QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Documentaries that Shaped the Earth...(or just ones you like)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Documentaries that Shaped the Earth...(or just ones you like) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think we all can accept that our weather systems are going through a period of change. What is causing it is what interests me. Man or nature?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.30.2007, 12:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i smell the aroma of another argument/"discussion"

i would say nature.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.30.2007, 12:03 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Heh heh, relax. I'm not able to discuss it as I've not formed an opinion. I assumed it was man's output of general crud but basically you can read any number of convincing scientific papers that give solid arguments on both sides.

With a subject like this I would ignore ALL TV programmes and articles in non-professional journals, you do need to read scientific papers to be informed about such issues.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.30.2007, 12:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

TV programmers are already biased. I get my information from talk radio. Coast to Coast am has provided many a good argument that i tend to support. To me, it seems like global warming would be a bit of both, but moreso on the nature side. Mans effect really is hard to measure as you have to take these outside planetary issues in hand as well.

i really am not that informed but i have enough knowledge to determine in my mind that it is more nature than man.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.30.2007, 12:21 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, sorry, I'd bin all radio talk shows too

The people on them have the same bias as TV writers.

I'd rely ONLY on scientific papers. And I bet very few of us have read any of them

Of course you could argue that writers of scientific papers have a bias (some are commissioned by governments for Pete's sake) but I think the higher up the food chain of informed opinion you go the safer ground you're on.

TV and radio is down there with the people wearing sandwich boards proclaiming the end of the world tomorrow...

12.30.2007, 12:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

radio is much better than tv. I do agree that it is bad, but really, it is closer than tv to something that is legitimate. Most radio use their bias to their advantage, they have their opinions and they convey them. Tv usually has the opinions of the companies owning them. The hosts are talking heads with no opinion of their own.

And not to mention, everything is biased by something. might as well just pick whatever biased side we like best and stick with it.

Click for Gallery^^

12.30.2007, 12:53 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Of course, but with something as important to every one of us as global warming you can't afford not to pick 'the right side' can you?

I mean Britain has entered into a veritable frenzy of recycling in the last 5 years trying to cut down on stuff we dump in land fill sites or incinerate, while across the pond George Dubya is chucking out crap from his factories without a care (or almost without one).

Who is right? Going green costs governments and nations millions, money better spent on many other things, so if Dubya is right we are wasting millions of pounds and if the greens are right Dubya is leading us all to an earlier grave.

Or maybe the Chinese are...

You can't afford to back the wrong horse in this race ('you' being a national leader.)

12.30.2007, 02:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OOHkay. Global warming! Uh oh, I was worried it would come down to this. In fact, I think I should reply by PM because otherwise I'm going to drag the whole post off-topic.

But in my mind, the answer is, "very very likely man".

By the way, researching global warming is the kind of thing that google scholar is very good at (unlike, say, researching ninja history).

Post last edited by Mush on 12.30.2007, 02:07 PM.

12.30.2007, 02:05 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well I haven't formed an opinion as I said so I can't get into the nitty gritty, please don't PM me hoping you'll get a sensible answer. So why not post here. Or maybe start a new Global Warming thread and leave this one for general documentary discussion? 'Tis a free world.

12.30.2007, 02:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I really have my senses attuned to fledging arguments. I really don't need to worry about global warming, if the majority of it is of nature. I can't stop mother nature, so i might as well just let things run their course.

Click for Gallery^^

12.30.2007, 02:19 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
I really have my senses attuned to fledging arguments.
No you don't!

12.30.2007, 02:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK... I thought Inconvenient Truth was utter trash. Because (solid-concrete, titanium-plated reason coming up): Al Gore seems to have missed one thing - CO2 goes up AFTER global temperature goes up.

And he's trying to tell us that CO2 is the cause of global warming?? Wtf??

Global temperature fluctuations are a natural thing! Hello? They have been happening repeatedly for millions of years. How does he think we emerged from the ice age? Prehistoric gritters?

Rant over.

Regarding my favourite documentary... I like nature documentaries, so there are several I like. Planet Earth was very good, Land Of The Tiger was excellent - it covers the nature across India and the Himalayas, really interesting stuff. Blue Planet was great, Andes To Amazon, Wild Carribean, Wild Africa... all very good, interesting, informative series.

12.30.2007, 03:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
No you don't!

Sure. Fine. Think whatever you want to justify it to yourself. But once again, we have a debate.

Click for Gallery^^

12.30.2007, 04:24 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
No you don't!

Sure. Fine. Think whatever you want to justify it to yourself. But once again, we have a debate.

I'd hoped the big and the fact that I was parodying a Monty Python sketch made it clear that was a joke.

I'm not going to argue with you mate, it's Christmas / New Year, I'm in a great mood and I don't wanna fight, so I'm off to do some chilling.

12.30.2007, 06:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I knew you were kidding, I was sure my sarcasm was evident. I gather not, but issues such as these always seem to veer close to argument.

Click for Gallery^^

12.30.2007, 07:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

EDIT;

Rather, I'll just post this link in general.

http://gristmill.grist.org/skeptics

"How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic", by Coby Beck.

It answers many of the arguments brought up against global warming, including the two mentioned earlier in the thread (CO2 lags, not leads - and that global warming is natural changes in climate)

Post last edited by Theowne on 12.30.2007, 08:40 PM.

12.30.2007, 08:14 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Chef
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chef Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry for the revival. I find this topic particularly interesting.

Thin- a documentary by HBO on eating disorders was one of my favorites. Lauren Greenfield's films and photography are very powerful.

Planet Earth- Gorgeous. Aboslutely gorgeous in HD. The footage was not the same old same old nature footage you see regurgitated on tv all the time. Don't get me wrong, cheetah hunts are pretty cool, but not if they're the only things you see. My personal favorite was the African Wild Dog and Wolf hunts. Those made my week.

Anyways, those are my two favorites.

02.22.2008, 08:49 PM Chef is offline   Profile for Chef Add Chef to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks