QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - HARRY POTTER!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » HARRY POTTER! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  HARRY POTTER!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Do you read it?
Do you like it?
What do you think about the movies?
(for the insiders) Who do you think is R.A.B?
If you like, or dont like HArry Potter, this is the place to discuss it.

I myself am looking ofrward to the last book, although someone has probably spoiled the ending for me, by means of the internet.
I actually have the privilege to buy it tonight at 1.00 am.
Theres a huge costume party at the Barnes and Noble here in New York. Huge stuff.

And by Sunday (when I hope to have finished the book) we can discuss the book, with spoiler warnings of course.
So, bring it on.
Open the door, alohomorra!
(that was cheesy, I know)

07.20.2007, 08:36 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm getting my copy delivered sometime tomorrow. No spoilers please

I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. The high point of the series to me, was PoA and GoF, haven't liked the last two as much, but it's still a favourite of mine. I don't like the movies too much. They're too interested in capturing every detail of books, which will never happen, so instead you have a bunch of scenes trying to convey everything, which doesn't work. Instead, they should take the main idea and atmosphere of the book and try to convey it. PoA movie did this alright.

Although the theory has been brought up so much, I still think Regulus Black is RAB. It seems like the sort of thing JKR would do, to bring up a character so minimally and then have him become a major character later.

Thankfully I have stayed away from those nasty internet spoilers.

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.20.2007, 09:30 PM.

07.20.2007, 09:29 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Alighieri
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Alighieri Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be getting mine tomorow. I am a Potter freak and I don't care who knows it. I'm kind of sad that it's the last one.
I agree about the movies. They're way too busy.
My money is on Regulus for RAB too.

07.20.2007, 10:45 PM Alighieri is offline   Profile for Alighieri Add Alighieri to your buddy list
Moroko
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.15.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Moroko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Alighieri
I'll be getting mine tomorow. I am a Potter freak and I don't care who knows it. I'm kind of sad that it's the last one.

I hadn't thought about it that way. Sad.

quote:
Once you accept that all the matter in the universe can be compressed to the size of a push pin, it isn't hard to wear stripes with plad.
Albert Einstine

A distraction

07.20.2007, 11:17 PM Moroko is offline   Profile for Moroko Add Moroko to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Considering that the Adult book cover featured Slytherin's locket which everyone by now knew had turned up in the Blacks' during their cleanup, that ain't a far-fetched idea.

Unfortunately, with this being the last book, I can more or less guess how the ENTIRE story is gonna be like. And I doubt I'm gonna like how she ends the story.

Either way, I've read every book despite not being a HP fan (I'm a completist, I can't not finish something). And I agree whole-heartedly, the movies, aside from the first, all sucks VERY badly. Like Theowne said, it's too much of a mish-mash of stuff, and the director seems more interested in displaying the magical world than the story.

Supposedly the newest movie is done by a new director, so there may be some hope. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed though.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.20.2007, 11:57 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Cloud
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cloud Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didnt read any book- Ive problems with those bulks-phenomenons.
Everybody around me read the book...
Prhaps in ten years, when the pottermania wanes

I know how it ends and I dont understand how people who wants to read the book, read in the inet what happens in the end with mr.potter

When I read a book I dont want to know the end before I read it...
strange...

I thougt every movie was done by different directors?
Its a tradition - just the actors and the producers are the same the whole time

I luv the susuwatari^^

Post last edited by Cloud on 07.21.2007, 04:55 AM.

07.21.2007, 04:54 AM Cloud is offline   Profile for Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list
kk-on-keys
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kk-on-keys Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have never read a Harry Potter book in my life

However today I went to my local bookshop

Read the last chapter

Smiled at the shop assistant who looked at me with an expression of horror

And happily skipped back out the shop

07.21.2007, 08:53 AM kk-on-keys is offline   Profile for kk-on-keys Add kk-on-keys to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i used to read and enjoy harry potter. but not more. in the 4th book i just stopped liking it. dunno why. knowdays i dont even like the movies. i remember once, i was lining up to see the 2nd movie, and this girl behind me started talking to me. she said she read 2 of the books. i was so proud i read 4 of em like 30 times. oh well. anyways, nowdays als that remains is the curiosity of does he die in the last book? although some on another forum told me that he dosnt, volmort dies and ron scores with hermiony or however u spell her name

cheers

07.21.2007, 09:11 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I've never been one to move away from something because it's popular. After all, Ghibli films are very popular in Japan....

quote:
Supposedly the newest movie is done by a new director, so there may be some hope. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed though.

Well Goblet and Prisoner were different directors, and the first two were, as well. I've seen the newest film, don't get your hopes up. If anything, it suffers more from that ADD syndrome then any other. I don't think a single scene lasts more then 30 seconds. Characters just come in, read lines from the book, then BAM, next scene.

07.21.2007, 09:29 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i got my copy today, ive read them all but wasnt gona bother with this one because i thought i wouldent get hold of it fow weeks but there were leads in tesco so i picked it up lol i dont like the films but i watch them once purly because ive read the books

07.21.2007, 12:14 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

harry potter is a cash cow, and quite frankly the books are lacking.

compared to most fantasy novels, it pales in comparison to all of them. i see it as an exceptional children's book but nothing better than that.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.21.2007, 02:26 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

They finally delivered my book. I was beginning to think something had gone wrong I'll post a review of it after I've read it.

As for the worth of Harry Potter...I wouldn't call it a literary masterpiece, but I think the reason it has become so popular and widespread is because there's the right mix of accessibility and intelligence.

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.21.2007, 03:50 PM.

07.21.2007, 03:48 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i still maintain that its garbage. if i want to read fantasy, ill read some Tolkien, who is the greatest fantasy author of all time. He worked in an era where he wasnt compensated with enourmos sums of money, and his work was pure, that was derived from his entire life.
Rowling started with a simple book which ballooned her to fame, she now probably doesnt care about her quality of work, and her series lives off its name. i hate it when that happens, and it does far too often. Rowling is laughing whenever she goes and cashes her royalty cheques.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.21.2007, 03:57 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

That's fair enough, but you have to agree that there isn't actually evidence to think that Rowling is as selfish/arrogant as you say. For all we know she could have been dedicating quite a lot to her series (and it isn't easy to achieve that kind of fame). And anyways, I do respect her a bit, she did write some books and gave entire profits to charity, etc. Saying that fame=lesser quality isn't always accurate, for instance some of the greatest musical composers enjoyed plenty of fame in their days but we still remember them as pure artists.

And Tolkien shouldn't be compared to Rowling, they are completely different, really. Harry Potter is a mainstream series, it is accessible to lots of people which is why it has such commercial success.

So anyways, like I said, HP is not going to remembered in the same realm of Shakespeare, Dickens, Tolkien. But it's enjoyable for what it is, with likeable characters and the storylines are quite interesting at times (especially the 3rd book).

07.21.2007, 05:38 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

you are right, there isnt any actual evidence, but we may get some when the ending of the last book is more publically known. If she sticks the dismount, there will be great applause and she will be more renown. if she flames out and quikies the ending, then she will be booed and shamed. i wait and see with great interest.

I think she can be compared to tolkien, but it is a rather unfavourable matchup. You can say she pales in comparison so why bother making the comparision which is quite accurate.

Im still not too sure why it got such commerical success, i hadn't even heard of it until the 3rd book. i read the first 3 and half the 4th, and it seemed to drag on and lost me, so i just quit there, i then went and read lotr, and never went back.

I still hold true to my fame= diminished quality of work. older composers like a mozart for example, who werent exceptionally well known in there time, have had there material withstand the sands of time and still be realevent today. I am talking more with modern day musicians, even some novelists but im not so sure which ones. for music, fire up your local radio station, and in and hour of music you can definitly hear at least 25 -30 minutes of music as being bands living off of there past work.

Click for Gallery^^

07.21.2007, 06:10 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

quote:
older composers like a mozart for example, who werent exceptionally well known in there time,

That's not quite true, Mozart and Beethoven were pretty well-known (not always), this continued with other greats like Chopin, at one of Debussy's recitals, someone threw a flower at him However, Bach was less well-known then his contemporary Telemann, and nowadays no one knows who Telemann is, so you could have something there .

quote:
Im still not too sure why it got such commerical success

Well, like I said, I think it's because the series is accessible, but not patronizing.

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.21.2007, 06:32 PM.

07.21.2007, 06:32 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A couple of things.
Movies:
If ound the ifrst two to be complete crap.
The third was the best and a very good movie, as to be expected by a director such as Alfonso Curaon (eg: chidlren of Men).
The fourth was okay, and the fifth was pretty good, though not amazing.
My opinions only (though the third is generally considered as the best).

Now, when compraing to Lord of the Rings.
I don agree that when ultimatley compared, LotR is possibly better literature than HP, but they should not be compared that way.
HP is mainstream. And contrary to the belief of HP haters, the books are good. They are good.
Believe it or not.
Its a fact.

And my favourite were the 3rd and the 6th (though it was basically only a build up for the seventh).

Now, Ive spent the last 9 or 10 hours reading Deathly Hallows from Cover to cover.
No spoilers ahead. read on.

Let it be said that it is (possibly by far) the best Harry Potter book.
It is sooo gripping, there is so much action and a lot more depth than expected. Things that seemed small come back with great importance.
Oh, and the Snape thing. What a solution, what a solution!
The ending.. also amazing!
I could not believe it. I was seriously impressed with the book, but am sad that its over.
I only finished half an hour ago and am still mentally in Hogwarts...
anyway, enjoy for those who have not finished.
It is a lovely book.
Lovely lovely.

07.22.2007, 12:40 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thing when comparing the two authors is, you have to remember that they live in different eras. What you know as good in one era may be complete rubbish in another, and vice versa. Likewise, what's good in one country may not be easily accepted in others.

For example, I for one cannot argue on the quality of the storyline of Lés Misérables. Unfortunately, the long-windedness of the story-telling is more than enough to put me to sleep. Ditto to LotR when I read the first few chapters; there was just too much redundant info which not only doesn't contribute to the story at all, but is hardly even worth reading.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.22.2007, 01:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really like Harry Potter, I think the new (final) one, ...Deathly Hallows is possibly my favourite of the series. I also think the films, whilst not as good as the books, have generally improved with each film (I think the first two films are ok, the third very good, the fourth and fifth almost as good as the third).

I can't be the only one who would love to see a Ghibli Harry Potter one day can I?

07.22.2007, 11:11 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The thing when comparing the two authors is, you have to remember that they live in different eras. What you know as good in one era may be complete rubbish in another, and vice versa.

Although I love LOTR, I do totally agree with your statement above. It depends greatly on our own point of view (sorry, going all Obi-Wan there... ). It's pretty much a cliché now, but as is often said, Shakespeare was the populist, mass-appeal writer of his day...

07.22.2007, 11:14 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks