QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Curious Case of Benjamen Button...

It was SO sad! I was tearing up all in the end... luckily I had my scarf with me!

12.29.2008, 05:01 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Run Fatboy Run..not too shabby, never going to be a classic of course, but i liked Dylan Moran, even if he can only play a drunken irishman..

Clicky

12.29.2008, 10:09 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1
Run Fatboy Run..not too shabby, never going to be a classic of course, but i liked Dylan Moran, even if he can only play a drunken irishman..

I dunno why but my mom seems to really like that movie. ._.

Marley & Me. It was lovely, much different than I thought and very long... VERY LONG. I cried for half an hour before it ended and kept bawling LOUDLY. XD I was wearing my hat so no one could see my face, and my mom got mad at me and everyone around us was crying. I was hyperventilating, like I often do around my boyfriend if I cry about him. XD I inherited that unfortunate trait from my mother.

12.29.2008, 11:50 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

took some time to relax and watched
"Enemy of the State" with Will Smith
and
"Crocodile Hunter" with Steve and Terri Irwin

12.30.2008, 01:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
turniphead1
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw Crocodile Dundee for the first time: "You call that a knife? This is a knife!" Now i finally understand all the references ive seen to this film elsewhere

Clicky

12.30.2008, 07:48 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Sword In The Stone. I've seen it many times before, and it just so happened to be on TV.

01.02.2009, 08:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The counterfeiters. It's pretty good, but why it won an oscar is beyond me.

01.02.2009, 10:55 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kung Fu Panda, it was better the first time, i fell asleep through it this time

.... so i guess that doesn't technically count as "What Movie(s) did you watch today?"

01.02.2009, 11:52 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
turniphead1
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
The Sword In The Stone. I've seen it many times before, and it just so happened to be on TV.

I saw that today too

Planes, trains and automobiles- aww, twas nice and heart warming at the end

Clicky

01.02.2009, 12:09 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Benjamin Button."

From a technical standpoint, it's flawless. The period detail is astounding, and Pitt's transformation is a marvel. The sets are breathtaking, the old-fashioned cinematography lovely. Even the music is nice. But beneath this pretty shell are a lot of problems.

First of all, why does Benjamin age backwards? I know it's a fantasy; it doesn't have to be explained scientifically or anything. But his reverse-aging is the film's central idea; it should have some purpose, serve some sort of function within the story.

It doesn't. It's a gimmick. Moreover, it alienates the audience. No one will ever go through what Benjamin goes through; no one will ever have to deal with the cruel fate of aging backwards. There is no human connection to his struggle.

Ah, the apologist cries, but Benjamin's struggle is the struggle of all mankind--the struggle against mortality and ephemerality!

That's fine and dandy--but then why is he aging backwards? If you're going to make a film about mortality, wouldn't it make more sense to have him age normally, so the audience could actually relate?

At any rate, take away the reverse-aging, and Benjamin has one character trait: he's in love with Daisy. Ah, yes, but love . . . the most human of emotions. Something to identify with. Alas, I am unable to idenitify even with this, because Daisy's only character trait is that she's in love with Benjamin. Oh yeah, and she dances. Perhaps if the screenwriter hadn't forgot to set his alarm and the producer had received his cup of coffee on time and the director's mother had not made that telephone call and the girl next door had taken a different route while walking her dog, the resulting film would have bothered to explore her love of dance. Perhaps I would have actually cared about the characters.

Probably not, because the reverse-aging gimmick requires their bliss to be brief. Eventually, she will get too old for him, and he too young for her, just as he began too old and she too young. This is the problem I experience most often in relationships.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.04.2009, 01:35 AM.

01.04.2009, 01:24 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Keinohrhasen, a german romcom.
Real nice.

01.04.2009, 06:04 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

speaking of germans, Valkyrie was a huge disappointment

Tom Cruise was the only one with an american accent, all the other "good guys" had British accents, and hitler was the only one with a german accent. He also was portrayed to have a huge slouch and seem like a big creep. which i guess he was.. but they overdid it in this film..

Post last edited by ={HSA}= MORO on 01.05.2009, 12:14 PM.

01.05.2009, 12:12 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
BobbyOne
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BobbyOne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Get Over It last night. Good film that

01.05.2009, 03:39 PM BobbyOne is offline   Profile for BobbyOne Add BobbyOne to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the first half hour or thereabouts of Donnie Darko. We're doing it for Media Studies, which is good as I've never seen it before and wanted to for quite a while!

01.06.2009, 03:14 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

The Reader

Quite faithful to the book, which is a good thing. All 5 of us film students liked it. That must say something.

01.06.2009, 08:33 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Some more Donnie Darko. Hopefully we'll get to watch the rest tomorrow.

Edit: we did finish watching it! The end is really confusing...

Post last edited by arren18 on 01.08.2009, 11:58 AM.

01.07.2009, 03:56 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

The pianist.
I didn't like the first half too much. The ghetto looked a lot like a set, which kinda made things look fake. But the 2nd half, especially from when he's back in Warsaw is amazing. And the scene where he plays the piano to the german officer is mesmerizing. So... didnt like the first third too much (though was still good), liked the middle bit, 2nd half was amazing.

01.08.2009, 10:11 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
The pianist.
I didn't like the first half too much. The ghetto looked a lot like a set, which kinda made things look fake. But the 2nd half, especially from when he's back in Warsaw is amazing. And the scene where he plays the piano to the german officer is mesmerizing. So... didnt like the first third too much (though was still good), liked the middle bit, 2nd half was amazing.

I loved that movie. we had to watch it in history class back in gr. 10
i bought it the next day

I just bought Pineapple Express
and watched it of course

01.09.2009, 01:48 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seen PORCO ROSSO on Sunday, I enjoyed it! I think I'll vote for THEO in the Heroine Elimination Game..

P.S Did you guys notice that the new engine Theo installed into the plane had GHIBLI printed on it?

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 01.12.2009, 06:36 AM.

01.12.2009, 05:10 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Totoro
Seen PORCO ROSSO on Sunday, I enjoyed it! I think I'll vote for THEO in the Heroine Elimination Game..

P.S Did you guys notice that the new engine Theo installed into the plane had GHIBLI printed on it?

Hooray! Hopefully you now have realised your misguided ways! I didn't see that actually, but that reminds me, one of the buses in Kikis has Studio Ghibli written on it!

Oh and its spelt Fio

I saw "Carve her name with pride" yesterday..Its a war film about a British agent trying to help the resistance movement in France against the Nazis..was good i like black and white films.

Clicky

01.12.2009, 11:34 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
[  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks