QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - New Ghibli film announced: ゲド戦記 (Gedo Senki)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions New Ghibli film announced: ゲド戦記 (Gedo Senki) Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  New Ghibli film announced: ゲド戦記 (Gedo Senki)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The news posted on the main site:
http://onlineghibli.com/index.php?subact...amp;ucat=2&

Nanashi's post in the Ghibli News sticky:

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
here you are!
===Studio Ghibli New Movie===
japanese title : Gedo Senki
original : Ursula K. Le Guin (Earthsea Trirogy)
Director : Miyazaki Gorou (son of Miyazaki Hayao)
2006.7 release (in japan )

Katute Hito to Ryu wa Hitotsu datta.
Hito wa Daichi to Umi wo erabi,
Ryu wa Kaze to Hi wo eranda.

At one time, the human and the dragon were one.
the human chose the land and the sea,
the dragon chose the wind and the fire.

Gedo Senki Kikakusho

http://www.ghibli.jp/
http://www.ghibli.jp/top.html

Wow this sounds like a really interesting movie! Many thanks to Nanashi for bringing us this piece of news ! Hope that Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut can be as great as the works of his father!d

On a sidenote, it has been reported that Hayao Miyazaki was "fierecely against" the idea of having his son as the director of the new movie. Goro Miyazaki has commented on this here.

http://www.ghibli.jp/ged_02/10maekoujyou/000112.html#more

Oh well...

By the way has anyone read the Earthsea novel? Anyway now I have a good idea on what I shall read during the coming Christmas holiday.

12.13.2005, 03:12 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"TALES from EARTHSEA"
when I looked at the poster carefully, there was English title.
this mean the 5th book is the main story?
. . . perhaps it is not based on the original.
---edit---
sorry not a poster. its top page of Ghibli web site.
http://www.ghibli.jp/index.swf
------

this logo of this poster "ゲド戦記", i think that it is handwriting of the Producer Suzuki Toshio.
he wrote logo, Mononoke Hime, Sen to Chihiro and Howl.

"かつて人と竜はひとつだった。"
"Katsute Hito to Ryu wa hitotsu datta."
this copy, i think that is the style of Itoi Shigesato.
(As for this, i cant have confidence.)
Copywriter Itoi, he is working with Ghibli since Totoro.

Post last edited by nanashi on 12.13.2005, 07:37 AM.

12.13.2005, 07:08 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
"TALES from EARTHSEA"
when I looked at the poster carefully, there was English title.
this mean the 5th book is the main story?
. . . perhaps it is not based on the original.

I also noticed that, but I didn't know the novel is a series so I treated it as merely some name changes. A google search reveals that there are as many as 6 earthsea books, with the fifth book named exactly as "Tales from Earthsea." But according to Sponichi Annex, the anime will be based on the story in book 3 and 4, focusing on Sage Gedo and Prince Aren's journey of seeking the secrets behind the world's mysterious changes.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/...0051213042.html

Worst of all, none of my local public libraries has any of the books stocked.

quote:
this logo of this poster "ゲド戦記", i think that it is handwriting of the Producer Suzuki Toshio.
he wrote logo, Mononoke Hime, Sen to Chihiro and Howl.

Yea, it really resembles the writing in Howl's logo. Even the colour is very similar.

12.13.2005, 07:41 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
A google search reveals that there are as many as 6 earthsea books, with the fifth book named exactly as "Tales from Earthsea." But according to Sponichi Annex, the anime will be based on the story in book 3 and 4, focusing on Sage Gedo and Prince Aren's journey of seeking the secrets behind the world's mysterious changes.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/...0051213042.html

sorry, you are right.
i also found this.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=200512...00226-kyodo-ent

12.13.2005, 07:55 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A more detailed report of the news can be found here:
http://www.eiga.com/buzz/051213/index.shtml

Brief descriptions of book 3 and 4, from amazon.com. Apparently the Sage-prince-journey plot is largely from book 3. I am now considering to order Earthsea Quartet as it covers book 1 to 4 in one single hardcopy.

Book 3:
DARKNESS THREATENS to overtake Earthsea. As the world and its wizards are losing their magic, Ged -- powerful Archmage, wizard, and dragonlord -- embarks on a sailing journey with highborn young prince, Arren. They travel far beyond the realm of death to discover the cause of these evil disturbances and to restore magic to a land desperately thirsty for it.

Book 4:
In Tehanu , LeGuin spins a bittersweet tale of Tenar and Ged, familiar characters from the classic Earthsea trilogy. Tenar, now a widow facing obscurity and loneliness, rescues a badly burned girl from her abusive parents. The girl, it turns out, will be an important power in the new age dawning on Earthsea. Ged, now broken, is learning how to live with the great loss he suffered at the end of the trilogy. Tenar's struggle to protect and nurture a defenseless child and Ged's slow recovery make painful but thrilling reading. Sharply defined characterizations give rich resonance to Tehanu 's themes of aging, feminism and child abuse as well as its emotional chords of grief and loss. Tehanu is a heartbreaking farewell to a world that is passing, and is full of tantalizing hints of the new world to come.

By the way there is already an Earthsea live-action adaptation. But based on the critics' and the audience's comments, its quality is apparently miserably impoverished.

12.13.2005, 12:40 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

http://www.daily.co.jp/gossip/2005/12/14/198014.shtml
>there was designate from Mr.Le Guin, saying that
>"being able to make it into a film had only the Hayao Miyazaki", in 2002.
>the project started. but Hayao Miyazaki was producing Howl.
>then, Goro who was joining the project in the adviser has
>come to do the main work gradually.
>the composition of Goro's E-conte and story was perfections
>more than the expectation,
>and producer Toshio Suzuki also thought, "this's not bad".

Goro's E-conte and story . . Goro's E-conte and story . .
i feel insecurity in it.

12.14.2005, 01:20 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Miyakiller
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.14.05
  miyazaki's oppositionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyakiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can someone translate or explain about the page where goro miyazaki commented on his father's opposition?

thanks.

12.14.2005, 11:49 AM Miyakiller is offline   Profile for Miyakiller Add Miyakiller to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Goro's E-conte and story . . Goro's E-conte and story . .
i feel insecurity in it.

Though Goro Miyazaki has no prior expereince in anime production, the fact that a top studio appointed him as the director, despite of the vigorus opposition of one of the studio's founders, already proves that he should have some unqiue strengths and qualities. I am not buying the idea of hereditary job, but so far Ghibli has yet to release a single work that disappoints the audience.

Anyway, not having a good idea of what Goro's work will be like, it is obviously too soon to dismiss him. At the meantime we can only cross our hands and wish him every success in his first venture to anime production.

By the way here are the storyboards of Gedo. A pity that we can't see what the inside pages are like.

12.14.2005, 11:55 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

With the help of a Japanese friend I've managed to make a translation on the comments of Goro regarding his father being against it directing Gedo Senki. Read it here:
www.ghibliworld.com/news.html

12.14.2005, 03:23 PM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What a new movie??

yeah!!! . I think that Goro will do a good job and I looking forward to see this movie in the theatre.
I dont know the original story, too. I think thats mean that I have to run to the next library.

cya carpe noctem

12.14.2005, 04:04 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
nanashi
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by wushu-4-ever
With the help of a Japanese friend I've managed to make a translation on the comments of Goro regarding his father being against it directing Gedo Senki. Read it here:
www.ghibliworld.com/news.html

oh, thats Great!

the image was a production diary though your contents was a director's diary. ...sorry...

12.15.2005, 10:29 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

from Production diary
http://www.ghibli.jp/ged_01/10log/000181.html
>Meeting of layout of part of Mr.Momose in morning.
Layout ( Production Manager? )
Momose Yoshiyuki
_Director of Ghiblies 2
_Production Manager of My Neighbors the Yamadas

>Director has already drawn the layout 129 cut.
>Mr.Yamashita, directors of animation has marveled
>at the content because it is wonderful.
Directors of Animation
Yamashita Akihiko
_Directors of Animation of Howl's Moving Castle

12.15.2005, 12:16 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
POWER.
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by POWER. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am looking forward to Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut. On other websites, there is commentary along the lines that it was odd that someone who's occupation was landscaping would go to animation. Remember, what one does is not a true reflection of what one truly is meant to do or longs to do in life.. And as far as the rift between father and son. As reputable as Hayao Miyazaki is, and I'm not knocking his achievements in story telling and skill and beauty in animation, but I am relieved that the son is doing a work that features a 'male' lead. Even Hayao Miyazaki himself candidly admitted in an interview that he prefers 'girls' as a subject. Fine. Wonderful for him. Hayao is not onmiscient, he doesn't know everything and it will be quite a welcoming change from what the father does. In referrence to my earlier opening statement, Osamu Tezuka, made a drastic change in his life that could have gone into the medical field but his true heart's desire was story telling/illustration. But, back to Hayao's stand against his son. Hayao, seriously needs to chill. Actually, kind of reminds me of the rift between the singer, Julio Eglesias, and his son. The father got increasingly jealous when his son's fame and the attention of women(young) he was getting. I am hoping Hayao does not forget lessons that he puts in his own works. Interesting.

Post last edited by POWER. on 12.16.2005, 04:32 PM.

12.16.2005, 04:24 PM POWER. is offline   Profile for POWER. Add POWER. to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

=Gedo staff=
from production diary
2005/12/20
http://www.ghibli.jp/ged_01/10log/000194.html
>Art director Mr.Takeshige was resting in the bar, and muttered.
>"Ah, sleeping is troublesome."

Art director : Takeshige Youji
_Art director of Howl's Moving Castle
_Art director of Spirited Away

-----
Layout ( Production Manager? ) : Momose Yoshiyuki
Directors of Animation : Yamashita Akihiko
-----

12.20.2005, 10:21 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Frankly, I don't really care about the feud. It's just another one of the high profile scandals of sorts we see everyday.

I'm just interested in one thing: the result. Will it be good, or will it crash? Will it carry on the traditions of ghibli's trademark of splendid animation, or will it be archived as just another movie?

I think I'm speaking for nearly everyone here when I say hose words, or am I wrong?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.24.2005, 01:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
LittleWing
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.05
  Wow!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LittleWing Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Neat! It looks awesome.

"When you're old, all you want to do is stare at the scenery.
It's so strange. I've never felt so peaceful before."

12.27.2005, 12:23 AM LittleWing is offline   Profile for LittleWing Add LittleWing to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

The earliest "Ged Senki" interview in the world.
-Suzuki Toshio interview 1/2- (JP)
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/g...ew_20051226.htm
-Suzuki Toshio interview 2/2- (JP)
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/g...20051226_02.htm

and translate into EN
http://rose-rote.hp.infoseek.co.jp/miya/...erview01e-1.htm
http://rose-rote.hp.infoseek.co.jp/miya/...erview01e-2.htm
if you find an mistake, you should chuckle and permit me.

Fio : can you tell me the first requirement for a good pilot?
Fio : Experience?
Porco : No, inspiration.

12.31.2005, 04:15 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Nanashi,

Thanks, it's superb! There are some minor mistakes (I'll let you know later if you don't mind), but it's very nice. I've added the links to my site if you don't mind.

Post last edited by wushu-4-ever on 12.31.2005, 08:53 AM.

12.31.2005, 08:36 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Wow Nanashi you have done a splendid job in the translation. Thank you for sharing it with us.

01.01.2006, 06:10 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
HowlsFan
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HowlsFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So what's the plot of this movie. I'm curious.

01.03.2006, 05:30 PM HowlsFan is offline   Profile for HowlsFan Add HowlsFan to your buddy list Homepage of HowlsFan AIM Screenname: Armads YIM Screenname: Ninisgrace
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks