QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What's life like their in Japan?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What's life like their in Japan? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.25.08
  What's life like their in Japan?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by inthemoodfor2046 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've always wanted to visit even more so recently when I came back from Hong Kong. I know it's probably not alike but it's a lot different from the UK which is where I'm from.

Have you guys got any pictures that you've taken that reminds you of your Japan?

Is their also a Muslim community their as well as i'd like to check that out

Thanks xxx

11.25.2008, 02:21 PM inthemoodfor2046 is offline   Profile for inthemoodfor2046 Add inthemoodfor2046 to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You're not the only mate!
I defo wanna move their, visit the ghibli museum, travel the city and the countryside..

Ahh.. I can just imagine it

P.s. where you from? Im in scotland

11.25.2008, 02:39 PM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
inthemoodfor2046
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by inthemoodfor2046 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...Manchester...

It is good here, you've got a mix of people, it's easy range to the airport for travelling, great music, colleges, uni's, we've got good gig's like the appollo and the M.E.N. Arena...but theres to many chavs...waaaayyyy to many

I'd love to visit the Ghibli museum as well and I love those little anime shops

People seem more laid back there too...

11.25.2008, 03:04 PM inthemoodfor2046 is offline   Profile for inthemoodfor2046 Add inthemoodfor2046 to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are you sure? Laid Back in Japan? I always thought of it as a very busy place juding by all those photos of Tokyo..

"But theres to many chavs...waaaayyyy to many"

I know how you feel

Clicky

11.25.2008, 03:40 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had a professor that lived in Tokyo for a long time and she loved it...

She did, however, say that all the men were really short and she always had the urge to kiss the balds ones on top of the head on the subway.

11.25.2008, 05:33 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, the people I know who went to teach there absolutely loved it. Then it came to some who were from there who'd rather die than go back. I wouldn't move there, maybe teach but my mom wouldn't let me be a teacher anyways because it would be too stressful. Just to visit would be enough.

11.25.2008, 05:50 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I might teach in China soon-ish, but I would love to visit Japan! I want to go to the Ghibli museum!

11.25.2008, 05:52 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Cherry
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i can imagine foreignfilmfreak being a teacher! ahah aww looking all professional and so~

xD;

i wouldnt like to be a teacher.. mainly cuz people irritate me and i have anger problems and been told im very aggressive.

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

11.25.2008, 06:14 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My mom says it would be too stressful on me to live in Japan, but I never said I would. XD Maybe for a few months, but I'd do the same in other countries.

lol, professional.. OK, I COULD do it, I think it'd be OK...

11.25.2008, 06:47 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Cherry
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i thought you were professional at this age >.>

you are still studying right ? (lmao. i feel like im acting like Shizuku' sister)

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

11.25.2008, 06:51 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by chihiro1096
i thought you were professional at this age >.>

you are still studying right ? (lmao. i feel like im acting like Shizuku' sister)

I'm in grade 9. XD And yessss, a short story I wrote out of boredom made a guy cried because he liked it so much. X3

I think if I went to Japan, it'd be somewhere that people speak Kansai-ben. Because I'm starting to understand it.. Other than that Hokkaidou for some random reason. I wonder what life's like in all different places of Japan..

11.25.2008, 06:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Cherry
Totoro

Oh yah i remember now!

I would like to go to Okinawa :3

the name makes meh wanna go but i doubt i have a good reason why to xD

>.<

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

11.25.2008, 07:00 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im going in February
i will be in Tokyo for a whole week to explore and then also going through Nikko, Kyoto, Hiroshima and variuos other places i cant remember on a guided tour.. but we also get another week afterwards to train it almost anywhere we want, just as long as we can get back to Tokyo for our flight home.
Actually ive been meaning to ask someone whos been already about where might be a good place to go or even go back to?.. JRR is the only person i know has been recently.
considering that we miss it on the tour Osaka seemed like a good place to go to, but i dont really know whats there or anything and my already highly limited grasp of Japanese would probably be useless there also.

11.26.2008, 03:52 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm going to edinburgh uni in a few years time to study japanese for 4 years, i'm doing a travel & tourism course at college at the moment..

what jobs do you think I could get in japan with the qualifications i'll gain?

*EDIT* how much is it roughly to go to japan and go on one of these excursions?

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 11.26.2008, 07:19 AM.

11.26.2008, 07:17 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@TC: Dballred lives in Japan half the time because of his job. He's rarely here though, sadly.

And regarding the only unanswered question, yes, there is a muslim community, but VERY small. Japan is mainly into Shintoism or Buddhism.

Personally, no, I don't really want to go to Japan, or anywhere else for that matter. Ghibli museum, Tokyo Tower and the mountains of Hokkaido are about the only few places I'm interested in.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.26.2008, 08:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
inthemoodfor2046
Susuwatari

Are you sure? Laid Back in Japan? I always thought of it as a very busPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by inthemoodfor2046 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah the places are busy, but the people seem more friendlier, more polite I guess, that's how they come accross.

Britains not as polite as the rest of the world seems to think we are... god it seems like i'm moaning about it here (and yes I am a bit) but it's a pretty cold and rainy day today, i guess i just wish i were somewhere else...

Post last edited by inthemoodfor2046 on 11.26.2008, 09:29 AM.

11.26.2008, 09:27 AM inthemoodfor2046 is offline   Profile for inthemoodfor2046 Add inthemoodfor2046 to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japan was amazing. I was there for two months this spring, honing my mediocre japanese skills. Was in kyoto for 5 weeks (visited Kobe and Osaka briefly), and in Tokyo for the next 4.
It depends on what kind of person you are. Kyoto is really beautiful but very peaceful. And unless you have someone to be peaceful with, friends or what ever, it can be "too" spiritual sometimes. Absolutely beautiful place though.
Im more of one for excitement, so I think I preferred Tokyo. I had more friends there and there was always more going on. Very nice and exciting, good contrast after Kyoto.

If you guys do want any tips or anything I will be glad to help if i can. On things like if I liked it somewhere, or random stuff.

I'll do my best. I don't really know that much. I sound quite preposterous, I know. I'm hoping to go for a month again next summer.

11.26.2008, 12:14 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@JRR: by the terms peaceful and spiritual are you implying like temples and such? because im all for that but im still looking for somewhere else to go aswell i think.
sorry to be so specific but what was your short time in Osaka actually like?
i will only be there for a month so need to limit my travel somewhat, it would be great to have another month like you did. i seem to remember you were staying with a family (correct me if im wrong), was it an exchange program or just something you personally organised?

11.28.2008, 04:02 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks