QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What Movie(s) did you watch today? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm gonna go see Of Time and the City tomorrow.
I love documentaries.

11.14.2008, 08:21 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished watching "Let the Right One In," which is a recently released Swedish vampire film. Yes, I know. A Swedish vampire movie called "Let the Right One In."

I'm not a huge vampire fan, or much of a horror fan in general, so I wasn't really expecting to like it much. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. I would even go as far as to say it's the best movie I've seen this year. Of course, Oscar season is just beginning, so I'm sure there will be plenty of competition for that title. But it really was a great little movie.

The film had a very "European" feel, with relatively slow pacing and a contemplative atmosphere--which, of course, allowed the tension to build for excruciating lengths of time. The cinematography was also very European, with bland colors and long still takes--which is actually a style I'm very fond of, so it contributed to my enjoyment. But probably the best part of the film was how the vampire elements, believe it or not, actually took a backseat to drama and character development. More unsettling than the scenes of violence themselves was how effortlessly the bloody horror was juxtaposed with touching romance, and genuine tragedy--and there was even room for some great scenes of black humor, too.

Overall, I wouldn't really classify it as a vampire movie, or even a horror movie. It was really just a dark, perverse love story, and a very good one at that.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 11.16.2008, 04:26 AM.

11.16.2008, 04:24 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished the Simpsons movie.. I still like it but i dont think some of the stuff will stand the test of time, and i dont think its anything special compared to the normal episodes. Also, all of the clever animation just takes away from the experience, it didnt feel like the simpsons to me..

Clicky

11.16.2008, 03:34 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I just finished watching "Let the Right One In," which is a recently released Swedish vampire film. Yes, I know. A Swedish vampire movie called "Let the Right One In."

I'm not a huge vampire fan, or much of a horror fan in general, so I wasn't really expecting to like it much. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. I would even go as far as to say it's the best movie I've seen this year. Of course, Oscar season is just beginning, so I'm sure there will be plenty of competition for that title. But it really was a great little movie.

The film had a very "European" feel, with relatively slow pacing and a contemplative atmosphere--which, of course, allowed the tension to build for excruciating lengths of time. The cinematography was also very European, with bland colors and long still takes--which is actually a style I'm very fond of, so it contributed to my enjoyment. But probably the best part of the film was how the vampire elements, believe it or not, actually took a backseat to drama and character development. More unsettling than the scenes of violence themselves was how effortlessly the bloody horror was juxtaposed with touching romance, and genuine tragedy--and there was even room for some great scenes of black humor, too.

Overall, I wouldn't really classify it as a vampire movie, or even a horror movie. It was really just a dark, perverse love story, and a very good one at that.

Sasw the trailer to this a while ago. Really want to see it. I've heard its amazing.

11.16.2008, 10:29 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Sasw the trailer to this a while ago. Really want to see it. I've heard its amazing.

If you get the chance, take it. Unfortunately, getting the chance won't be easy; it's mostly playing in art house theaters right now, with no imminent DVD release. I caught it mostly by good fortune.

Of course, if you can't find it anywhere, I'm sure you could see it through, uh, less legal methods. I usually try to justify this in my head by thinking, "If it's a good movie, I'll buy the DVD when it's released; if it's a bad movie, the filmmakers don't deserve my money anyway." Which is not a good way to think and justifying crime is bad and I should leave now before the good people give me the telling-off I deserve. Sorry!

11.17.2008, 03:08 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched 'The Mist' for the time the other day..... the ending SUCKS!!!

11.17.2008, 08:51 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Heh . . . I didn't actually see the movie, but I heard about the ending. Some people actually liked it, I think, but from the description I heard it seemed kind of pointless and tacked on.

11.17.2008, 10:33 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't hear exactly what happens, but I got the impression people were a bit unhappy with the ending.

11.17.2008, 12:02 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Well, I wasn't planning on ever watching it, so I didn't really care about having the ending spoiled for me. If you don't mind either, the plot summary on Wikipedia gives the ending away.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 11.17.2008, 12:28 PM.

11.17.2008, 12:27 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I'm watch a ton of movies today....Penelope, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving, Enchanted. Yep, I'm sick and on the couch. I think my eyes shall glaze over soon.

11.26.2008, 09:11 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Evey
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Evey Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cloverfield ...has anyone seen it too?

11.27.2008, 01:49 PM Evey is offline   Profile for Evey Add Evey to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Evey

Nooo, I havent seen it, but all my friends went to see it when it came out... and they didnt invite me. They're mean friends.... but isnt it a scary movie? I dont like scary movies, so maybe thats why i wasnt invited...
Anyways!! My mother made me watch 'Oliver!' with her yesterday... she loovesss musicals. I kept laughing the whole time because the kid sounded like a girl... kind of looked like one too. pfft.

Post last edited by animekittynya on 11.27.2008, 01:57 PM.

11.27.2008, 01:54 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen it, but I'd like to. It sounds very good.

11.27.2008, 02:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My Review: 誰も知らない (Dare mo Shiranai / Nobody Knows)

Fans of "Grave of the Fireflies" should look into this one.

The director has coaxed the best performance out of children I have ever seen, particularly the lead character. That alone would make it an impressive film. It also chooses to elicit sadness from the viewer (like Grave of the Fireflies) rather than force it on them (like, say, Saikano). Barely a tear is shed on-screen.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.27.2008, 09:44 PM.

11.27.2008, 09:37 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

I saw it in theaters. it was pretty good, id probably give it a 7 / 10. Kinda had a really similar feel to it as Children of Men (Which i though was an excellent movie, besides the ending, its a must see) The big difference was the first person perspective thing, kinda cool, made the movie, thats for sure, or else it woulda just been another godzilla. Definitely not a horror film by any means, hardly a thriller. more an action drama.

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
My Review: 誰も知らない (Dare mo Shiranai / Nobody Knows)

Fans of "Grave of the Fireflies" should look into this one.

The director has coaxed the best performance out of children I have ever seen, particularly the lead character. That alone would make it an impressive film. It also chooses to elicit sadness from the viewer (like Grave of the Fireflies) rather than force it on them (like, say, Saikano). Barely a tear is shed on-screen.

That sounds really cool Theowe!!
i'd definitely give that a view, but one question, is there an english version? (sub or dub)

11.28.2008, 03:47 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You can get a region 1 DVD with English subtitles, Japanese language.

11.28.2008, 11:47 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Loscil
Baron

Saw Straw Dogs in a lecture the other day. Theres a reason it was banned in the UK for over 20yrs. Very disturbing film. Not sure if I liked it.

Made for a good discussion after the showing though.

11.28.2008, 07:18 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Evey
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Evey Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by animekittynya
quote:

Nooo, I havent seen it, but all my friends went to see it when it came out... and they didnt invite me. They're mean friends.... but isnt it a scary movie? I dont like scary movies, so maybe thats why i wasnt invited...
Anyways!! My mother made me watch 'Oliver!' with her yesterday... she loovesss musicals. I kept laughing the whole time because the kid sounded like a girl... kind of looked like one too. pfft.

shame on your friends for not inviting u ...but,yeah,it is a bit scary,especially if u don´t like creatures killing people...but on the other hand it´s quite interesting,but I rather nit tell u why,u better go and see it yourself)

11.29.2008, 09:53 AM Evey is offline   Profile for Evey Add Evey to your buddy list
Evey
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I haven't seen it, but I'd like to. It sounds very good.

so go and see it) ...I´m sure u won´t regret it)

11.29.2008, 09:56 AM Evey is offline   Profile for Evey Add Evey to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched a movie called 'Tony Takitani' the other nite, meh! really boooooring... I just watched it because it was japanese

12.01.2008, 09:31 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
[  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks