoying it as much as the first time I played, then it's a good game (provided I actually enjoyed it the first time). For me, that's the perfect test.

To find a more specific way to discern a good game from a bad one, I'll start by giving a list of all the games I can think of that make me smile just by thinking about them.

Approximately (but not really) in order of development:

Super Mario Bros
Kirby's Adventure & Kirby Super Star
Lemmings
Lunar II: The Eternal Blue
Super Metroid
Mega Man X
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Red
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Super Smash Bros

If you're an older gamer and you're reading this list, you're probably nodding and smiling too, nostalgically remembering all the good times you've had with these games. You're also probably fuming mad because games you really like didn't appear on the list. Well, I never played Halo or Final Fantasy 7, so don't kill me. I've never played a Wii, a Playstation, or an Xbox. I expect that if I did, I'd have to buy one, and that would cost me a lot of money.

If you're a new gamer and you're reading the list, you're probably thinking "what in the world? I don't even know what she's talking about. What is Lunar? What is Chrono Trigger? How could you possibly enjoy a game that was released in 1985?"

Well, there's not much I can say. I myself sometimes wonder how 8-bit sound can have such a deeply emotional impact. But it rarely fails.

What do you think of being female and a gamer? Do you find it weird/exciting/akward?

Only when I mention it to other girls, so I rarely do. In truth, the guys all seem to think it's the most amazing thing ever. Which is kind of funny, seeing as how many girls spend so much time and money trying to impress guys, when they could just be having fun playing video games.

Guys? Do I have confirmation on this one?

What do you want to tell the world about yourself?

Um, what does the world want to know? I'm normal, I live a productive life, I love nature and mornings and books and photography and I don't spend my life in dark basements trying to futilely level up my characters or earn points and bonus levels.

Video games are fun because they combine a good book, a challenging puzzle, a work of art and a beautiful soundtrack all in one.

Post last edited by Mush on 12.06.2007, 02:11 AM.

12.06.2007, 02:08 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I barely game anymore but if you'd like I'll give you answers ^_^

12.06.2007, 03:17 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well I’m a guy so my thoughts are not relevant to the poll but a few things you said here. Mushka caused me to think a bit and respond.

quote:
I'm not that much of a gaming nerd. But since it's for a project, I'll do the best I can.
You come across as more of a gaming nerd than I am, but I used to play games a lot and these days I hardly do at all. I no longer have the time. But I would tend to play simulators which have literally thousands of hours of play value and are (if well written) infinitely moddable which is one of their main appeals. I played one simulator straight for about 5 years to the exclusion of almost everything else.

quote:
One thing that good games do have in common is "replayability".
Now that’s interesting. I have never replayed any linear game, ever. Once through and that is enough for me. “Linear” games to me are shooters or puzzle games or adventure games that are scripted to end in a finale. They don’t hold any appeal a second time round. But simulators, and in here I include driving games that are free-form (like the Midtown Madness franchise and Insane and such) will hold my attention for months. Playing races on these isn’t what I’d call ‘replaying’ since you’re not actively doing missions or fighting level bosses or even trying for the championship, you’re just having fun racing others online or the AI.

To me though, it’s hard to define what I like. It just has to touch a certain nerve or deep need or interest in some way. The Half-Life franchise does this. Darwinia did this beautifully. The Total War series (while being historically as accurate as a Hollywood movie) does this. Quite a lot of the second world war tank combat games excite me because of the period of history even though again they might be historically and in terms of their physics engine, hopelessly poor.
quote:
If you're an older gamer and you're reading this list...
I’m an older gamer and I’m reading this and what strikes me is why someone your age plays/played such ancient games. If I’m not mistaken you’re not yet 20 but you play games made years before you were born. How so?

quote:
…the guys all seem to think it's the most amazing thing ever. Which is kind of funny, seeing as how many girls spend so much time and money trying to impress guys, when they could just be having fun playing video games.

Guys? Do I have confirmation on this one?
Now this is interesting and is worth including on the website - “Do guys go for girl gamers?” or some such snappy title.

I’m not sure about this. Yes, it’s refreshing to meet girls who are gamers simply because they are a minority but on the other hand I actually prefer girls who spend time and money – not exactly trying to impress – but certainly being feminine. We’re getting away into grey areas of personal taste in the opposite gender here so I’ll stop, but I would be suspicious of any girl who came across as a gaming geek because I’d fear they’d be just like a guy who was a gaming geek and I hate them. Tiresome boors every one. No, for me it wouldn’t matter at all – if they were seriously geeky it would discourage me but if they were a casual gamer with an otherwise balanced life it’d not affect my view of them either way, it would merely generate one more discussion topic. Other aspects of their personality are far more important.

Of course the next guy who is, say, a serious gaming geek who met a female serious gaming geek might find himself in multi-player heaven (in more ways than one).

quote:
Video games are fun because they combine a good book, a challenging puzzle, a work of art and a beautiful soundtrack all in one.
I tend to be drawn in by good artwork and character design and good music of course but what I mostly crave is an engaging storyline that feels like someone expended a decent chunk of the budget on it. A plot that makes you think and wonder and have “whoa!” moments of revelation (I’m thinking Half-Life again here) is a game I’ll enjoy right to the last frame. A cheesy, hackneyed storyline that feels like a last minute thought after the beautiful artwork (Doom anyone?) won’t hold my interest no matter how pretty (or gory) it is.

12.06.2007, 06:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks