QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Books.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Books. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Books.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was just wondering whether anyone would like to discuss some books, I´m pretty sure that some people would appreciate some suggestions and chatting about a book that other people have read is really fun, so...
Here it is.
Edit: Oh, um, remember to put spoiler warnings if you think it´s necessary...

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

Post last edited by tariss-of-mar on 11.11.2007, 06:32 AM.

11.11.2007, 05:27 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For Fantasy:
Anything by Walter Moers
The Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, really brilliant.
The silmarillion.
And the philip pillman trilody aint bad either.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Otherwise...
anything by
Thomas Pynchon
John Irving
Kazuo Ishiguro

theres loads more, but my bookshelf is back in the canaries and I cant look upon it to refresh my memory.

11.11.2007, 08:23 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, Harry Potter is always good, but lets not get into that...

I love Gerald Durrel's works, I find them really entertaining. Philip Pullman is good too, although I gave up on the His Dark Materials trilogy, I was completely lost by the time I got to The Amber Spyglass.

The books I love the most right now are the Fruits Basket manga. I'm obssessing over them at the moment but how long that will last I don't know...

11.11.2007, 09:49 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the book of lies!wooh!
another goodo is magic city,by this highschool dude.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.11.2007, 07:31 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
For Fantasy:
Anything by Walter Moers
The Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, really brilliant.
The silmarillion.
And the philip pillman trilody aint bad either.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

what about 'Magician' by Raymond Feist?? thats one of the best fantasy novels ive read. the sequals are ok too but not as good.
Also, should people read 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' series before 'The Silmarillion'?

11.11.2007, 07:36 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i cant even understand the silmarillion.avoid it altogether,it doesnt tell ya nothing u need to know anyway.

11.11.2007, 07:43 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Silmarilion was very good, I have one of the books that prequels it, but haven't had the time to read it.

I recommend anything by Dave Eggers, I haven't read his new one yet as it would distract me too much from school work. But all of his work has received very high acclaim, best humour books I have ever read.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.11.2007, 07:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
harmony-of-mar
Baron

i thought the thief lord by cornelia funke was good,but avoid the sappy load that is inkheart...

11.11.2007, 07:51 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Alighieri
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Alighieri Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
i thought the thief lord by cornelia funke was good,but avoid the sappy load that is inkheart...

I'll second that.

If you like science fiction I recomend Oreson Scott Card. Ender's Game is excellent.
For fantasy, I just read the Black Jewles Trilogy. It's kind of mature. Definatly rated R, but really good.
For historical fication you can't go wrong with Pillars of the Earth or Shogun. They aren't exactly light reading: beware.

11.11.2007, 09:37 PM Alighieri is offline   Profile for Alighieri Add Alighieri to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
what about 'Magician' by Raymond Feist??

that was an awesome trilogy i loved it
anyone read the assasin trilogy by robin hobb?
that is really brilliant

11.11.2007, 09:47 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
quote:
what about 'Magician' by Raymond Feist??

that was an awesome trilogy i loved it
anyone read the assasin trilogy by robin hobb?
that is really brilliant

it wasnt really a triliogy actually, it keeps going for at least five books i think, but the main characters become the children of the previous main characters or you are introduced to new charcters and plots through links to the old ones. the last one i read from the series was 'The Kings Bucaneer' i think.

11.11.2007, 09:54 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm recommmending the Earth Childrens Series, it's quite graphic, but I loved it and everyone else who I know has read it loved it too. Try reading it!

Open source rules!

11.11.2007, 10:15 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

i read the his dark mnaterials trilogy.i didnt really like it,i only kept reading for the sake of finding out what happened,though it was written quite well.

11.11.2007, 10:22 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked it, but the end was sad...

Open source rules!

11.11.2007, 10:24 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
i cant even understand the silmarillion.avoid it altogether,it doesnt tell ya nothing u need to know anyway.

wooowwwowo.
You cant say that. Just cause oyu dont get it it doesnt mean one should leave it.
Read the other miuddle earth books first. If oyu like em, try the silmarillion.
Its is an amazing book. So in depth and epic.
The best fantasy book ever. I rad it once every two years, its truly amazing.
It is a difficult read, especially near thebeginning when he talks about the abstract ebginnings of the valar, but its worth it.

11.12.2007, 04:55 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked it for that reason. It was like a bible for middle-earth. It had the creation myth, and the origins of all the species, it was very well done.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.12.2007, 11:20 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
T.C.
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
quote:

wooowwwowo.
You cant say that. Just cause oyu dont get it it doesnt mean one should leave it.
Read the other miuddle earth books first. If oyu like em, try the silmarillion.
Its is an amazing book. So in depth and epic.
The best fantasy book ever. I rad it once every two years, its truly amazing.
It is a difficult read, especially near thebeginning when he talks about the abstract ebginnings of the valar, but its worth it.

if i intended to read it should i re-read the lotr triliogy first to get a good understanding or should i go straight into it because it prefaces things?

11.12.2007, 08:14 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I think if you have read lotr, and are familiar with the world of tolkien, you can just dive in and be fine. There isn't anything wrong with it. Mar doesn't know what she is talking about.

Click for Gallery^^

11.12.2007, 08:26 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
T.C.
Totoro

ah, ok thanks. another add to the list of things to do after school is finally over.

I think Mar might be younger then you and i, if only by a little and maybe this is why the book didnt speak to her as much.

11.12.2007, 08:35 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

yeah, i think she is 13? and that is a little young. I think i read all of lotr at around that age, but i read the silmarilion last year, when i was 16. So I guess that some of it can be lost in translation, but for the most part, it still is a good read, it can be dry at times, but almost all books are so...

Click for Gallery^^

11.12.2007, 08:53 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks