QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Trains in Ghibli
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Trains in Ghibli » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Trains are cool! and this is a really cool thread wowie!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

09.17.2006, 10:53 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Holy moly!!
Amazing thread Kanta.. I wish I knew that much bout trains in ghibli!!
Btw, are you japanese, or did you only live in japan, and if so, how did you learn japanese??

09.20.2006, 04:57 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
posted by JRR
Holy moly!! Amazing thread Kanta.. I wish I knew that much bout trains in ghibli!! Btw, are you japanese, or did you only live in japan, and if so, how did you learn japanese??

About me, refer page 6 "born in TOTORO" thread.
btw, Your user name is similar to JR which is Japanese Railway company's name for shorted.
Look at the picture below. A typhoon came to Japan on 17 September and tornado occured and it de-railed a express train of JR.
It happened at Nobeoak city near my town and I went there and took picture. The right is taken by me.
Many workers were recovering the train and many TV crew gathered.

[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9422/jrtraintornadeof3.gif" border=0>[/IMG]

09.20.2006, 10:18 PM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AARGH HELP..I WAS DERAILED!!!

09.21.2006, 02:58 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great thread Kanta, thanks for all these details. I can see that Miyazaki has a deep interest in trains. I was wondering if the train in Ghibli films represents something or is a symbol for something.

In many Ghibli films the main characters travel on trains and they also travel on a journey of self discovery in the story (Kiki, Sen and Shizuku to mention just three).

In some films, such as Totoro the train is just incidental scenery, and the main characters do not ride on it. In other films the main character does ride and I'm wondering if the writer is making a subtle distinction here. Where the train is just incidental scenery it is added in only for period or location flavour - but where the main character(s)ride on it, the train becomes a symbol of the characters onward travel (development).

Am I making sense?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.28.2006, 04:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, your making a ton of sense, i think my favourite part of Spirited Away is the train ride, i love the art and the spirit people, geting on and off, and how its in suntset the whole time, and i love sunsets, great job Miazaki of all the imagry.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.28.2006, 04:50 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Yeah, but your not making sense SanFan...
AS ALWAYS!! hehe

09.28.2006, 05:03 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im making plenty of sense, thats enough out of you lol.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.28.2006, 05:04 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away's train drawings are the best indeed. With it running just over the shore of the sea with spirit passengers and the rarity of tickets to ride that train. The whole feel of it is making the audience relate and absorb the experience in a good way.

09.28.2006, 08:14 PM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Thats my favourite scene in spirited away!!
the scenes of the train from the air.. Its..like...floating in the water!!

09.29.2006, 03:17 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, I thought that Miyazaki seems to be quite heavily into flying and aviation. Kiki flies on her broom of course. The main character in Porco Rosso is a fighter pilot. Laputa the island, and most of the vehicles in it fly. (including the pirate "ships" Not to mention "hikouseki" -- the material in the pendant around Sheeta's neck. Nausicaa's main mode of transport is a glider. And the flying machines in Howl's Moving Castle were, incidently, never mentioned in the book by Diana Wynne Jones. It seems to me that many of the strangest machines that Miyazaki "invents" turn out to be flying machines that would probably never get off the ground in real life.

Another point about vehicles in Ghibli. In Kiki's Delivery Service (Majo no Takkyuubin) did anyone notice that one bus that Kiki dodges during an ill-fated low flight (on her first arrival to the coastal town) has the words "STUDIO GHIBLI" written on the side?

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.01.2006, 03:53 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
Nope - didnt notice, will keep an eye out for it next time!
He also uses these airships, which look verysimilar in lots of movies. eg:
Nausicaa, Laputa, Howls..

10.01.2006, 06:35 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Little Tanuki
"STUDIO GHIBLI" written on the side?

Even the odd movies you forgot mentioning and have a different theme got flying scenes, like Whispers (with Baron) and Grave of the Fireflies (the bombers). I think flying is rare "not"to have in common movies, let alone is anime.

I noticed that bus name first time i watched Kiki. There's a thread not too long ago thread discussing intersting stuffs about "in jokes" of Ghibli names and characters appearing in variation I think it's the whispers of the hearts thread.

Post last edited by furs on 10.01.2006, 06:44 AM.

10.01.2006, 06:41 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Train in Ghibli 8 ------ Lapute

In Lapute, we can see 2 sort of train. One is a small steam locomotive and another is an armored train. The armored train is camouflaged painted and looks strong. Now we can’t see such kind of train because it is obsolete as same as steam locomotive. Tanks can go everywhere by its caterpillar track but armored train can go only on the railroad. If the air superiority is lost, armored trains will be easy prey for fighter planes. These kinds of trains were mainly used in World War 1 and 2.
[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4669/armoredtrainlaputakk0.gif" border=0>[/IMG]
German armored train in World War 2
[IMG]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3141/armoredtraingermanyfl3.gif" border=0>[/IMG]
Japanese armored train at Japan-China war 1937
[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/828/armedtrain3jl1.gif" border=0>[/IMG]

10.08.2006, 07:19 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
furs
Totoro

I'm loving Kanta's train trivias, quite informative. ^_^

Hey Kanta - since you're from Japan. You might want and/or can answer this . Ta!

10.08.2006, 07:53 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

yO!!
yeah.. see if you can decipher them..
I havent really go time to give it a go at the moment!

10.08.2006, 09:26 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

I find it amusing that objects like train in Ghibli films have actual real model, i mean a very accurate one. I mean, they don't just put stuffs and just draw them like a normal one. Kanta just proved that it's more than that. ^_^

10.09.2006, 03:59 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Tossedman
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.20.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tossedman Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Bringing back an old, old thread here. I'm interested in modelling parts of Matsugou on my model train layout. I'm wondering if anyone has the images that were included in this post and if so, could you please repost them.

Cheers,

Todd

quote:
Originally posted by Kanta
Trains in Ghibli - 4 - TOTORO

This is a map of Matsugo where TOTORO lives.
[IMG]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/499/totoromapoo0.jpg" border=0>[/IMG] [IMG]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7215/higashidentetsuyj7.gif" border=0>[/IMG]
According to map of Matsu-gou (gou means village, like ton or ham in England) which was drawn by Miyazaki, the railway appears in TOTORO is named Higashi-Dentetsu(East Electric Railway). In this map, any stations can’t be seen. Maybe the nearest station around here is bit far from Satsuki’s house. When Mr. Kusakabe got off the Higashi-Dentetsu bus at Inari-mae bus stop, he said to Satsuki that he was late because the train ran behind schedule. So he is commuting to his university in Tokyo by bus and train at least.
I once heard the locale of this movie was set in Tokorozawa, in the west suburb of Tokyo and not far from Studio Ghibli.
In this case, from what I can gather, Higashi-Dentetsu is actually SEIBU-Tetsudou (Seibu-Railway company). After 50 years later, SEIBU has grown in very big business. It mainly runs a real-estate business and hotels and leisure industry. It’s impossible to imagine from that small train in the movie.
[IMG]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5035/seibuds6.gif" border=0>[/IMG]

02.20.2015, 11:05 PM Tossedman is offline   Profile for Tossedman Add Tossedman to your buddy list
Tossedman
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.20.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tossedman Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, not to worry, the great Google led me to another copy of the map.

Cheers,

Todd

02.20.2015, 11:21 PM Tossedman is offline   Profile for Tossedman Add Tossedman to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks