QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - RPG Discussion - OOC
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions RPG Discussion - OOC Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Kaz & NC. I am 1) wanting others to catch up and comment 2) Still unsure where this is going. The dead sea spirit seems to be taking up a lot of your thinking Kaz when I really just offered a throw away idea

Yeah I think we should wait a bit for people to catch up I'm happy not to post till then.

07.29.2014, 06:25 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Kaz & NC. I am 1) wanting others to catch up and comment 2) Still unsure where this is going. The dead sea spirit seems to be taking up a lot of your thinking Kaz when I really just offered a throw away idea

*shrugs* Seemed to me to be a really good idea so I ran with it.

As for point 1 though - agreed.

My Anime List

07.29.2014, 07:00 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Your follow up ideas are great Kaz, I just need to fully understand the implications. Perhaps I'm just overloading on inputs and haven't yet worked out what the game is really about!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.29.2014, 07:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arren, I realise you're busy with travelling and adjusting to being home again, but when you get a moment, your input here would be very appreciated.

And others too!

Roar, Husky, Fen, Flare... anyone!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.31.2014, 08:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I, too, have been busy with other things (historical research) at the moment. I promise that I will jump in and read what has been posted by this evening and comment...

07.31.2014, 01:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GuuuUUUYS.

This thread cannot die. Kaz forbids it. :c

My Anime List

08.05.2014, 05:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It could end up as an RP with the 3 of us...

08.06.2014, 04:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ho hum. It would be a giant waste to let another attempt at RP-ing flop.

May I make the bold suggestion that if the others haven't managed to have time (I know people are pretty busy at the moment working/travelling) to catch up, we continue stream-lining some ideas?

We still don't have to make any final decisions, it'd just be nice to keep the thread lively.

08.06.2014, 08:42 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well my input is that I'm not sold on any of the ideas so far. Truth be told I'm hoping for something a bit lighter instead of tons of destrustion and depression.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.06.2014, 09:16 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am sorry guys. The last few weeks have been too busy for me to get stuck into something complex like this. When I have more time I'll be able to join in with building up ideas. And Roar, if you're a bit freer than I am, maybe you should throw some suggestions out there! That can keep things going until I'm in a position to take part.

08.07.2014, 04:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Well my input is that I'm not sold on any of the ideas so far. Truth be told I'm hoping for something a bit lighter instead of tons of destrustion and depression.

You might have got an incorrect impression. I don't see any more destruction and depression in this storyline than there was in School of Shadows.

To me so far its feeling like the normal interactions of people in a small community who all know each other, but who have spirit guides or powers to aid them when the natural balance of where they live is threatened.

They won't even be aware of the spirit guides initially but will gradually get to know and understand them, communicate with them, embrace them and let them assist the humans in their struggle.

A lot of that seems to me to be pretty much the same as Shadows. I see these spirit entities as residing in certain important (to them) people with certain family bloodlines whom the spirits need in order to do their alloted tasks, in a symbiotic format.

I keep trying to grasp an example but keep coming back to Misuzu Kamio from 'Air'.

08.07.2014, 06:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am here and I like the premise of the helpful spirits idea, as Saddles has described. I go along with that scenario. I'm not good at initiating something like this, but when I see where it is going, then I can jump in (?) and contribute my little bit.

08.07.2014, 12:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm nearing the end of vacation, so I will be back on regularly soon.

08.07.2014, 08:56 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
You might have got an incorrect impression. I don't see any more destruction and depression in this storyline than there was in School of Shadows.
I know, which is exactly the reason. Extra shadows would obviously lean towards the dark supernatural but I'm kinda puzzled how talk of a spirit guardian suddenly turned the world into a horrible place. I mean, what's wrong with a normal peaceful world that just happens to contain guardian spirits? I'd really much prefer minor funny squabbles this time round.

You know, a comedy setting? Or more towards slice-of-life genre. Although I can see how people would see that as boring.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.07.2014, 11:32 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Slice-of-life is my seconde favorite genre, so I'm down with it.

08.13.2014, 08:14 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
I know, which is exactly the reason. Extra shadows would obviously lean towards the dark supernatural but I'm kinda puzzled how talk of a spirit guardian suddenly turned the world into a horrible place. I mean, what's wrong with a normal peaceful world that just happens to contain guardian spirits? I'd really much prefer minor funny squabbles this time round.

You know, a comedy setting? Or more towards slice-of-life genre. Although I can see how people would see that as boring.

I'm not against this I liked the idea of a supernatural setting and it would feel odd to me introduce spirit guardians into a plot and not actually have them guard anything, but we don't really have to do supernatural at all.

A slice-of-life esque situation about a small town by the sea is equally cute.

08.13.2014, 09:17 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Roar, you seemed to have assumed a lot of things from our discussion that had never entered my head. I wasn't seeing the world as a dark and depressing place, only that some thing/event was threatening this region/town.

I too saw this story as having a strong slice of life feel to it.

You can add comedy into any situation, dark or otherwise - even Paranoia Agent has it. I find comedy to be one of the hardest things to get to work well in a role-play if its spontaneous. It needs planning I think.

08.13.2014, 11:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, the discussion certainly wasn't pointing to anything light. This was NC's initial summary:

quote:
- The setting is a small seaside town, which has (perhaps) in the last few years seen the erection of a large factory. This would have resulted in mixed reactions and tensions > new people would have moved into the area to work there, fishing may have been affected etc.
- The town features several families which have lived in the area for many, many generations. Within these families, once a generation, somebody tends to end up 'stuck' in the area. They are plagued by misfortune if they attempt to leave and so end up remaining in the area. This could have a varying level of impact on the lifestyle of the family and stature in the neighbourhood. (I don't know that I want to assume they'll necessarily be universally hated)
- An environmental disaster happens due to the factory and as a result the sea becomes polluted.
- This results in the appearance of some kind of negative spirit which threatens the safety of the town.
- 'Guardian spirits' of those previously mentioned families rally and perhaps bestow powers on their associated human/or use their powers alongside them.
- In amongst this would be an investigation into the spirits/cursed families involving the town shrine's records and the playing out of factory officials vs. townspeople.
Followed by your suggestions:
quote:
1) Huge fish/whale factory processing plant
2) Industry up the coast with supertankers that might run aground
3) Nuclear power plant nearby
4) Big hotel chain wanting to create a resort and so 'pollute' the town in a less physical way (I am liking this one more and more)
5) New high speed bullet train link that will drive a huge bridge across the bay
6) etc etc - more impact on culture and town tradition that actual pollution maybe?
Kaz followed up with this:
quote:
After the disaster... the town could be cursed, by the spirit that washes up on the shore. This spirit could be our characters' first frightening sight of something supernatural. To most people what washes up looks like something natural (if we're going with the bake-kujira then they would just see a whale skeleton, an odd occurrence to be sure but nothing magical), but those from the old families can see something altogether different (using the example of the bake-kujira again, they might see sinister, shadowy birds picking at the bones and eel-like fish writhing amongst them, along with a general aura of evil).
And this:
quote:
- Environmental incident occurs
- Sea spirit washes up on beach and as it dies, curses the town/townspeople
- The curse manifests as conflicts between the people; it stokes anger and widens rifts, driving people apart, possibly causing violence, this rather than the environmental incident itself is the threat that the spirits must shield our characters from. There could even be conflicts between the spirits if old families are on opposing sides. I'm keen on the idea of someone involved in causing the disaster, like the factory/plant/hotel owner being murdered and accusations flying around and such.

That was the last of anything major. But just looking at a glance you can see quite a bit of a destruction trail and lots of angry people in the setting. Now I'm not against angry people but when you have an entire community being angry, well...

Then again I haven't made any input for alternatives. So here's my ideas:

1) Looking at Post #1, the first thing that came to my mind was doppelgangers rather than spirits, although you can have both as one and the same.

2) If we talk about doppelgangers, it usually affects a few people, so I was thinking "what if everyone had a doppelganger, living in a doppelganger-ish town? Something like an alternate dimension but existing in the same dimention instead.

3) But having the same people doing the same things would be odd, so how about the doppelgangers be the opposite in character as the other? Good/bad behaviour aside, introverts invert to be extroverts, athletes invert to be bookworms, that sort of thing. Their names would be inverse too, like Fuyuki/Haruba (winter tree/spring leaf), or similar but different (青-Aoi/葵-Aoi).

4) No major disasters. It's just a weird phenomena that happens in two neighbouring towns.

What I like about this story is that it can cause a lot of unique, weird and/or hilarious situations, as well as leaving incredible amount of space for character development, since that's the main feature.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.13.2014, 11:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That sounds like a lot of work.

The spirit world idea we had could easily be as light and fluffy as Totoro (given the ill mother as a dark event). Things don't have to be so srs.

If just the dark aspects of it are an issue it can easily be lightened up I think. And a comedy character can be played by anyone who wants to.

08.14.2014, 09:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I am attached to the whole spirit idea... but I've got to say, the doppelgänger idea does sound super cool. It would take a bit of working out as to how it would actually... well, work, but... yeah, I'm intrigued by that.

Edit: Some random thoughts that came to me on this subject while listening to music...

The doppelgängers might be like a single person split in half.

It could be possible for the two halves to become a whole, merging into a single person. Maybe by ritual or by something as simple as touching each other. Sometimes both halves want this, sometimes both prefer to live separately, and sometimes one wants to be whole while the other doesn't.

I don't envision every person in the town having a doppelgänger, personally.

The cause of the phenomenon might be spirit-related.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 08.14.2014, 11:29 AM.

08.14.2014, 10:07 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks