QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - RPG Discussion - OOC
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » RPG Discussion - OOC » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kokumin no Kami has a nice alliterative ring to it.

As long as "citizens" is the right word. Really the title isn't referring to everyone but a certain group of individuals.

Sorry NC, the link seems to have since broken. I'll reupload it.

(EDIT: Done)

I did read your ideas but I'm still chewing them over. If its something happening out at sea, how do the people of the town deal with it/fight it? We have so far two kami - one kitsune and one neko. These are not going to be super-powerful entities are they? (I'm genuinely asking here since your expectations may be different to mine).

So if we have a major environmental problem, how exactly do the kami-companion town dwellers confront it and make it stop? a) if its on shore b) if its out at sea.

I think we probably need to consider that before we decide what the confrontation is and how its going to be resolved.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.27.2014, 03:58 PM.

07.27.2014, 03:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Edit: scroll down for my second idea which I think is possibly much better.

Well... my thoughts were something like this...

- Environmental incident occurs
- Sea spirit washes up on beach and as it dies, curses the town/townspeople
- The curse manifests as conflicts between the people; it stokes anger and widens rifts, driving people apart, possibly causing violence, this rather than the environmental incident itself is the threat that the spirits must shield our characters from. There could even be conflicts between the spirits if old families are on opposing sides. I'm keen on the idea of someone involved in causing the disaster, like the factory/plant/hotel owner being murdered and accusations flying around and such.

See, the environmental matter doesn't cause a direct threat to our characters, they don't need protected from it, so it must be some threat within the actual community that makes the spirits come out to protect our characters.

I don't see them being super-powerful, no, just ah, "ordinary" youkai. Not like deities.

Hm.

I've had a thought. Run for your liiives... But no, seriously, how's this...

I'm taking inspiration from the game Okami here. What if... rather than dying on the beach, the sea spirit were more... poisoned, and turned malicious, causing fish to die or sinking boats, and perhaps things like unnaturally high tides or tidal waves. Pollution will clear itself up in time and can be done without the aid of any magical beings, but quelling a sea spirit would take some divine intervention.

The environmental incident occurs but it might be a relatively low key happening; at first there seems to have been little damage, but then the strange occurrences begin as a result of the sea spirit being hurt and angered. Still like the idea of the town being cursed, that could be worked in there. Perhaps merely touching the seawater might spread the curse onto someone.

The guardian spirits might be the ones to tell our characters what is going on. They need our characters' help to rid the town of the source of the pollution, to convince people that this is the factory/hotel/plant's fault and get enough support to be able to oust the thing from the town. Meanwhile it might take the combined power and knowledge of several of the guardian spirits to deal with the sea spirit.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.27.2014, 04:43 PM.

07.27.2014, 04:22 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

can anyone please summarise me the whole thing and what has happened until now.

Because i am confused about what is happening.

And also please do tell what is the process of rpg. i mean i have played rpg(prince of persia grand theft auto bla bla) but this is like a rp play rather than a game.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.27.2014, 04:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's hard to summarise anything at the moment, we're just having ideas and writing them down. Trying to work out what the premise and plot of this RP will be.

As for what kind of game this, you'd best have a look at one of the Isakaya threads. I think there's one at the top of this board. That will show you the form this game will take. It is a role-play, you're right.

My Anime List

07.27.2014, 04:46 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooft, feel like I have to answer in sections to sort of keep my mind clear aha.

@Saddles:

I wasn't imagining the youkai being particularly powerful - perhaps being capable of small things like 'shielding' people or some small attack move? Mostly they would be guides. I really imagine them 'unlocking' an ability in their hosts. Whether that ability is 'magical' or rather just being able to unite a divided community.

I know what you mean about it being 'out at sea' maybe limiting how it can be tackled. But as I said, I'm not imagining major environmental disasters, just smaller issues - for example with the whaling, it could be 'combated' by confronting the factory? Something like that.

@Kaz:

I really like the idea of it affecting community relations and an increased level of violence/aggression being a result of the 'curse'.

I also dig the idea of this poisoned/malicious spirit that needs quelling. If the issue is at sea, this gives the characters something they can directly combat.

In my mind the 'solution' or way to combat this kind of threat, would involve bringing together all the different types of people to provide a united community spirit-esque thing.

One thought is that if there is a town shrine, there is probably a deity that is meant to reside there. It could be considered 'empty', a secret hidden from the town by the shrine priest (?). Maybe what is necessary to quell the spirit/solve the disaster is to manage to awaken the sleeping protector spirit.

These are all just ideas I'm throwing out there.

@Saviour:

Yep, this is a writing RP, where people join together to 'write' a story, each writing for a different character. Looking at the 'Isakaya' threads will give you a clear example of this. You should definitely take a look, but the games generally require a level of skill with writing in English, and writing creatively in it. So if you find yourself interested you may want to consider a smaller role than usual. I mean, far be it from me to judge what you think yourself capable of in terms of English writing, so I could be wrong

07.27.2014, 05:10 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thanks for the invitation but i dont know if i will get the time. My vacation finishes at 5 august.

I took a look in the ishakaya. It seemed to me that there are different characters and people taking those roles of the character.

i dont understand what happens after that. Is there a story or it just continues without any timeline.

Most importantly how you get the fun from it. Is it the wrting or thinking about the complex scenarios between characters or something else.

What i feel like is you guys are creating somesort of set for it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.28.2014, 02:06 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

There is a story, but it's kept so it isn't too rigid. It's more of a guide as to the general direction things should go. Structure is necessary, but people must also have freedom to write what they want.

It's impossible to say how you get fun from it. You either enjoy creative writing or you don't. I enjoy this part of it where we're coming up the story and setting, I enjoy imagining scenes, I enjoy seeing how other people's characters interact with mine. I like every part.

I think you're right; right now is like creating the set; setting the stage. We'll be improvising the scripts though, haha.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.28.2014, 06:28 AM.

07.28.2014, 04:52 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
One thought is that if there is a town shrine, there is probably a deity that is meant to reside there. It could be considered 'empty', a secret hidden from the town by the shrine priest (?). Maybe what is necessary to quell the spirit/solve the disaster is to manage to awaken the sleeping protector spirit.

I quite like that. It's like the land and sea needing to be in harmony. The sea spirit's causing trouble and it takes the power of the opposing but complementary land spirit to redress the balance. I'm imagining there might be some ancient ritual to call it that's been all but lost and has to be pieced together with the help of the priest and guardians.

Whoops, double post. It's first thing in the morning okay? ;v;

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.28.2014, 06:28 AM.

07.28.2014, 05:00 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm floundering a bit here due to so many ideas.

Someone made a good point earlier on and I apologise for forgetting who this was, but the kami are entities who want balance in nature, so destruction of forests, lakes, mountains and sea (or threat of same) will cause them to take action.

Recent ideas sem to bring in conflict and disharmony between the town citizens, and as someone said, the kami being spirits of nature would hardly be concerned with that.

My hotel complex idea tended to emphasize conflict among the townsfolk but that was (correctly I think) put aside.

So now we are back to talking about human issues again which is why I'm confused.

Should we limit our kami ideas to protecting nature (or at least maintining a balance), if so the problem has to be one that threatens nature. The town could be wiped out by a plague but the kami would hardly be bothered by that, unless of course the town's presence gives something back (such as maybe the town is a noted rural arts centre, preserving and teaching traditional crafts that emphasise harmony with nature or its local fishing methods keep the fish populations regulated fairly, something like that).

I think the town and its people need to be significant or valuable to the kami/yokai in order for them to conider the humans worthy of including in whatever balance it is they wish to maintain.

The other idea is of course that certain kami are now irredeemably imbedded into the bloodline of certain families and thus preserving those families in the area is one of their goals.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.28.2014, 06:32 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

My impression was that the guardian spirits were very much linked to our characters as protectors and companions. See your posts on page 2. If the spirits are only concerned with nature then what do they have to do with our characters, where's the link?

My Anime List

07.28.2014, 06:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah Saddles, I see your confusion!

What I'm saying is that whilst I don't think the kami would 'care' enough to be awakened by modernisation, loss of town values or a degree of town tension (which is what the hotel complex idea was suggesting) the town being escalated into violence by an opposing sea spirit they probably would.

What makes the difference here is that the town division we're talking about here is just a symptom of nature being out of balance, which as you said is the most logical reason for the kami intervening.

Based on the premise that these 'hosts' have been linked to these spirits for centuries, that's because this must be a system used to combat the above when it occurs. There could even be an event, many years before, where this has been invoked - an earthquake or something, which awoke the spirits and their host connection so that the town could be saved. Lots of spirits purpose in general are as 'protectors' of fisherman or crops or whatever.

I think the whole protecting the town > re-adjusting the balance, are two things which don't contradict each other. Like how at the end of Mononoke they have to return the deer God's head, to restore nature, but also to save the people of Iron Town.

07.28.2014, 09:10 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ah, I think I get it now. Seems I didn't have things clear in my head before.

They need each other.

The spirits need our characters to right things in the community, to get rid of the cause of the damage to the environment. Our characters need the spirits to calm the danger from the angered sea spirit. It's in the guardian spirits' interests to protect our characters therefore.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.28.2014, 02:57 PM.

07.28.2014, 02:57 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Ah, I think I get it now. Seems I didn't have things clear in my head before.

They need each other.

The spirits need our characters to right things in the community, to get rid of the cause of the damage to the environment. Our characters need the spirits to calm the danger from the angered sea spirit. It's in the guardian spirits' interests to protect our characters therefore.

Mhmm yeah, this is kind of what I had it mind! What do others think?

07.28.2014, 03:52 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Say, NC, are you putting together a character sheet? Not pestering, just wondering. Itching to start working on a profile.

My Anime List

07.28.2014, 05:24 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

I'm just doing it now, I'd been putting it off slightly to see whether it would be affected at all by the different plot ideas. I think I'll just keep it simple and than it won't matter a great deal either way.

I'll post it in a separate post below (excuse the double posting!)

07.28.2014, 05:51 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Image of the character - try not to make it too large on the page.
Name:
Appearance: Here include a description of the character's appearance as well as any links to further images you may have.
Personality: As detailed, or not, as you prefer.
Occupation: This may be a good area for 'outsiders' to imply their alliance within the town.
Biography: Anything you think is important, such as family members, lifestyle, upbringing etc. Keep in mind not to give away anything you'll want to reveal later as a 'plot point'.

(How is that? Am I missing anything? Let me know and I am happy to edit it in!)

EDIT: I considered adding in romantic preference because I think otherwise people assume a character to be straight and also romantically inclined. Whereas if people want to play somebody LGBTQ+ or with no interest in romance that is fab and fine. I figured that some people might want to reveal this in-game or whatever though so I didn't put it in, but if you do want to make it clear than you can do so in personality or biography

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.28.2014, 06:04 PM.

07.28.2014, 05:52 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That looks just perfect to me. These I suppose will be posted at the beginning of the actual RP thread once we have that, they'd be buried in here... Although IIRC, last time, we posted them first here and then they were edited into one of the first posts of the thread. Anyway... I shall begin working on my characters profile.

My Anime List

07.28.2014, 06:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I suggest that closer to the time we set up a characters thread just for character sheets to be posted in.

Roar - I wonder - would UO be prepared to create a new forum area beside General Discussions (as in not part of the anime area) for roleplaying?

This game's threads and the Isakaya threads could all be moved there. I think anyway it would be nice for the Isakaya threads to be easily found.

07.28.2014, 06:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure I can create a sub-forum myself.

That said, I don't personally see a pressing need for it yet, considering how it only takes up 2-3 threads at most. Also, the old threads can be hotlinked on the first post if it needs locating, or it can be stickied the way it is now.

We'll see how it goes.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.29.2014, 03:58 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well, if we have a sub-forum for RPGs then we should put all the RPG threads in there, that's the point of a sub-forum. Making the sub-forum but not putting all relevant threads in there (past and present) is somewhat counter productive.

I actually think that Izakaya was so impressive the threads need to be gathered in one place so new visitors can find them.

Kaz & NC. I am 1) wanting others to catch up and comment 2) Still unsure where this is going. The dead sea spirit seems to be taking up a lot of your thinking Kaz when I really just offered a throw away idea

07.29.2014, 06:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks