QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Expensive Anime
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Expensive Anime » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Expensive Anime Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The place promised in our early days is an example, 9 years old and no cheaper than £15 for the DVD, why ?

This is stupid, charge more for a product that has less demand ?.

Post last edited by Koda on 07.30.2013, 02:29 PM.

07.30.2013, 02:26 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Basic capitalist rules apply. Supply and demand. If you can sell 1000s of popular DVDs you can cut the price right down. If it's not selling much sellers won't gain anything by cutting the price.

I'm sure you can find it for less than that online.

I found an English dub on YouTube.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4y72FWqrA

Ak. Just hearing that tune gets a lump in my throat. Such a good film.

EDIT: Just looking around the web it seems to be incredibly expensive. I wonder why? Maybe because Garden of Words just came out and more people are discovering Shinkai for the first time?

But 140 dollars or 100 pounds for this? Mm, odd.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.30.2013, 02:47 PM.

07.30.2013, 02:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would love to have a box set of Paranoia Agent, but for some baffling reason it has never seen a reissue. Currently the remaining new copies are going for $450 on Amazon.

07.30.2013, 05:39 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah I've noticed that The Place Promised in Our Early Days is often very expensive, and I've never been quite sure why. It's possible it's not a big seller so stored don't bother to reduce it. On the other hand, maybe it is very popular and they feel they can get away without dropping the price.

If it's still available, the Shinkai Collection contains both that and Voices from a Distant Star, and it was a better deal, certainly at the time I got it. Maybe now there'll be a set that includes more of his films too.

07.30.2013, 06:29 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I want both and both are expensive. I don't want to but, might have to watch it on YouTube, goes against my morals.

This is silly, why it's so expensive . Discourages fans of Anime to buy, I also wanted to point out if anyone is in the UK, there is a Second hand store called CEX.

It sells anything entertainment, but it sells the Ghibli films for £15 each so like $19. They sell the Blu Ray and DVD combi, which is cheaper doesn't make sense.

They have Journey To Agartha for £25.

07.31.2013, 03:28 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Your CEX sounds quite pricey! The one here sells things a lot cheaper than that. I think though, they base their prices on what is the standard, and obviously reduce it because it's second-hand. So if something is normally expensive, it'll still cost more than other things in there. That sounds unsually high for CEX though.

07.31.2013, 05:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I would love to have a box set of Paranoia Agent, but for some baffling reason it has never seen a reissue. Currently the remaining new copies are going for $450 on Amazon.

Really?

*rubs his copy creepily and looks around suspiciously, Gollum-style.*

My preciousssss.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.31.2013, 02:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah that is the price, there is a standard and the price is the same in every CEX store, maybe mine hasn't been updated or yours hasn't.

Saddle, the envy coming from within

07.31.2013, 02:10 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Really? I swear I've seen copies of the same thing for different prices in the one branch.

07.31.2013, 04:21 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Yeah, it's when prices haven't been updated. They don't charge different prices, they charge the lowest price.

07.31.2013, 05:26 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks