QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Religious or not?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Religious or not? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
LiamOfDoom
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.07.07
  Religious or not?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LiamOfDoom Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So we all have different religions, yes?

Buddha, christian, islam..even satanist

but I wanna know wether you are religious or not,
atheist or faithful?

If I Was Your Vampire, Death Waits For No One.
Hold My Hand Accross Your Face Because I Think Our Time Has Come.

Marilyn Manson

11.15.2007, 08:52 PM LiamOfDoom is offline   Profile for LiamOfDoom Add LiamOfDoom to your buddy list Homepage of LiamOfDoom
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We already have a religion discussion thread.

I would have recommended dredging that one, or just searching through it.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.15.2007, 08:54 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i'm atheist

11.15.2007, 09:22 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i beleive in god,but am not particulary fixed....
btw,does anime count as a religeon?if not it should...

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.15.2007, 10:23 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Amen.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

11.15.2007, 10:35 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm believe in God, but I refuse to believe in any specific Religion Because my questions were never answered, like "Where did God come from? And for the people who say God isnt real and that the universe was made up by pre-existing matter, Where did that come from?

And BTW, I go to a school called Zion Lutheran and I still dont know what a Lutheran is Can some one tell me>?

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

11.15.2007, 11:02 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't mind dredging up the old religion thread.

Personally? I'm undecided. I'll probably remain that way for my whole life. I'll never know for certain whether or not God exists, and I'll never be able to rule it out. And I'm quite happy with that

I do know that if I do become religious, which I may, I probably won't convert to any specific religion. I don't think that religion has to come as a 'package'. I know most religions have teachings that I accept, as well as teachings that I reject outright.

quote:
Originally posted by Ray15
And for the people who say God isnt real and that the universe was made up by pre-existing matter, Where did that come from?

And BTW, I go to a school called Zion Lutheran and I still dont know what a Lutheran is Can some one tell me>?

For the first, who says it had to have come from anywhere? The kind of logic that says "everything that exists has to come from something that already existed" is drawn from our everyday experience in a universe that is very different from what it might have looked like when it was born.

For the second, I'm not an expert... but if I have my history straight, Lutherans are a subset of Christians who agree with Martin Luther. He was a man who disagreed with the Church. The Church claimed that you could only be Christian if you went to the Church. It was a matter of grave importance, because Christianity claims (claimed?) that you can only go to Heaven if you're Christian.

You could say that Lutherans are opposed to the Church having a monopoly on Heaven.

I've always been fascinated by how religion is inherited from our parents. It's pretty likely that we'd describe ourselves as following the same religion as our parents. Sometimes people do that, even when they don't know what their religion actually means... what its tenets are. I think that's interesting, that people would claim to believe something even without knowing what it is.

A little off-topic, but still interesting.

11.16.2007, 01:19 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
For the second, I'm not an expert... but if I have my history straight, Lutherans are a subset of Christians who agree with Martin Luther. He was a man who disagreed with the Church. The Church claimed that you could only be Christian if you went to the Church. It was a matter of grave importance, because Christianity claims (claimed?) that you can only go to Heaven if you're Christian.

You could say that Lutherans are opposed to the Church having a monopoly on Heaven.

Actually, Martin Luther's main point of "protesting" of the Roman Catholic Church was the area of their lack of what is called "Sola Scriptura" (by Scripture alone). The catholic church had developed their teaching of two valid forms of God's Word: Scripture and Tradition. From the acceptance of tradition as God's Word, many false teachings came about in order to justify and make sense of other teachings. the "Pope" was the the so-called infallible head of the church on earth (this was another large area of disagreement for Luther). catholicism also teaches a very works-based salvation, though they would never admit it.

The Protestant churches (which were begun in a large part due to Luther) hold to Scripture alone (not tradition), and that Christ alone is the head of the church (not a pope). protestants also believe that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone (for there is nothing we can do to earn our own salvation; it is a free gift from God). glory is to be given to God alone (not to Mary or any of the "Saints"). These five "alones" were developed by 16th century reformers (especially Luther, whom Ray15's school is named after) and are still held by sound Protestants, and they are still rejected by the catholic church.

christians have always believed (and still do) that only christians go to heaven. what is a "Christian"? if anyone wants to know, ask me (it will need sort of a longer post i think) or look it up. you may be thinking of the roman catholic teaching of "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus" ["Outside the Church there is no salvation"]. by "the church" the catholics mean the roman catholic church. most protestants do not believe that one needs to be a part of a specific church to go to heaven.

anyway... i am "religious" i guess... i'm a Christian.
lol martin luther is one of my 3 heroes.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 11.16.2007, 02:21 AM.

11.16.2007, 02:12 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Blood_ruby_star_of_doom
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Blood_ruby_star_of_doom Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im fine without religion (no offence anyone)
PS ..hi liam
PPS hehe PS are my initals

11.16.2007, 02:20 AM Blood_ruby_star_of_doom is offline   Profile for Blood_ruby_star_of_doom Add Blood_ruby_star_of_doom to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm athiest/agnostic. There isn't actually any solid concrete proof that a god or gods doesn't exist or that they do exist. I mean, if they are as powerful as some people seem to think, then I expect it wouldn't be hard for them to evade our technology and avoid being seen.

11.16.2007, 05:10 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Cloud
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cloud Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Atheist means that you believe that there is no god, right?
I dont believe in anything so im agnostic

Sometimes I wish I could believe in god, because it is a good thing to know what happens after the death of people...

edit- ok I checked that out- I dont know if there is a god or not, but I think it makes no difference for my life...
that is Ignosticism

I luv the susuwatari^^

Post last edited by Cloud on 11.16.2007, 06:21 AM.

11.16.2007, 06:12 AM Cloud is offline   Profile for Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wouldn't say I'm very religious, because only god knows how true I am to my religion.

But suffice to say, I'm blessed to encounter a religious experience several times a week, so there's that. And sorry, no, I ain't telling, nor am I able to anyway. It's a little too complicated to explain. I can tell you this though, took me years to accept this part of me. Even now I still wonder why it happens to me.

I'm muslim, by the way, as almost everyone here knows.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.16.2007, 10:16 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyone is entitled to there own view, and there are alot of reason for it. Most people's is tradition: parents decided to have them baptized or something like that. But alot of people choose there religion. These people I would agree with more as they would usually have a good reason as to why they chose it. Usually an experience of sorts.

I really don't care what religion people subscribe to as i feel it is all a load, that happens to be a great control device that has been exploited for a thousand years. People can believe what they want, it isn't my place to tell them they are wrong.

I would myself probably be on the fence agnostic. If anything else bad happens to me that I can throw on my large pile of god blame, than i'll more or less fall on the atheist side. If my theory that i have been sketching out actually has some merit, then perhaps i'll fall on the other side. But I would have to climb many more fences to even be close to a believer.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.16.2007, 12:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You and I have spoken at length about this #1sanfan and I took a lot of care to show you that nothing that has happened in your life is God's fault. Why people blame random misfortune on God I do not know, it only shows that people do not understand the concept of free will and they don't understand who God is, what he does, and why the world is the way it is.

But that in itself is understandable and I won't judge you for holding that view since to get a clear idea of what is going on you do need to study the Bible and the vast majority of people who refuse to accept what it says have not read it.

I do find it fascinating that someone can blame God for lots of things (which means they accept he exists) yet refuse to entertain that his existence can be helpful in their lives rather than a simple skip to dump the crap experiences in.

I actually believe that no-one "becomes religious" or "becomes a Christian" because they were baptized as an infant or were brought up in a Christian home. Infant-baptism is an empty meaningless charade invented by the church in the Victorian era when it was thought that if you were not baptized and you died, you went to hell. The high infant mortality rate drove the custom of infant baptism.

However the New Testament is quite clear that you will only go to hell if you hear the gospel story and reject it. Newborn infants cannot understand the Gospel or reject it so infants who die all go to heaven without exception, as do those still born or who die due to terminated pregnancy. As does, incidentally, every single person who never hears the Gospel story for whatever reason. Only those who hear it and have the intelligence to understand it and reject it go to hell.

Probably.

No one can be sure what happens when we die.

So a home or family that is religious does not ever produce Christian children. Every Christian has to hear the gospel and accept it, believe it. That is when a person becomes a Christian, it is through an act of faith. So, yeah, in that respect #1sanfan you are right.

Yes, in the past the Roman Catholic Church did exploit and control people but with the Reformation in the 1500s people finally recognized the bad things that the Roman Catholic Church was doing and broke free. Our good friend Martin Luther was a great man in this respect. So today, in Protestant Churches, there is no mind control or exploitation, everyone is free to choose. A person needs only the Bible and their own mind to become a Christian. It helps to have other believers around you but it is not essential.

11.16.2007, 03:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

People can blame who/whatever they want on their problems. The idea of God is pretty much an easy way to answer a question: Why are we here? God put us here. Done. Write it down, mass print it, etc etc yadda yadda.

The idea just seems bogus to me, too much evidence to the contrary. And don't dragoon me into another argument as we know how the last one turned out. Don't make me break out the philosophy, I'll do it! Back away!! hehe.

Really, it isn't even worth the waste of breath. Stuff happens, if i want to blame God and refuse his existence, I will. Eveyone who exists is a walking continuity error. I might as well fall in line.

Click for Gallery^^

11.16.2007, 03:30 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd just quickly like to say this:

Why are we here? A random accidental explosion. Done. Write it down, mass print it, etc etc yadda yadda.

Does that make more sense?

11.16.2007, 04:14 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never mentioned it because a thread discussing it has never come up but I'm a Christian. I honestly cannot imagine going through life without Jesus, he's the finest and strongest friend I have. And I talk a lot with fenkashi on PMs about my boyfriend and when she hears that, she will be amazed, because Sean my BF is the whole world to me. Yet Jesus is more.

But I worship him and praise him and thank him every day - but I keep quiet about it. I know I shouldn't, I'm supposed to tell people and I feel some guilt about not doing so, but that's me.

*goes back to lurk mode*

Post last edited by Maho_Fushida on 11.16.2007, 04:21 PM.

11.16.2007, 04:20 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan Eveyone who exists is a walking continuity error.
It saddens me to hear this, because I know its not true.

I would love to discuss this with you, but I won't dragoon you, and our other discussion was never an argument (at least from my perspective) and how the last one turned out is irrelevant to how this discussion might turn out.

As a Christian if someone challenges me I would not be loyal to my faith to refuse to talk.

So if you wish to talk, I'm listening.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.16.2007, 05:10 PM.

11.16.2007, 05:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Another one of these.....*sigh*

I am not religious, but I am not an athiest. You can interpret that in any way you want.

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I'd just quickly like to say this:

Why are we here? A random accidental explosion. Done. Write it down, mass print it, etc etc yadda yadda.

Does that make more sense?

That is a very simplified statement. The Big Bang theory is one of many theories, out of which have grown several new theories (Inflation Universe theories).

People seem to be under the impression that scientists have claimed the Big Bang theory as a fact and it's now "science vs. Creation", "Big Bang vs. Adam and Eve".

The Big Bang theory is, again, one of many theories. The word theory is key here.

Science tries to build and support theories using evidence to support it. In other words, uses evidence to come to a conclusion. This is in opposition to religion, which proposes a conclusion first and all else later.

I am not an athiest, nor do I have anything against religion. I would even say I am mildly spiritual, perhaps an agnostic. But I also consider myself a rational and skeptical human being, and I can't bring myself to believe in something without proof.

Believing in religion is the first step to believing in healers, mediums, and other things which people waste their money on. If God exists, then he/she is the one who gave you as a human, such a brilliant mind. Use it.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.16.2007, 08:25 PM.

11.16.2007, 05:52 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hear Hear!!

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

11.16.2007, 05:54 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks