QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Revolutionary Girl Utena
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Revolutionary Girl Utena » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At the very end though, when Utena opens the Rose Gate, Anthy finally reaches up to her to be saved by her. What is going on here? I can understand your take on her betrayal of Utena but why the seemingly sudden change of mind at the very end?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.23.2013, 10:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few things have changed at that point.

When Anthy gives herself up to the swords of hatred, she knows she loves Utena, but she doesn't know if Utena feels the same way about her. In fact, Utena is still all about "saving" Anthy by defeating Akio; she's still thinking selfishly, stuck in the naive mindset of the duels. However, after being betrayed, Utena finally admits "the times I spent with you were the only times I've ever been truly happy." This in and of itself changes quite a lot. But then on top of that, I think Utena finally demonstrates a selfless love for Anthy that has nothing to do with ego; even after the betrayal, even after losing the final duel, she still wants to alleviate Anthy's suffering. And finally, after demonstrating the selflessness of her love, Utena tells Anthy not to fear the outside world, because it's the only place where they can truly meet.

I think it's a combination of all these factors: Utena's vocal proclamation of love and her demonstration of that love finally convince Anthy that they share the same feelings. Now Anthy is willing to trust Utena. But Utena tells her that they only way they can truly meet is in the outside world.

So now Anthy has a reason to reach out. Someone she loves and trusts is braving the swords of hatred for her, and telling her she can't go on living in her coffin. She's finally been shown a love stronger than her own fear, and that's why she's able to reach for Utena's hand.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 11.23.2013, 12:34 PM.

11.23.2013, 12:31 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to interrupt, but as we haven't had any art on here for a while I thought I'd post this, since it stood as looking very cool (not perfect of course - I notice half of Anthy has disappeared, for example...)

Also apologies if this shows up really big! I tried to fix it.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.24.2013, 11:08 AM.

11.24.2013, 11:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The rest of Anthy is behind Utena, those sweeping red lines are the (admittedly minimalist) skirt of her dress.

Its a nice pic. I like it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.24.2013, 11:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Sorry to interrupt,

Interrupt what? Me talking myself to death?

Okay screw analyzing the show, here's a creepy AMV.

11.24.2013, 06:04 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Very good, great editing, perfect song. Needed to feature more Akio though.

11.24.2013, 07:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oooh very impressive. I liked when there were several bits of the Black Rose arc, and it would've been nice to see that stretched out a bit more, but it was still very good, and the song fitted really well. Even the style of the music seemed appropriate for Utena I thought.

On another note, the offical boxsets for the entire series are on sale at a huge discount! As this is Region 1 and shipped from the US, it's most relevant for people in North America.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.25.2013, 07:36 AM.

11.25.2013, 07:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I already own these box sets.

I am seriously tempted to buy backup copies.

11.25.2013, 08:33 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

It is tempting, but I don't have anything that can play Region 1 DVDs, unless I make my new laptop Region 1, but then it'd be unable to play any of my existing DVDs... So I guess for me it isn't really worth it. Shame, because the extra stuff sounds great and I love the box designs too.

11.25.2013, 09:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

How old is your DVD player? Almost every modern one ignores region encoding now. I have a NAD L53 that must be 10 years old now and it has always played everything. I had to set it up to do that when I bought it but the manual gave clear instructions. You can usually check online or in the shop when you go to buy one.

My PC and laptop are both 3 years old and play anything. This doesn't seem to be a cheat or anything dodgy, I think that the encoding thing is more a control or trade regulation rather than intended to be an annoying limitation for the customer.

EDIT: I checked that site, they only ship inside the USA it seems, the form refused to accept a British address. They still want $49 for shipping which seems ridiculously expensive. Too many dealers offer apparently cheap deals then claw the money back off you by charging around 2x to 3x their postage costs.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.25.2013, 12:14 PM.

11.25.2013, 12:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

All I have here is my computer. At home I have an ancient TV/DVD combi that I got for £10. If laptops do allow multiple regions that would be fine but I really don't know until I get the new one...

I'd looked at the page about shipping and didn't see anything about places being excluded, only the rates which didn't sound too bad. I might look and see what happens if I hypotheically try to have it sent to Japan.

11.25.2013, 11:07 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The address boxes require you to give your state and you can't not put one. It defaults to Alabama. They say they charge $250 post and packing to Canada so I can't imagine what they'll want you to pay to send a set to Japan, even if you can contact them by e-mail to get around their weird order form.

I'd like a box set but I'll search elsewhere, pretty sure Amazon might stock them.

11.26.2013, 02:43 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I think you misread something Saddletank. I think what they mean is that you get free shipping to Canada with a purchase over $250 (and free US shipping with a purchase over $50). Also, there is a separate international order form if you click a link at the top of the page.

It seems like international shipping is only $13.50? Can it really be that cheap? Anyway, I guess I ended up buying it again, kind of on accident. Watch out, there's no final confirmation page. As soon as you submit your payment information the order goes through.

11.26.2013, 04:10 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Ah, I hate when sites don't give you a last chance to check over your order. And yes, it's definitely free shipping to Canada. Anyway, I probably shouldn't really be buying it, as even at this price it's still quite a lot of money.

11.26.2013, 05:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Aha! I misread everything! Again! That's good news. (not that I misread everything but that its much cheaper to post than I thought)

11.26.2013, 10:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

So, turns out actually my order didn't go through, because I guess they will only ship to the billing address associated with the card you use to make the purchase. That doesn't really work for me if I try to ship to Japan, because I'm still using my American card. I could still try to ship to my old address, but they also want you to scan a bunch of stuff, like a billing statement . . . I dunno why they have to make it so complicated. Bummer because it's such a great deal.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 11.27.2013, 03:10 AM.

11.27.2013, 03:07 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I can't even begin to imagine the complications that would involve. O_o I think I'll just stick to the box sets I already own!

11.27.2013, 08:28 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Yeah that would be a bit tough... One option I'd suggest is just submitting your postal address as the billing address. I have never had an issue with my billing address being listed wrong, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Plus it would hurt me inside to order one and not keep it.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.27.2013, 10:56 AM.

11.27.2013, 10:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

You could order two and keep one of them!

11.27.2013, 11:12 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Even on offer it's a bit too extravagant I think. Maybe if something comes up before the offer ends I'll change my mind.

Anyway, here's another piece of fanart that I saw on the RGU Facebook page!

11.27.2013, 11:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks