QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - From Up On Poppy Hill is coming to Australia this September!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » From Up On Poppy Hill is coming to Australia this September! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  From Up On Poppy Hill is coming to Australia this September!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just saw on facebook that From Up On Poppy Hill is coming to Australia this September! Zomg i be so excited!!!!! AND JUST SUBS! YAYAYAY
Session times are yet to be confirmed, but it will be part of a "Reel Anime 2012" line up from Sept 13 - 26 by Madman entertainment.

FROM UP ON POPPY HILL Director – Goro Miyazaki Set in Yokohama, From Up On Poppy Hill is a high school love story that take place in the year before the 1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics. As the country begins to pick itself up from the devastation of the Second World War, the new generation struggles to move towards a prosperous future whilst trying not to lose the essence of their past. The film's rich and vibrant animation captures the entrancing beauty of Yokohama's harbour and lush surrounding hillsides and, with a soundtrack that draws inspiration from the finest music of the time, perfectly captures the thrills of young romance and the hope of a new dawn.

Consumer Advice: General
Run time: 91 mins

They also have a gallery of stills and a trailer with English subs on the website, so check it out even if your not Aussie.

08.01.2012, 11:02 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We need to discuss this movie more.

It didn't come to my country, or maybe I missed it, and I don't plan on buyin another DVD this year, so I just downloaded a blu-ray version to watch sometime soon. Should be good.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.01.2012, 11:39 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i am making a review on that

it is not epic but is underrated so much quality in music and animation and story that ratings seems a little bit too low.

hey calforsale did you watched it or did not

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.02.2012, 02:59 AM.

08.02.2012, 02:57 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah it seems good!
I'm glad its coming (relatively) quickly to Australia. Good they aren't waiting for America to make some dubs.

Is there any news of when it will come to other countries like the UK and US?

No i haven't seen it yet, waiting for it to come to the cinemas here in a couple of months.
I think a review of it would be great! Be sure to write *spoiler* though

08.02.2012, 03:04 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do not have the direct release date but it will come something near 2013

IT is going to be the first Studio Ghibli English Dub Movie

Link1

Link2

Link3

Do you guys know anymore films which was dubbed in english by ghibli

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

08.02.2012, 03:18 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched From Up on Poppy Hill and it was a major disappointment.

Like I said on another thread, it was dull and lifeless just like Goro's previous film, Tales from Earthsea. The characters are flat and uninteresting.

I get the feeling that Goro's weakness as a director comes from his unwillingness to take risks. He simply goes through the motions of the script. He isn't daring and he doesn't add his own personal touch to his films like Miyazaki and Takahata do.

Post last edited by msteve60 on 08.02.2012, 07:34 PM.

08.02.2012, 07:31 PM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey guys, havent been on for a while but will be back for now!! In terms of when it is coming to the US and UK is still unbeknown to most of us in the UK, i heard soemwhere that with the completion of arrietty saw the ed of the contract between Disney and Ghibli, I dont know whether it will be renewed but i think because of this it will take longer than normal to get to the UK and US!!

08.03.2012, 11:05 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

The theatrical release contract between disney and ghibli is over and unlikely that it will be redone.

The former ghibli partner Gkids have contracted with ghibli and will release the ghibli movies in theaters from now on. The home entertainment division of disney still hold the contract of dvds and bluray

It is a very bad news for me cause it is will practically stop the ways for ghibli to earn anymore oscars also it will stop the ways to make dubs by artists like Cristian bale[howls moving castle][batman actor].

Gkids have released some movies in us and uk but most of those were in arthouse and very very small theaters. It is for them many us and uk people thinks studio a ghibli direct to video kind of studio[which is a very very bad title for any studio]

It will practically stop ways to make the english dubs by John lesseter.

So it will practically close ways to make people like me to watch studio ghibli movies.Cause no more spirited away will be made.

Why studio ghibli always ignores people other than Japanese.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.05.2012, 07:55 AM.

08.05.2012, 02:41 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just a quick note, saviour.

'Japs' is a derogatory manner of referring to the Japanese people. It would be similar to referring to Bangladeshi as Bangi's... I respect all nationalities regardless or whether or not I like the country in general and try to refer to them accordingly...
I will admit that when I was in Vietnam fighting against the North Vietnamese I used bad terms while referring to these people. Now, I do not.

You may have used the term unintentionally, but I felt that I had to mention it...

No hard feelings, ok,

08.05.2012, 05:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Just a quick note, saviour.

'Japs' is a derogatory manner of referring to the Japanese people. It would be similar to referring to Bangladeshi as Bangi's... I respect all nationalities regardless or whether or not I like the country in general and try to refer to them accordingly...
I will admit that when I was in Vietnam fighting against the North Vietnamese I used bad terms while referring to these people. Now, I do not.

You may have used the term unintentionally, but I felt that I had to mention it...

No hard feelings, ok,

Yeah i did not know that [we use japani in our country i learnt this word from war movies actually but did not actually saw the derogatory expression]

i thought japs is short-form for Japanese. corrected [Japanese people have been with us since our independence it was one of the first country that gave us acceptance also till now it gives us huge amount of help in form of technology and money. and it is close to me (both in the sense of culture and distance). So there is absolutely no issue of disrespect.]

but about bangi's lol

we are sometimes called bangali's thats just two letter more from what you said and also there is a fruit of that name in my country

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.05.2012, 08:08 AM.

08.05.2012, 07:53 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You see I never knew that either, not that I refer to Japanese people as japs, I thought it is just like calling the British, Brits, which is not rude or derogative in any way, at least I don't think it is!!

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 08.05.2012, 11:52 AM.

08.05.2012, 11:49 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
You see I never knew that either, not that I refer to Japanese people as japs, I thought it is just like calling the British, Brits, which is not rude or derogative in any way, at least I don't think it is!!

After I wrote that post very early this morning I thought of the very same expression, 'Brits', and thought pretty much the same as well... I'm not sure why one is bad and the other is not, generally speaking.

@saviour:
I much rather be called a Bangali that a Bangi, lol...

Are Canadians, Can's???

08.05.2012, 12:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's just an old term. It's the same way negros in america won't even bat an eyelid if someone called them a n-ger.

Especially considering how no one cares about the F-word anymore even, I'd have to say our society now is pretty much hardened against insults.

Except gays. Now there's one mystery to solve.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.06.2012, 05:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Roar quote:
"It's the same way negros in america won't even bat an eyelid if someone called them a n-ger."

I don't know where you get that idea from...

Believe me, if I had the audacity to call a Black man by that name, unless it was a very close friend in play, I could expect to get my block knocked off. In some neighborhoods, i might be shot...

Some Black men, among themselves, might call one another that name, but not in polite society... many Black men don't like it even among themselves..I will admit that some bigots use it quite freely... But they are defective mentalities anyway IMO...

It is definitely not used in normal daily society...

08.06.2012, 06:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Roar quote:
"It's the same way negros in america won't even bat an eyelid if someone called them a n-ger."

I don't know where you get that idea from...

Believe me, if I had the audacity to call a Black man by that name, unless it was a very close friend in play, I could expect to get my block knocked off. In some neighborhoods, i might be shot...

Some Black men, among themselves, might call one another that name, but not in polite society... many Black men don't like it even among themselves..I will admit that some bigots use it quite freely... But they are defective mentalities anyway IMO...

It is definitely not used in normal daily society...

really

then american films tell a lot of lies nowadays. Although i thought the same thing would happen to me what husky said. but those films convinces me differently

cause there that word is used frequently quite easily

08.06.2012, 06:50 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

You said the key word there, "films" They use it for the shock value... Gotta titillate the paying public y'know... And usually you will see a Black man saying it because he is supposed to be the tough, bad-a$$ dude...

edit:

Nite all, I gotta go to bed... it's 4am here...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.06.2012, 06:59 AM.

08.06.2012, 06:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's probably here in Finnland in september-october

08.06.2012, 08:40 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks