QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hey guys!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Hey guys! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.07.12
  Hey guys!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Buffy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, I just thought I'd make this little introduction post.
So, I'm Linda. I'm 18 and I live in Canada.

Now, I'll admit. I'm not the world's largest anime or Studio Ghibli fan. The main reason? I don't understand Japanese and subtitles frustrate me xD
Which is why I usually watch the dubs.

Now, the first Studio Ghibli movie I ever saw was Spirited Away. It became an instant favourite and has remained close to my heart forever. The 2nd and only other Studio Ghibli movie I've seen is The Cat Returns. LOVED IT!
So now that it's summer and I have more free time than I should... I am going to get back into Studio Ghibli, and watch as many of the movies as possible!

Also, I'm somewhat addicted to Death Note... I just got interested in the manga and I'm already looking forward to watching the anime.

Anyway, I hope you guys will be patient with me as I enjoy these movies.
Have a great summer!

07.07.2012, 10:13 PM Buffy is offline   Profile for Buffy Add Buffy to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  GrettingsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey Linda

Welcome to the artistic and dramatic universe of Studio Ghibli.

This is the world's largest studio ghibli fanbase. Here you can find people almost from anywhere of the world.

So just stay tuned to meet some amazing people.

About movie suggestion i think
the first one you should see is "My neighbor Totoro".
Then "Whisper of the heart".
Then "Princess Mononoke" or "Nausicaa of the valley of the wind".

Then "Howl's moving castle".
Then "Kiki's delivery service".
Then "Porco rosso".
Then "Only yesterday". Then "Grave of the fireflies".
Then "My neighbors The yamadas".
Then "Arriety the borrowers". there are some more but you can watch them later.

Now almost all of these movies are called masterpieces of animation. And these are not only popular among the normal movie lovers like us but also to famous animation creators.

To justify this fact you can go to IMDb web page and you will see atleast 4+ of these titles are among the top 250 movies of all time!!!!!

And almost all the movies are in top 50 animation of all time.

You can not find another studio to have that kind of reputation.

And i gave you the titles serially because it is better to watch them that way to understand the flavor of studio ghibli. Of course you can watch them any way you like.

Hoping the best for you.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.08.2012, 01:24 AM.

07.08.2012, 01:22 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, Buffy

Here's hoping that you will enjoy being a member of the Tavern. There ate a number of people in here from around the world (including some in Canada) and while we don't usually give out our names, if you feel comfortable enough (as you obviously did), then so be it.

I encourage you to join in in some of the threads that you might like. We try ti keep the topics going that are fairly recent, one or two pages back. I may be overruled on this by our ever-present and lovable mod, Roarkiller...

agaain, welcome...

07.08.2012, 03:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome Buff.

If you liked the fantasy of Spirited Away and Cat Returns then I think you'd like Princess Mononoke and My Neighbour Totoro as well. These both draw on a lot of Japanese folklore and settings, though one is set in the 1500s and the other in the 1950s.

Porco Rosso, Howls Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are all set in fantasy versions of Europe the first in the 1920s in the Adriatic of Northern Italy and the others in a slightly steam-punky Victorian world.

Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind is the closest to sc-fi that Ghibli gets.

These are all 'action' stories with great and memorable characters.

Kiki's Delivery Service is set likewise in a fantasized version of Denmark/Sweden but has much gentler overtones. Its a coming-of-age story.

Other Ghiblis like Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves are all about people and relationships and are quite a lot different, those these three are among my personal favourites.

Grave of the Fireflies could be classed wth these three as it is about people in an extraordinary situation but its a special film that stands alone from any other Ghibli and possibly any other animated film, anywhere.

My Neighbours the Yamadas is a series of comic short stories and its based on a newspaper cartoon strip. Its completely different in animation atyle and content to anything else.

I can't comment on newer Ghiblis, having not see any since Tales from Earthsea which I can't recommend at all. It was a complete flop.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.08.2012, 10:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I encourage you to join in in some of the threads that you might like. We try ti keep the topics going that are fairly recent, one or two pages back. I may be overruled on this by our ever-present and lovable mod, Roarkiller...

You are thus hereby overruled.

I sentence you to one hour in the naughty corner.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.08.2012, 10:11 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the tavern Buffy. Hope you enjoy the rest of the Ghibli movies as much as you enjoyed those two

07.08.2012, 10:48 AM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

naughty corner???

I didn't know we had one...

heh heh, where is it?

Oh, yeah, Buffy... if you're reading this, THAT was our Moderator, (such as it is...

Husky strolls off, whistling, looking for the 'naughty corner'...

Hey Saddles... you seen this here 'naughty corner'?

I know Kaze wouldn't know. She's never bad...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.08.2012, 06:06 PM.

07.08.2012, 05:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! hope you become a part of this community.. pretty small, but we're still active.

07.09.2012, 12:34 AM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Buffy
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Buffy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey everyone!

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful recommendations! I'll consider all your thoughts when I choose which movie to start with!! ^^

It really is great to be here. You all seem like such a lovely, fun and wonderful group of people! I can't wait to really get into this site

Also, thanks for all the wonderful welcomes. It makes me feel at home :3

Anyyywaayyy... It's like 2 am here... I need to get to sleep, even if I had a huge 3 hour nap earlier... Meh, time to drift off to dreamland.
I might be back tomorrow with thoughts on the first Studio Ghibli movie I watch. It will most likely be Spirited Away as I haven't watched it in forever, but still!

07.09.2012, 01:10 AM Buffy is offline   Profile for Buffy Add Buffy to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

and still, a very good choice, Buffy...

I have got to ask,
How did you come up with that user name?

you must be over in the east. FFF is in the Nova Scotia area, if I remember correctly. I was born in Vancouver, BC, but moved to the Statrs when I was 6. I'm the old geezer in the Tavern... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.09.2012, 02:20 AM.

07.09.2012, 02:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Buffy
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Buffy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, most people believe it's because I'm a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I am, but I started using Buffy in my usernames long before I started watching the show.

See, my dog's name is Buffy. I've had him since I was 8, and he's 10 years old now. He literally means the world to me! No joke!
See, I was bullied all through grade 1 to 9 (it still kept going on in grade 10, but by then I had switched schools).
So my first year at school, I had no friends. Most of my 2nd year at school, I had no friends. Well, until my parents picked up my brand new puppy! We went through several names (Blackie, Louie, Kitchen dog...), but eventually settled on Buffy - and yes, he is a boy with what most people associate as a girls' name xD

Anyway, basically I adore him to bits and he was my only friend for years, so he means a lot to me. I started putting Buffy into my usernames when I joined the internet at age 13 XD

And yep! I'm in Nova Scotia! ^^ I lived most of my life in Norway, but moved back 2 years ago. I must say, I like it here a lot better than Norway XD

Hahaha! Old geezer?! xDDDD Wow, I usually feel like the old geezer because my parents are kind of old and so are my siblings (let's just say, if my oldest brother had a baby in his teens, it would be my age xD)

Post last edited by Buffy on 07.09.2012, 12:03 PM.

07.09.2012, 12:03 PM Buffy is offline   Profile for Buffy Add Buffy to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Sharix and I believe O-Jay 88 are from Norway, if I remember correctly...

I will be 66 in September... and I been a member for over 4 yrs now... I enjoy conversing with people from all over the world...

07.09.2012, 12:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now its my tturn now everyone else has had a go.

Welcome to the tavern Buffy, i can only reitterate what people have already said except..... you should watch Howls Moving Castle first, as everyone knows one this forum it is my favourite ghibli film and will be till I die, and considering I am only 18 that is a long way off I HOPE!!! HEHE!!

Anyway, like you have already picked up on everyone round here are a friendly bunch..... well untill Saviour starts a debate then it can pretty heated, which I think everyone will agree with me on. HAHA!!! Anyway, don't be afraid to voice your opinion, I know us lot aren't, me and husky are often agreeing to disagree about certain points in Ghibli films.

As an added point to husky, age is but a number, you are as young as you feel. Cliche I know but the principal of the matter still remains.

Ohh and Just to let you know I am from good old Blighty as we would say here *Clears throat, puts his nose in the air, and puts a posh accent on* The fellow from just across the pond what what!! HAHA. Anyway for now welcome and I hope you get stuck into the site!!

Pip Pip, Cheerio!! HEHE!

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 07.10.2012, 06:19 AM.

07.10.2012, 06:17 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101

me and husky are often agreeing to disagree about certain points in Ghibli films.

As an added point to husky, age is but a number, you are as young as you feel. Cliche I know but the principal of the matter still remains.

Pip Pip, Cheerio!! HEHE!

Pip, Pip, Cheerio!!!
sheesh, My grandmother and her sister were from the London area and I never remember her saying that, lol

BTW, I disagree with you about disagreeing with you, so I disagree, agreed?

as for the age factor, while most of the time I feel younger than I am, at thimes I feel much, much older.... And at my age that can be bad, lol

have a good day, Wiki...
Ta...

lol

07.10.2012, 01:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks