QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Homework of the Video Game Variety
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Homework of the Video Game Variety » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

dont know if this will help Bandit, but in my experience females tend to be all-together less fascinated by video games, ie; JRR is up on the brand new game with its brilliant graphics while Mushka sticks to one of her slightly older favourites.
I think girls are more attracted to cute characters and simplistic but highly entertaining gameplay most of the time.
For the your record i can tell you that my girlfriend likes mario kart, super smash bro's and donkey kong.
Im not a huge gamer but i have my more "boyish" favourites too: tekken, medal of honour frontline, yoshi's island and age of empires 2.

11.12.2007, 08:01 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting. Of those games you posted, only Yoshi's Island appeals to me. Maybe you're right.

11.12.2007, 08:50 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Or it could be because Yoshi's Island is a classic and one of the greatest games of all time. Along with Super Metroid. These modern games just can't compete.

11.13.2007, 12:20 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Or it could be because Yoshi's Island is a classic and one of the greatest games of all time. Along with Super Metroid. These modern games just can't compete.

true. in few cases do good graphics and modern technology win out against good classic gameplay. very rarely is a game added to the list of classics.

11.13.2007, 02:06 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whoa, Mushka turns scary, she's a gamer! I had this really cool picture of you as a sensible uni type with a huge brain and able to construct very hard to defeat arguments in political and religious threads....

I'm impressed! New person!

*bows*

quote:
JRR turned over in bed and muttered something about:
if you liked Half Life 2, get the Orange Box.
It contains the two extra episodes (Ie: add ons) that continue the story alongside with the original Half Life 2. Episode 2 is critically acclaimeds as the best shooter EVER.
It also includes the very critically acclaimed Portal AND Team Fortress Two.
I might just do that. And ah yes, Portal. I recall reading up a preview of that loooong before it came out thinking how amazingly cool it sounded. And since its a totally free universe I imagine Mushka would love it.

And Team Fortress! ZOMG! I wasted weeks, no months! of my life online with TF1, it was the first online gaming I did. I used to love playing engineer and hiding sentry guns in impossible to get at corners, climbing up on 3 people's shoulders to tuck it up in some dark roof beam recess or some such so that EVERY enemy who got into your flag rooom got nailed and with no idea where from! Awesome game! I was in a reasonably good clan once too - ah, the good old days. I expect my eye-hand coord is rubbish these days...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.13.2007, 03:04 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Team Fortress Two has the smae physics style and retains the classes which are now more symbiotic, but has a very different art style.
Heres the trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a7ozG-YNLNg

And portal is not really a free universe. Its set puzzles, which makes it quite a short albeit brilliant game, TRAILER!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oeUjVkJ7seY
(that trailer is soo awesome!)

@ Mushka, if adventure games are not your style because they are not open enough, try Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion. Its an adventure RPG and its oo open and huge that you cna literally do what you want.
You can perfectly level up your side character without doing any of the main story. You can join any guild which entails it throng of missions:
Magician
Swordsman
Thief
Assassin
And manymore (being an assasinis awesome, you can become a vampire!)

Otherwise maybe you should try shooters or so which rely on the fact of keeping you on the path and dont ry to feel like your free to do what you want.
I love Mteroid Prime and ZElda btw. Two of my favourite games.

11.13.2007, 03:39 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

oh my goodness mushka! you and i have very much the same taste in video games ^_^

and wow JRR, i've rarely come across anyone (other than on smashboards.com) that actually know how to wavedash! this is kind of exciting... =D have you mastered your SHFFLC's yet?
i mainly play Ness, Fox, Marth (and sometimes Mario, Ice Climbers, and Pikachu)

but i must disagree with you JRR on the point of falco. you said he was crappy. i don't ever play as him, but in well-respected SSBM tier lists he is usually considered 2nd to 5th best (up there in Top/High Tier with Fox, Shiek, Marth, and Peach).

right now, other than waiting patiently for the delayed Super Smash Bros Brawl, i'm playing the newly released Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, for DS!
NES, SNES, and Arcade games are good also =D

ANYWAY, to be sort of on-topic (sorry WingedBandit >.<), here's what i've noticed about female gamers: first of all, i'm not one (female... i am a gamer). and you don't see many of them (compared with males anyway). Nintendo certainly seems to be more popular among the ladies. i personally know only one girl who plays halo 3 (for XBox, but she plays more nintendo games than any other. nintendo certainly is currently looking to appeal a wider variety of people (insted of the usual male of 7-25 years.. that age range is just my personal guess, btw). On points of hardware and software: nintendo's hardware (in the Wii and DS) is basically stylish, innovative, and non-threatening. much of nintendo's software (in the same consoles) is basically more non-threatening and easygoing than that of the PS and XBox.
well, that's my theory of why girls are attracted to nintendo more than any other video game producer or manufacturer. go nintendo!
i hope that helped.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 11.13.2007, 03:47 AM.

11.13.2007, 03:41 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by OnYourMark
oh my goodness mushka! you and i have very much the same taste in video games ^_^

and wow JRR, i've rarely come across anyone (other than on smashboards.com) that actually know how to wavedash! this is kind of exciting... =D have you mastered your SHFFLC's yet?
i mainly play Ness, Fox, Marth (and sometimes Mario, Ice Climbers, and Pikachu)

but i must disagree with you JRR on the point of falco. you said he was crappy. i don't ever play as him, but in well-respected SSBM tier lists he is usually considered 2nd to 5th best (up there in Top/High Tier with Fox, Shiek, Marth, and Peach).

right now, other than waiting patiently for the delayed Super Smash Bros Brawl, i'm playing the newly released Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, for DS!
NES, SNES, and Arcade games are good also =D

Well.
I know hes the same as fox, and fox is good, but thats the problem.
I dont like the clone characters.
I mean, at least Gannondorf is slower than Capt Falcon, but themtwo are exactly the same which annoys me, Dr Mario is also unnecessary.
However there is nothing as funyn as a Falco Kirby, so its worth it.

I like Marth aswell, but I prefer Roy because his B-up attqck is stronger, and I really sue that a lot.
Roy is however genberally considered as the best player.

Bout the wave dashing.
Basically I know how to do it, but Im not very good at doing it when I want and exactly how I want yet.
It takes a lot of practice, the actual mechanic is pretty easy, oyu cna get it after 30-60 mins of fooling around.
I might not boither perfecting it though, as it might be completely different in Brawl. However, it might also be the same and then I would have wasted quite osme time.

When we bboth has brawl I'll battle oyu on WiFI.
Im guessing you'd win as I really havent played Melee in a long time and only recently undusted it as I felt the urge to try wave dashing.

11.13.2007, 04:08 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, we've inadvertently uncovered a sinister sub-culture of the Tavern boards! Maybe UO can give us a games board on its own?

Does anyone play online now? And if so, what? Perhaps we could meet up.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.13.2007, 07:49 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Online, yes

i think everyone plays online now, seeing how almost every game supports online play, mainly games for windows and xbox 360, but PS3 has alot of online content, especially with HOME coming soon. Also Nintendo's really pushing Online play with future games like SSBB and MKW. Anyway, what im saying is that soon, if not now itll be hard for people to play games without going online.

11.13.2007, 08:29 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
Online, yes

i think everyone plays online now, seeing how almost every game supports online play, mainly games for windows and xbox 360, but PS3 has alot of online content, especially with HOME coming soon.

Anyway, what im saying is that soon, if not now itll be hard for people to play games without going online.

I've never played online before. Heh, I don't even know how to!

11.13.2007, 09:47 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Neither have I.

11.13.2007, 12:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Wow, we've inadvertently uncovered a sinister sub-culture of the Tavern boards! Maybe UO can give us a games board on its own?

Does anyone play online now? And if so, what? Perhaps we could meet up.

gaming is hardly a sub-culture.
Its more than normal that a portion of members here are gamers, especially with the percentage of younger members.

11.13.2007, 02:32 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ah, well, that attempt at humour went wide of the mark.

Basically we have NEVER talked gaming on these boards before - yet lots of people do it, hence my comment.

11.13.2007, 03:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i do it.
and why not, its fun, competitive, good for your eye stimulation (or something like that) and aboot 101 other reasons.

its not something specifically targeted towards younger audiences anymore. more and more companies are targeting older audiences trying to expand their markets.

and with a market of well over the 100 millions in one shape or form, theres basically something out there for everyone.

11.13.2007, 05:01 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
T.C.
Totoro

i stay offline coz i get my ass kicked everytime...

thats was a long time ago though, the last time i played video games alot was the christmas holidays with my younger cousin who can only be described as a "Halo freak" and who refuses to go easy on me.

11.13.2007, 10:03 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

wow, you gys should definitely check out Pure Pwnage

11.14.2007, 01:10 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I came on right now and I was like: Gee there's a lot of posting going on right now. What in the world are they talking about without me? Thanks everyone, You guys are all really helpful and a little confusing. I'm typing up my description of my site right now for class so I just wanted to come on and thank you all again. Thank you for all your help. I will be back later to seek out more of it.

On a side note, I played Grand Theft Auto on the PSP for the first time yesterday. It's my little brother's game and I was in the middle of telling him that it was overly violent and dumb when I took it from him and began playing it. I found myself absolutely thirlled with it. I love stealing cars... who knew? My little brother was all whiney and saying, "Give it back. Chimmie!(my family nickname for me) I wanna play! Come on, I have to go to bed soon."
My response: "Just let me run over a few more people."

I was surprised that I found that so fun, I don't usually enjoy watching overly violent things.

11.14.2007, 01:31 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

if you think that games overly violent, you should try games like Bioshock (2nd best game of all time!) or manhunt to name a few

11.14.2007, 01:39 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had never actually played it so I was just saying what I knew about it. It's not the most violent thing I have ever seen, I was just giving my 13 yr bro a hard time. He's played worse.

By the way, I'm still desperately looking for a name for my video game site. Anyone want to help me with that I would be really grateful.

11.14.2007, 02:42 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks