QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - member names
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Site Related » Suggestions & Bug Reports » member names » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nope, visitors can sign up if they wanna talk. otherwise they can go say it somewhere else lol

cheers

08.09.2006, 03:03 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.19.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Endless Twilight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Use the activate accounts system that I use. That's where you get a comformation email to activate it. If any accounts aren't acctivated delete them ever fortnight.

08.26.2006, 01:03 PM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Snakebite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Snakebite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

depends which forum you use, I use invisionfree. Plus only UO is the only Admin that is here so only they can do it.

08.26.2006, 04:54 PM Snakebite is offline   Profile for Snakebite Add Snakebite to your buddy list Homepage of Snakebite
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Endless Twilight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah. Thats what I am

08.26.2006, 05:05 PM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Cherry
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hii everyone !!

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

08.27.2006, 05:07 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Hi. Again

08.27.2006, 05:57 PM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah I totally agree with you on this! There should be some kind of policy that says members who haven't posted within six months of registering get their account deleted. Or something like that. I never knew there were so many! 72 pages!?

Wait a minute .... how did you get that information?

My Anime List

09.02.2007, 12:26 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

at the top of the page theres a icon that says "members" if ya click on it it takes you to a page with a list of every registed member, their names, date registed and how many posts they had, i just put the list in order of posts n found the first page with a member with a post

09.02.2007, 03:26 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by kittycatjess
at the top of the page theres a icon that says "members" if ya click on it it takes you to a page with a list of every registed member, their names, date registed and how many posts they had, i just put the list in order of posts n found the first page with a member with a post

Oh I see. Yeah i guess I just never noticed it before

My Anime List

09.02.2007, 03:31 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I signed up for a forum and only lurked (which is what these users are mainly doing) and then one day had my account deleted for no good reason (the fact that I haven't posted is NOT a good reason, I chose that username and I may wish to post under it at some point), then I'd be pretty pissed off.

A database of users who are not active does NOT eat bandwidth (no idea where you get that idea Roarkiller, until a user logs on its just a bunch of text sitting on a server, inactive).

Leave the lurkers alone, there not doing anyone any harm and they equally have a right to use that username. Just because they have it and you want it is not a valid reason to delete their account.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.03.2007, 09:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, i dont see much lurking going on, if you want to lurk why not just be a guest?

when ever i see members on here, i know them as posters, there are very few people who sign up, lurk and dont post anything.

i would say cut the excess, and if they want to sign up again and actually post then they are free too.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.03.2007, 11:12 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My point being it's NOT an excess, its just a list of names (text files) on a server. Its not baggage, it slows nothing down, it takes up no space - so why worry?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.03.2007, 02:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Technically it does take up space and use bandwidth - the member info obviously takes up MySQL entries, and as for bandwith, whenever someone searches by matching user names - or looks up the member list, they're drawing from that info, and this includes spiders from search engines. However, it's small and fairly negligible, and this isn't really a huge bustling forum.

The annoyance is with usernames being taken up. On a topic-specific board like this people sometimes like to take Ghibli-related usernames, for instance: San, Shizuku, etc. It would be annoying to a newcomer if these usernames were taken up by inactive user.

There is a difference between an inactive member and a lurker. But even then, logically, a lurker has no reason to register a username, as they can read the forums unregistered, this forum does not restrict that. I can see the point that lurkers (rather than completely inactive users) may post sometime later. But if it's a case of a new (posting) member wanting a username versus a lurker keeping it "in case" they post later, the first person should get it, I think.

Anyway, I don't even know if this is possible on Burning Board. On the bigger forum software, there are scripts you can run to prune the inactive users, I don't know if the same exists for this software. And I'm sure that the admin isn't going to do it by hand (who would want to).

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.03.2007, 07:32 PM.

09.03.2007, 02:39 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dun think there are many people who register just to read anymore. There use to be downloads that requires forum registration but those are gone now.

username being taken shoudnt be a huge problem, i hope people's names are a lil more unique than just using ghibli character names

09.04.2007, 05:14 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

touche

too bad i fall into that demographic. i guess we are all bored and wanted something to talk about eh?

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.04.2007, 05:20 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
UO
(/`A')/

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol, well your name has #1 and fan in it

hopefully people arent gonna fight over San, i bet it's still unregistered.

09.04.2007, 05:26 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Coincidentally.....

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/membe...&boardid=13

P.S. Well, if you look at the latest members joined, more than half have 0 posts.

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.04.2007, 05:32 PM.

09.04.2007, 05:28 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
UO
(/`A')/

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
Coincidentally.....

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/membe...&boardid=13

09.04.2007, 05:31 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne if you look at the latest members joined, more than half have 0 posts.
Only because CDB and I scare them away...

09.04.2007, 06:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by Theowne if you look at the latest members joined, more than half have 0 posts.
Only because CDB and I scare them away...

That's true enough.

My Anime List

09.11.2007, 01:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks