QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Other Foreign Films
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Other Foreign Films » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Other Foreign FilmsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We probably all love anime here and we certainly all love Studio Ghibli but what other foreign films to you like? Have a think about it. Any film from any part of the world.

I'm a huge Pedro Almodovar fan. He's a Spanish director. These are a few of his-

All About My Mother
Talk To Her
Bad Education
and most recently Volver

08.16.2007, 02:34 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol... The Lord of the Rings >.< does that count? it's from New Zealand... hehe.

i like crayon shinchan and detective conan.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

08.16.2007, 02:52 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whale Rider.

The girl playing Paikea deserves an Oscar for her performance, not just mere film festival awards.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2007, 05:11 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

'Define foreign' and all that...

Being from the UK, when people say 'foreign film' they usually mean not from the UK or US (i.e. foreign language, not Hollywood)

Off the top of my head, some of my favourites include:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Shaolin Soccer
Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) 1&2
Pan's Labyrinth
Akira

08.16.2007, 06:36 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

besides anime, these are just a few that i like: Old Boy, House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Kung Fu Hustle, Belleville Rendez - Vous, La Haine (and many many more)

ive been following world cinema for years now, especially from Asia. i cant wait the see The Curse Of The Golden Flower

08.16.2007, 06:53 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Havent seen much world cinema but the ones i've seen i generally like, though this is probably because they are very popular ones.

Films i really liked

Old Boy
Couching tiger hidden dragon
Battle Royale (which i was surprised at as i generally dont like very violent and bloody films)
Amelie

Films I didn't really like

Sympathy for lady vengance
Ichi the killer

My flat mate is more into the korean and japan films for me, they are generally too violent for my tastes.

NB
anyone in the UK some of these are on film 4
Oldboy friday 17th Aug 23:00
Battle Royale sunday 19th Aug 23:00

Spungwa

08.16.2007, 09:39 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't really seen enough 'foreign' film to have favorites, although I did watch Pan's Labyrinth the other week which was pretty good.

That said I don't think it comes close to all those 'typically' foreign films. (I imagine)

08.16.2007, 10:12 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed Hero, it was a nice action film, i usually dont watch any other foreighn films out side of animes.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.16.2007, 04:12 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmm other films:

Battle Royale 1 & 2
Old Boy
Creep (Japanese horror)
Suicide club (Japanese horror)
Moon child
Azumi 1 & 2
Ichi the killer
House of flying daggers
Shaolin Soccer
ong bak
Final Fantasy : Advent Children
Casshern
My wife is a gangster
She the ultimate weapon (live action version)
Grave of the fireflies (Live action version)
Swing girls

(My J-rock live and music video dvds)

Anime:

Death and Rebirth of Evangelion
Sky Blue / Wonderful days
Akira
Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2
Azumanga (small movie)
Ah my Goddess! the movie
Naruto 1,2,3 (soon 4)
Apple Seed
Whisper from a Distant star

All i can think of at the moment lol XD

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

08.16.2007, 05:00 PM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pan's Labyrinth
Triplets of Belleville
Millenium Actress

08.16.2007, 07:13 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

fearless jet li's final film it's spot on and awesome

08.16.2007, 11:12 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definately

Battle Royale
FF: Advent Children
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

But I highly recommend:

Letters from Iwo Jima (this and Flags of our Fathers is a must)

The starry sky is twinkling again, this earth is exalted with tears.
The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

08.16.2007, 11:41 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@mpw3d: Suicide Club? D00d, you got strange tastes.

Batte Royale was a very good movie for such a genre, because it actually has a story to follow, unlike it's sequel which is just mindless killing.

Hero is anther exceptionally good movie, not because of all the kungfu action, but for all the philosophical talk (you have to remember that this is based on true historical events).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.16.2007, 11:44 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Casshern
Life is Beautiful
GTO
Old Boy
Samurai Seven
Zu Warriors
Hard Boiled

08.17.2007, 02:31 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked Pan's Labyrinth, Hero, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon too. But they all were very well publicized here in Canada, so I suppose that lots of people think of them when they think of foreign films.

The Seven Samurai took awhile to grow on me, but it was good too. Watching it with friends was a great experience. And only once I saw it did I realize how many other movies are based on it - like a Bug's life.

Amelie was quite entertaining; I watched it some time ago.

Being not from the UK, I suppose that Mr. Bean counts as foreign. But I won't say it's one of my favourites, for fear of offending all of the people who are from the UK.

08.17.2007, 03:08 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm no great fan of Mr Bean either so no worries. However my daughter is his #1 fan so if you start getting chicken heads through your letterbox you know who's responsible...

I think to us in the English speaking world 'foreign' films must be those whose original language isn't English.

I mean technically to me everything made in the USA is foreign but of course, that's not how you define foreign in movie terms.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.17.2007, 08:08 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a great lover of world cinema and count many non-english language films to be amongst my favourites.
Many have already been said here but I'll note a few of my favourites.

I agree with Roar completely about Battle Royale, the first actually had something to say and was inspired in its crazy blood-letting. Good stuff. The second one was a waste of two hours of my life.

Oldboy is so good it is breathtaking. I re-watched it less than a week ago and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, as someone else has said here (sorry, forgot who), Lady Vengeance cannot hope to live up to it and although the basic premise of the film is a good one, I found it to be style over substance.

Infernal Affairs. As much as I liked The Departed by Scorcese I still believe it pales in comparison to the original. The sequels are watchable (although I found the third one very confusing at times) but can be safely left on the shelf without fear of having missed something. The original NEEDS watching though.

Amelie. Simply perfect. I really cannot pick fault. The follow-up film by Jeunet, A Very Long Engagement is also pretty good but seemed over-long to me. It cannot match the whimsical beauty of Amelie.

Hero is a great film. I'm not sure anyone who has seen it can think of it without bringing to mind the colour-coded beauty. The fight between Ziyi Zhang and Maggie Yeung in the autumnal leaves being the highlight for me. If the film is let down by anything then it's the occasionally shoddy CG used for scenes like the zillion arrows. Still, small problem easily ignored.

The House of Flying Daggers I enjoyed just as much, maybe even more than Hero. Again, it is amazingly beautiful to look at, the vibrant greens of the bamboo grove and the fight in the snow, but latched on to a heartfelt story of love. Fantastic. Someone mentioned the Curse of the Golden Flower earlier... well I have to say that my opinion of this film was not great. Again, with Zhang Yimou the film is so sumptuous to look at it is positively dripping from the screen. But the story itself was, to me, slow, slightly boring and I finished the film feeling very disappointed.

Akira Kurosawa is a personal favourite of mine. Someone mentioned Seven Samurai which is an obvious classic of his. Some other ones to look out for would be Rashomon, Ikiru, Red Beard and (though it's not regarded as a classic as much as many of his others) The Hidden Fortress, which I can watch again and again. In fact, the only one of his that I found too slow even for me would be Madadayo.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is another film I consider to be one of my favourites. Beautiful and with a perfect ending.

Hmmm, it's getting late and I ought to stop typing. I'm sure I am missing lots more but that will do for now.

One thing I would like to know though is, those people who are listing Final Fantasy: Advent Children as being a great foreign film... what exactly is it about the film you like? What makes it worthy of recommending?
I'm genuinely interested in what you think because I found the film to be a huge letdown, so much so that I wish I hadn't seen it. I'm a massive fan of FF VII but a film with a story that kind of ruins the original and is made up of little more than numerous fight scenes that are hard to follow is not what I wanted all those years I longed for a sequel.

08.17.2007, 09:18 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

House of Flying Daggers was disappointing for me. To much kicking hoo-hah to be a good movie IMO.

PS: Kurosawa Akira ru|3z.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.18.2007, 12:32 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All About Lily Chou-Chou

Just a beautiful film, and one of my favorites. It also is an eye opener for those people (and I know you've seen them all over anime forums) who seem to believe that Japan is heaven on earth.

08.18.2007, 12:36 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's a few other foreign films that I love.

Belleville Rendevous
Pan's Labyrinth
Hero
Boys Don't Cry
Prascilla Queen of the Desert (spelling?)

I guess any film outside our own country can be considered foreign cinema.

08.18.2007, 02:35 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks