QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Books.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Books. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

people,im 14!
and,for your infomation,i read at a year 12 level!while theclass is struggling through the first chapter of an assigned book,i finished two days ago!
sorry, i hate it when people under estimate me...
8]

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.12.2007, 10:27 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

11.12.2007, 10:28 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

we werent trying to say you couldnt read as well, just that it could be that as someone who is a little younger your interests might lie in more active storylines.. admittedly, the middleearth novels can be almost unbearably tedious at times. i read the lotr series at age 15 and can recall large slabs of descriptive writing (especially in the last book) of which i scanned through without even really taking in. in that sense, when i was closer to your age i didnt enjoy or understand it as much as i do now you see.

11.12.2007, 10:46 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Heh . . . I gave up on LOTR after the first chapter of "The Hobbit." It just kept babbling on and on about different families and villages and the history behind the families and villages, and none of it seemed very relevant to what was happening in the story (this very well could be because nothing was happening). Though, that was a very long time ago; maybe I would be more open to the style now.

11.13.2007, 12:08 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
ah, ok thanks. another add to the list of things to do after school is finally over.

I think Mar might be younger then you and i, if only by a little and maybe this is why the book didnt speak to her as much.

Well..
The first time I read it I was 13 or so and I read all of it but it was heavy stuff and I didnt really understand it.
2nd time I ralised how amazing it was.
But it is heavy stuff and I know many people who dont like it regardless of their age.
And you dont read it because youneed to know things, yuo read it because oyu want to know things.

You dont have to have read LotR, although it does help as it gives you htose mmoments when oyu realise how it all links together. You'll think "Oh thats where Galadriel comes from" etc, otherwise you wouldnt know who she is.
Ive read all the LotR once and Silmarillion three times. Its not necessary ot re-read it at all if you havent read it in a longer period.

But I warn you, its difficult and abstract, especially near the beginning.
It jumps back and forth for a long time and you have to be patient and white because it all comes together nicely.
I think its amazing.

11.13.2007, 04:22 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cool, perhaps i will give it a try. except it probably will be a stretch for me as lately i have been readin short stories only.
i love Raymond Carver.

11.13.2007, 10:06 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
LiamOfDoom
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.07.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LiamOfDoom Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think The Wereling series is really good.
Books in general are a pure inspiration.

If I Was Your Vampire, Death Waits For No One.
Hold My Hand Accross Your Face Because I Think Our Time Has Come.

Marilyn Manson

11.13.2007, 10:25 PM LiamOfDoom is offline   Profile for LiamOfDoom Add LiamOfDoom to your buddy list Homepage of LiamOfDoom
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you always read that on the bus!

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.13.2007, 10:27 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found the book "hovercar Racer' by Matthew Reilly really good, it was awesome!
I recommend it to anyone who wants an exciting book to read. And anyone with a good imagination.

Open source rules!

11.13.2007, 10:29 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by tariss-of-mar
I found the book "hovercar Racer' by Matthew Reilly really good, it was awesome!
I recommend it to anyone who wants an exciting book to read. And anyone with a good imagination.

It's what i like to call a "filler book".. the type you might read as a break between other books.. I have to say i only found Ice Station decent out of Reily's novels, but i can understand why you like it.

11.13.2007, 10:33 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

I loved it, so you've read it, ay?
Anyone else read some of the Chris Ryan books? such as flash flood and wildfire?
Or Anthony horowitz?

Open source rules!

11.13.2007, 10:35 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

afraid not, what are they like?
Ive not been able to read anything novel-lentgh except my school books (which were mostly dissapointing to say the least) all year.

11.13.2007, 10:39 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone here read Murakami?

He's not a flawless writer by any means, but he always manages to fascinate me.

11.14.2007, 12:16 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How about some literary stuff?

I really liked Catcher in the Rye. I had to read it for school, but if I'd known about it beforehand, I would have read it on my own anyway.

Another one that had its moments was Catch-22. You may or may not like it... but it's worth reading for the cultural references alone.

The Picture of Dorian Gray was a good read, although a little dark. Perhaps darker than Catch-22, even. And you have to ignore the four-page rant about jewels somewhere near the middle. But what makes the book worthwhile is Oscar Wilde's cynicism. You often can't go three pages without reading a line and thinking "he's completely wrong. But so clever. I'll have to remember that one for later."

A Tale of Two Cities I do not recommend at all, except for the last chapter, which is breathtaking. But you pretty much have to know what's going on already.

11.14.2007, 12:18 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
A Tale of Two Cities I do not recommend at all, except for the last chapter, which is breathtaking. But you pretty much have to know what's going on already.

I agree that the first half of the book (with the exception of the classic introductory paragraph) is pretty dull, but don't you think it was all worth it for that fantastic ending?

"David Copperfield" is my favourite Dickens, but "A Tale of Two Cities" undoubtedly has one of the most moving endings ever written. I remember hearing that it was initially outlined to be the conclusion of "Great Expectations".

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

11.14.2007, 12:35 AM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
afraid not, what are they like?
Ive not been able to read anything novel-lentgh except my school books (which were mostly dissapointing to say the least) all year.

They´re pretty exciting, especially flash flood, which is the first one.
How about for a good ol'convo, the chronicles of Narnia... Anyone read them? lol.

Open source rules!

11.14.2007, 04:48 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Blood_ruby_star_of_doom
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Blood_ruby_star_of_doom Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hi everybody

11.14.2007, 05:04 AM Blood_ruby_star_of_doom is offline   Profile for Blood_ruby_star_of_doom Add Blood_ruby_star_of_doom to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Yes, hi, have you read the Chronicles of Narnia?

Open source rules!

11.14.2007, 05:05 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought the new book by Karl Pilkington.

Funniest thing I have ever read.

11.14.2007, 07:13 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Lovecraft
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.14.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lovecraft Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Very good, disturbing book in a physcological sense is H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu books, very good stuff and also anything Crime Related goes for me especially Val McDermid.

11.14.2007, 09:16 AM Lovecraft is offline   Profile for Lovecraft Add Lovecraft to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks