QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How do you like your ghibli movies subbed or dubbed?why?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » How do you like your ghibli movies subbed or dubbed?why? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  How do you like your ghibli movies subbed or dubbed?why?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello guys,
i am a completely new user of this site.I just happen to be acquainted with studio ghibli and hayao miyazaki just this week.His and the movies of his studio will never be available in my country.And the DVDs of studio ghibli are very very rare too.It is because of the internet[internet is something like a alladins lamp to me] and IMDb that i have known that such director of excellence was unknown to me[as i am a movie lover and watch movies of all countries] when i saw spirited away was number 2 in top 50 animations i was thinking how could i not see the movie[because 25 titles was seen by me in top 50].so i saw the movie and i was stunned for at least 2 minutes after the movie was finished.but i didn't know there was more.when searched i saw at least 7 of his movies were in top 50 and all of them were in the list 250 movies of all time!
i was astonished because there is no director in the world who have seven titles in top 50 in any department[check it].so i watched all of his movies within 3 days.i just cannot express my felling after seeing his movies.it was a experience i have never had before it was like dream!specially nausicaa of the valley of the wind and princess mononoke.

the reason i started this thread is because

1. to express my feelings
2.the question i asked in the thread. ('')

now in many forums [a lot and lot of] i saw the complain of watching ghibli movies dubbed.many people think that dubbing makes the movies uninteresting while the others think that dubbing is useful.('')

the question of dubbing also came out because of the cut version of nausicaa of the valley of the wind.which was renamed warrior of wind was 26 minutes smaller[was a rubbish according to majority viewers] but the Disney dub seemed very very good to me and it was better than subtitles[in subtitles you can not understand feelings at all and in Japanese language fellings is a little harder to find](i am not a anime fan so i am not very sure)(only dragonball,doraemon and fullmetal alchemist is my favourite). but the miramax disney dubb of princess mononoke is fantastic.

So why everybody hates disney for the dubs? ('')

i am telling this because miyazaki whenever was asked said that watchers should watch his movies in their own language.[after becoming his fan i have been doing a lot of research on him ('')]

he also said that 10-20% of the movie is lost if you see the subtitles.

so please tell me how do you like to watch the movies?and why('')

PLEASE DO NOT EXPRESS YOUR HATRED TOWARDS ANY STUDIO.

ONE OF THE USER HERE SAID THAT WHO ,WHO WATCHED HAYAO MIYAZAKI MOVIES,INSPIRED HIM TO BE A BETTER MAN.IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MASSAGE OF HAYAO MIYAZAKI.DO NOT FORGET THAT. ('')

this thread can be asset to all the anime lovers and all forums to understand different languages.

special request: please rate nausicaa of the valley of the wind in imdb. it is in 244 in top 250.if you did not like the movie very much then watch the disney dubb and rate it.before it dissappears from the list.it is the best movie of miyazaki.[believe me the list is a very very important thing and spread this massage to your friends and other forums you are involved in]

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.11.2012, 03:04 AM.

02.24.2012, 03:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

first of all, Welcome to the tavern, Saviour2012, Welcome...

I actually prefer subtitles myself. I lived in Japan for over 1-1/2 years, mostly at sea, but a lot of quality time in-country. I seem to be able to 'feel' the emotion of the words in their original language, which in my case is mostly Japanese. If I have the DVD, then I can always rewind (so to speak) until I have watched the movie or episode enough to watch it straight through. Which with a Ghibli is not a problem for me... lol I never have to back up on any of my Ghibli movies at this point.

A number of the anime that I have and have see are dubbed and they are ok, but I prefer to watch them in the original with subs...

edit:
I notice that you mention that Ghibli movies will not be available in your country. With out meaning to be rude, may I ask what country you are from?

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.24.2012, 04:00 PM.

02.24.2012, 03:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

thank youPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i am from Bangladesh.It is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.the nature here is almost like japan as both the country's soil are actually made from sea sand.the nature here just the same as it has shown in totoro.it is also one of the reason i liked miyazaki's movies. it is Asia.I think we are one of the best friends of japan after America and Britain.But we are not very rich.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

02.24.2012, 04:30 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like my anime's dubbed, so i can relate to them better. A bad dub can make me judgmental on the film. However i will gladly watch a subbed Japanese anime as i find the accent of the girls very cute.

02.24.2012, 05:14 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Saviour...

My daughter lives in Saudi Arabia and watches Ghibli (and other anime) movies with her kids on international TV. If that is available there in Bangladesh, maybe you can watch some of them that way.

Good to see you in the Tavern.

02.25.2012, 02:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

welcome Saviour..what a great first post!!

First of all I'm definitely giving Nausicaa a 10/10...i had no idea it was so down in the ratings...

Now, about the dubbing...i must say I prefer all of Miyazaki's in Japanese with subtitles except "Howl's Moving Castle" which was really amazing in English!! (i'm sure miyazaki had something to do with the dubbing in this one).

I love the Japanese version and especially Spirited Away is so magical in japanese...i could never watch it dubbed!!!!
But the same goes for Ponyo, or Totoro, or Nausicaa, etc..

and I'm not against Disney or anything, but believe me I tried to watch the dubbed version and I was SO dissapointed...

I truly think that Disney should try really harder with the dubbing of the movies ( for example Ponyo's theme song was in my opinion a dishonor to the english younger audience, compared to the japanese song...)

In the end I find most Ghibli movies so good to watch in Japanese, but with a really good subtitled translation

02.26.2012, 05:12 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am either way, I can watch them either Subbed or Dubbed. It is all dependent on the mood I am in while I watch them, if I am tired I generally tend to watch them Dubbed as I can never be asked to keep up with the subtitles.

I also generally watch them Dubbed, even though most people say the Dubbing is bad I can push through it and see past it.

@jina, I totally agree with you HMC is the best dubbed Ghibli by far. Also one of the best Ghiblis fullstop.

02.26.2012, 08:19 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
if I am tired I generally tend to watch them Dubbed as I can never be asked to keep up with the subtitles.

I also generally watch them Dubbed, even though most people say the Dubbing is bad I can push through it and see past it.

Okay, I totally understand, but,still, I feel that most films lose something in the dubbed version

when you watch it with subs, after a while, you won't even realize you're reading the subs; your mind is doing it automatically...
plus, it is scientifically proven, that when you watch a film with subs you're learning the language you're hearing.

quote:

@jina, I totally agree with you HMC is the best dubbed Ghibli by far. Also one of the best Ghiblis fullstop.

haha, I can see that you love it by your avatar

well I really love it myself , by the way have you read this from Wiki? :

Diana Wynne Jones did meet with representatives from Studio Ghibli but did not have any input or involvement in the production of the film. Miyazaki traveled to England in the summer of 2004 to give Jones a private viewing of the finished film. She has been quoted as saying:

"It's fantastic. No, I have no input—I write books, not films. Yes it will be different from the book—in fact it's likely to be very different, but that's as it should be. It will still be a fantastic film."[3]

The film is very different from Jones's original novel. The plot is similar, but it is flavored with Miyazaki's familiar style and characters, as well as several missing or drastically altered key plot points from the book. The plot is still focused on Sophie and her adventure while cursed with old age; however, the main action of the film's story takes place during a war, and its plot is chiefly concerned with Howl's attempts to avoid fighting in it for pacifist reasons. This aspect of the film's plot is actually rooted in Miyazaki's political views as a pacifist – in an interview with Newsweek magazine, Miyazaki told the interviewer that the movie had started production "just as your country [the USA] had started the war against Iraq", and the subsequent rage he felt about the Iraq war "profoundly impacted" the film.[4] The film is located in a fantastical nation somewhat reminiscent of pre-World War I Alsace.

02.27.2012, 03:55 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Thank you GuysPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am very happy that you all friends respected each others views and opinions.I am also very happy to see that you all have very eagerly joined to the discussion.

After posting this thread i posted same topics in different anime forums too.I have posted in facebook too.('')

Now here pretty much everybody seemed to missed the point to vote for the movies.You are thinking i am a crazy fan.('') Now i am telling you the reasons.The total number of movie watching people[about 500 millions] ('') is four times greater than anime and animation lovers.It is a very very common story that most of them think animes and animations are children's stuff.But for no reason i am going agree with anyone that Nausicaa of the valley of the wind and Princess Mononoke are not real movies.These two are more than just animation.

If spirited away were not in the number 2 position of top 50 animations of all time i would never have known about studio ghibli ever in my life.Another reason of rating is when i posted those threads in other forums i saw a lot of peoples have seen bleach.full metal alchemist,naruto and other animes series but they do not even know about studio ghibli.('')

People watch all kinds of movies all the time.But Hayao Miyazaki's movies posses some other magics too.It gives us the massage to clean up the environment and these movies also makes us understand the aspects of war and the brutality of men when they hunger for power.We also understand about the problems rapid industrialization.('')

So it will not be very bad if more and more people watch his movies.You do not know may be a bad man can turned into a good person after watching a movie.It is not just some chap-chap of me.There is a lot of proof of that.('')

The main reason why i am doing all these is because my country is one of the most severe victims of global warming.It will not be very wrong to tell that after 100 years we might be in the same situation as Nausicaa.('')

So friends as almost all of you have understood the felling and cry of nature because of pollution and industrialization.please help me.Rate the movie and inspire others to watch it.So that more and more people get to know what will happen if we do not change our ways.

Thank you
Yours Sincerely
Saviour 2012 ('')

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.27.2012, 12:06 PM.

02.27.2012, 10:27 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i watch dubbed first so i can relax and enjoy the film without having to think about reading. The second time in subs to get a more natural feel. After that its whatever im in the mood for...

03.01.2012, 09:30 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks