QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anticipated anime/manga
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anticipated anime/manga » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The autumn season is looking pretty good! Shows I definitely intend to check out are Kill la Kill (which I've gushed about already), Coppelion (which I was interested in when it was announced ages ago but then it was delayed indefinitely after the earthquake), and Kyoukai no Kanata (a supernatural action series from KyoAni). Some others sound like they have potential, but apart from these three, it'll depend on what I hear.

09.30.2013, 10:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We'll see what it is like, but I just ordered "Wolf Children" movie... I read some good words on it... We'll see...

11.21.2013, 05:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah. I heard it was good! When I had the chance to see it I wasn't all that interested, but now I think I'd like to check it out some time.

11.21.2013, 08:28 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Part of what attracted me to the title was a sidebar saying something like "the new Miyazaki"...

11.22.2013, 12:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Ah, don't pay attention to that. There are some similarities, but it's really not fair to compare the two. Have you seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Summer Wars? They were by the same director and were perfectly good in their own right.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.22.2013, 08:14 AM.

11.22.2013, 08:14 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Haven't seen Summer Wars, but have the other one... I liked it.

11.22.2013, 12:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
We'll see what it is like, but I just ordered "Wolf Children" movie... I read some good words on it... We'll see...

Wolf Children is good! Very sweet, though not as good (in my mind) as Summer Wars or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, since at points the plot didn't feel fleshed out enough for me. However, I think that's because the manga it's derived from is still ongoing so the plot hasn't reached completion yet thus the story isn't rounded off. It's still a lovely little film though.

11.22.2013, 06:07 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I looked up 'Summer Wars" and yes, I did see it and do remember it... I thought it was wild... poor math whiz...

11.22.2013, 06:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Summer Wars was interesting for the amazing cast of characters, most of whom made an impact and the joke about the extent of an old family's power. Other than that I thought it was a weak film; the female lead was a ditzy copy of the lead from Leapt Through Time and the plot was flimsy and clearly aimed at a contemporary audience with a fairly big slice of that lowest-common-denominator factor. The grandma was just a bag of walking tropes.

Leapt Through Time took an old idea and did fresh, funny and touching things with it but Summer Wars was just eye candy without substance. I hope the director and studio go on to do something with more depth next.

And the "next Miyazaki" label that every successful anime directopr gets dumped on him these days is just an attempt to grab viewing figures. I'm sure its not the critics who say that, but his producers. Satoshi Kon was possibly the only one worthy of that title, though Makoto Shinkai also has a magical touch but really I don't think Miyazaki is replaceable at all; his sharp eye, dedication to detail and cultural focus is unique.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.22.2013, 09:39 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Satoshi Kon was a great director because he wasn't "the next Miyazaki." He never emulated Miyazaki; he was his own artist with his own style and a very different set of influences and concerns. There will never be a new Miyazaki any more than there will ever be a new Kubrick, or Tarkovsky, or [insert famous director here].

I don't think these new directors are necessarily trying to emulate Miyazaki either, but the media making comparisons doesn't help. Personally I feel like Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda are minor talents; they aren't hacks by any means, but they don't really manage to transcend the medium. I wouldn't necessarily recommend one of their movies to someone who wasn't already interested in anime.

11.22.2013, 10:02 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's a strong view. I think Garden of Words is pure magic and would enthrall anyone, even someone who had never seen a single non-western animated film.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.23.2013, 12:36 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Orphic, I completely agree with you when it comes to Shinkai and Hosoda. Hosoda's films are entertaining but, on the whole, somewhat forgettable to me. And I feel that Shinkai's attempt at stepping outside his comfort zone with the film "Children Who Chase Stars" showed exactly how limited his comfort zone is. I haven't seen any of his works since then, so I can't comment on Garden of Words.

Kon is the one who has made films which I consider as equals among the best of Studio Ghibli. His "Millenium Actress" has always been one of my favourite films - animated or not.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.23.2013, 02:28 AM.

11.23.2013, 12:42 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
arren18
Administrator

I've enjoyed what I've seen of all three directors, but I think the "next Miyazaki" thing is harmful because not only does it downplay the fact that they each have quite distinct styles, but it also suggests that we somehow need another Miyazaki. One is enough, and that's okay! Even within Ghibli there are directors with very different ways of doing things, and it's all the better for it.

11.23.2013, 01:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I agree with you, arren...

Good to see you, Theowne, it's been awhile...

As for the 'next Miyazaki' label, I didn't say that I believed it, just that it caught my eye... I don't think it is proper that his name is being used like that, but there it is...

11.23.2013, 04:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I personally don't beleive it either and I agree with Arren's take on it. By mentioning it above in relation to other directors and writers I was attempting to suggest they were extremely good in their own right, but not "the next Miyazaki" which we don't have nor need.

I agree with you Theowne that "Children" was a dismal failure, over-long, rambling and nonsensical, and Shinkai's use of modern politics and soldiers in a fantasy world felt awkward to say the least. I had actually forgotten that film of his, so low do I rate it!

We probably should create another thread to discuss various directors work in relation to Ghibli?

Post last edited by Saddletank on 11.23.2013, 10:45 AM.

11.23.2013, 10:44 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Is anyone planning to watch anything from the winter season? There are some I'd like to check out which could go either way (Hamatora and Nisekoi might be good, and some others too) but are there any series other people are looking forward to?

01.02.2014, 01:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first episode of Kyousougiga was promising. Is that winter? I guess it started in October...but according to Wikipedia, it still has two or three episodes to go. I might watch that when it's done airing. I can't really describe it, because I don't think I understood it at all, but the animation was amazing and it was pretty funny.

01.02.2014, 01:44 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SWORD ART ONLINE BECAUSE I WAN MY SINONON.

*cough*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.02.2014, 11:06 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

I found out the other day that Durarara!! is getting a second anime series, which I didn't expect at all after such a long time. Not sure when it'll happen, but I'm looking forward to it.

03.23.2014, 10:27 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

THREAD NECROING!!!

Haha, it's been that long, huh? Then again the series I'm watching aren't ending soon, so maybe that's why. Nothing stellar from my watch list though, other than Tonari no Seki-kun.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.24.2014, 08:29 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks