QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Appearance and Weight
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Appearance and Weight » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Appearance and WeightPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So, I've been kind of bothered by the amount of girls in my grade who are obsessed with being skinny. It's not good for them, and it's definitely not too good for bystanders, such as myself. I find when they start degrading themselves over weight or hair length or their face, it makes me worried about my own appearance.

For example; one of my close friends is a very very skinny girl. She has trouble gaining weight, and one of her sisters is like that too. When we're at school, people will pay more attention to her and commenting on her weight and how good she looks in clothes, while completely ignoring me who she was talking to. And sometimes, they tell me about how ugly they are when they wear tight fitting clothes because of their thighs... I want to strangle them.

I want to strangle them so badly because it damages how I perceive myself. I've never wanted to feel this way, but I can't help it, because I'm surrounded by these people who are so negative towards their own image.

In no way am I fat, but I'm not a stick. My boyfriend is a very tiny fellow, we fall around the same weight category but he has muscles at least. He would never call me skinny, but his perception is a bit different in this case. He's from South-East Asia, and just about everyone are very tiny. But fat to them is usually a good thing, since it means your healthy. And I don't mean fat as in huge, but with a little bit of weight. My mom suffers from a weight problem and has tried ridiculously hard to lose weight. But her health problems don't let her. It's sad because some people will comment on her weight or say fat people are all lazy without realizing how hard a number of people categorized that way try. And it's really sad when they can't.

I would go more into appearance, but this post is already becoming so long. So how does everyone else perceive appearance and weight? This can apply to dating too. How are you able to hande how society views these things?

03.23.2012, 06:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am fat... pure and simple. I've lost weight and gained it back a few times, now I don't bother. If I lose, fine. I don't go overboard when I eat and i eat mostly lean things. Don't care for cakes, might have an occasional donut or piece of pie. I've had ice cream in the freezer for months and haven't gotten around to eating it. My doctor has told me that I am not allowed to diet to lose weight because of the meds that I am taking. I have to pretty much eat the same foods during the week. I can have a couple of salads, but I have to watch the Vitamin K intake since too much can affect some of the meds.

@FFF:
I've seen pictures of you, young lady and YOU are NOT fat!!! True, you are not skinny, either. more like what in Germany is called, I believe, zoftig , which means you have some meat on your bones, you're not a skinny Minnie. Your boyfriend doesn't have to be worried about being stabbed by a rib-bone or hip-bone, but THAT does not mean you are fat, OK!!!

03.23.2012, 07:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah this is a good topic, thanks for bringing it up.

I'd just like to point out though, us very skinny people tend to get a lot of **** thrown at us too. I am also one of those very, very skinny people, who are just naturally like that. I've always been like this my whole life, i just have a really fast metabolism. The problem is though, people don't think of it that way. People automatically assume that since you have this weight, you must have an eating disorder, and if you ever say "I'm not really hungry" this means you must be, lol?! Another annoying thing is the way people stare at you, talk about you behind your back, and call you "frail". Also most people seem to understand that it is rude to comment things to an overweight person, people don't always ask them how much they weigh, but people find nothing rude asking skinny people how much they weigh and other rude comments like "Don't you eat anything?", "What do you eat?", "Shove a burger down your throat you anorexic".

*sigh* I just wish people would stop making such a big deal about other peoples looks. It shouldn't matter what shape or size you are.

Hehe this is already a bit long so i'll do another post later about other appearance things.

03.23.2012, 09:37 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't know how super skinny people feel. I do. My friend who is has always been called anorexic and whatnot. It hurts her feelings a lot since she's kind of like me in how she eats; not very much but a lot at times.

I know I'm not at all fat. It's just to others, I am. But to some, I'm considered one of the tinier people. My boyfriend likes to chide me and call me "pudgy" and tease me about any extra weight. It's weird, because it usually upsets me and he just laughs, but you know, I have to excuse him for that. Then again, he considers himself to be fat "by Asian standards". But he actually lost 20 pounds after moving here, rather than gaining.

03.23.2012, 09:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

groan.... after bragging about how little/lean I eat I just filled up at the Sizzler.... fish and chips, bowl of beef stew, good sized salad, a bit of choc pudding, banana w/ strawberry, a bit of berry pie with a bit of ice milk on it. I feel bloated right now...

note:
by 'bit' I mean just that. Maybe a tablespoon of the berry pie with a like amount of the ice milk...

03.23.2012, 09:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just laugh it off.

I'm 1.7m tall, or 5'6" I think, and weigh 50kg, or slightly above 100lbs. My height is quite average, but my weight, definitely not. It hasn't changed since I was 17-ish, and people say I look skinny.

But I'm not.

Granted, I don't really eat that much because of my small stomach, but I really just don't gain weight. Heaviest I've been in 56kg, and I lost those extra pounds within a few weeks.

Also, I exercise. I'm fitter than most of my friends, and got quite a bit of lean muscles. And more importantly, my fat content is really, REALLY low.

Which brings up my point.

A healthy person has no set weight he must fall into. Bone mass, muscle mass and height all contribute to the overall weight of a person. The right way of measuring a person's healthy weight is by measuring your fat percentage.

Random chart I found here shows the average amount of fat-to-weight ratio you ought to have. Mine falls in the healthy but borderline underfat; that how little fat I have (roughly 10%).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.23.2012, 10:13 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Ahh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't know how super skinny people feel. I do. My friend who is has always been called anorexic and whatnot. It hurts her feelings a lot since she's kind of like me in how she eats; not very much but a lot at times.

Oh no don't worry! I didn't think you were saying that ! Just wanted to vent !

03.23.2012, 10:19 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Henh, Roar, you're around the same height as me. Except I'm a lil bit shorter. Closer to my boyfriend's height. I'm 166 cm and he's possibly 170 cm tall. At most 172 cm. My average weight falls between 55 kg and 60 kg. My overall weight hasn't changed since I was 12, but my clothes have all gotten smaller in size.

I actually can lose weight spontaneously quick, but I can't go below 120 lbs. I'd look sickly. Considering you have some muscle, then your weight is just fine. Although you do sound kind of on the tiny side, but I think that's to be expected.

If I exercised more regularly like I do sometimes, I'd end up losing too much weight. Unfortunately, it trickles back, so it's hard. I don't mean unfortunately meaning I didn't want it back, but at least some. I'm in the healthy range of weight, in the middle of underweight to overweight. I'm the smallest in my whole family next to my grandmothers and great-grandmas who were all very petite women who had trouble gaining weight their whole lives. :B But a number do suffer from being overweight, yet that's usually more often than not attributed to post-pregnancy.

Most of the girls too that complain about their weight also have abs. But they still think they're fat. They tend to tease even those who aren't necessarily big but have a wider waist. It disturbs me, because in my mind, having a wider waist is a good thing. Most are also obsessed with being tanned while I'm all good with being a pasty creature. My boyfriend only wants to be white, but I tell him he's fine the way he is. ._.; I don't like that he'd want to change his skin colour.

03.23.2012, 10:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Yeah it is really interesting how in each different culture there are different version of the ideal body.

Here in Australia everyone wants to be tanned, and because the harsh sun here most people easily get tanned in everyday life or by sunbathing at the beach. Hehe me however, with my irish ancestry, i can't tan and i just get a few freckles. Pale skin is viewed as not that attractive here, and a lot of people think it looks ghostly and unhealthy.

Hehe but when i went to Korea, people loved my really white skin! It felt really weird lol.

03.24.2012, 01:02 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would very much like to be thin, myself. I like the idea of being angular and bony. I had a friend at school whose figure I always really envied; she was was a very healthy person, ate healthily all the time, played sports often, beautiful skin. As far as shape goes that resulted in a very sort of boyish figure really, slim hips, just sort of flat everywhere.

I probably love food and loathe exercise too much to ever be like her, so I expect I'll be remaining, as Husky would have it, zoftig. But I think I will gently endeavor to lose weight. My family seems to have a propensity for putting it on easily so we have to reasonably careful anyway.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 03.24.2012, 05:17 AM.

03.24.2012, 05:17 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ahh, I know what sort of figure you're implying Kaz. I get jealous of some of them too. One of my favourite models looks very much that way. I didn't even realize she was a girl! I thought she was a very feminine man up until yesterday, because her hands kind of looked masculine (but small). (she's not a fashion model really, she just models her own scarves and things like that. I love her personality and how she dresses)

I should also mention that my friends can also be negative influences on how I see myself. They aren't as bad as other girls, but their parents and others have influenced them that not being stick-thin is a BAD thing.

They're both very tall girls, and one is very against any weight at all on people's bodies. She judges TERRIBLY. My mom doesn't like this at all. "Don't eat this, don't eat that". "That girl always brings food to class, no wonder she's so fat". ._. She makes me feel bad about eating basically. As a result of her eating habits, she has stomach problems now. The other girl's parents are always calling her fat. They think I'm skinny though, and she's over-protective of anyone picking on my weight. On the other hand, she would want me to gain some.

As far as beauty goes, I would like to say I'm pretty. But I'm one of those girls who is usually ignored by boys. I find that Asian people are the ones who like my looks best. It's probably due to my pale skin, but they also love just about everything. My sister's friends always like to touch my hair and say things they like about my appearance. My boyfriend's friends are the same way. To them, I look like a doll. That's weird in a way. XD

03.24.2012, 10:17 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im natrually quite skinny, I doubt ill be gaining weight because i eat like a pig now and i havnt gained any. I have habits of downing drinks in one and eating burgers as quick as it suits me, but despite that i seem to retain a fairly slim if not feminime apperance.

Im not saying im unhappy with my proportions, and wouldnt want to gain any pounds. But im just saying that its not as great as its made out to be.

03.24.2012, 10:46 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am what you would call overweight, I am not fat just... podgy! I was never like this all the time, just the past few years, I have become very lazy and I eat quite a bit and I am not burning it off. The fact I have a sweet tooth and a very big liking for chocolate so much so you could call me a chocoholic doesn't help, but I have never been embarrassed with my size. I am trying to lose weight at the moment by cutting back on portion sizes and all the sugary stuff I eat, as well as the amount of coke and fizz I drink. I am also giving up chocolate for lent to try and loose some weight and to prove to my friends I can do it. (I am not religious).

But like I said above I have never been embarrassed about my body, ok I havent't got washboard abs, although I would like them. lol! I get away with my weight a bit more as well because I have the hieght to carry it off, so it doesn't tend to sit all on the same part of my body. I am about 6 foot 2 inches (haven't measured myself in a while) and so 90kg is evenly distributed across my body.

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 03.24.2012, 12:25 PM.

03.24.2012, 12:22 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am 6'4" (193 cm) and weigh about 150-60 pounds (70 kg, roughly). This body type, I've found, is generally frowned upon in men.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 03.26.2012, 03:16 AM.

03.24.2012, 04:37 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, my oldest son is 6'3" and weighs about 270-280 pounds, the last I heard... a bit tubby, lol

03.24.2012, 04:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Off topic

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
And in final admittance: yes, I'm a science geek. Engineering ftw, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I'm 1.7m tall, or 5'6"

Man!!!!! how many things more we have in common? First i love ghibli you love ghibli too. Then i found out you live in Asia i live in that too. I am a Muslim and so are you. You studied in Engineering[according to your profile date of birth i think you have already graduated], i am studying in that too.Now you are 5'6'' .man , i am 5'6'' too.

On topic
My weight varies from 58 kg to 65 kg. When i am 58 i am called a macho man on the other hand when i am 65 i am called a fat in my country. Now if roarkiller's picture is the real picture of him then i am a wider person than him. When someone judges his weight he usually forget this fact. Every ones Bone system is different ones breast is wider and ones is narrow. This thing sometimes changes a persons weight. As i like to cycle or walk long distances from my childhood so my caff muscle[leg muscle] is huge. To support that my thigh has become big too. Now maintaining those muscle needs a lot of energy so i eat as much as needed. But i do not go to Jim. Because if i go to jim then i have to maintain both the exercise and the foods at the same time which is a impossible task for a engineering student. I do not like to eat saturated fat at all. But i like oily fried things a lot. But it does not affect me very much because in my country we use a lot of spice in our food. These spice are very good for making saturated fats non-saturated and also to lessen cholesterol level to minimum. But gaining wight is very very bad. It happens when you have appetite all the time. If anyone has appetite all the time like when you watch tv you take a can or a popcorn box , when you are reading you are chewing a bar[wafer or energy bar or chocolate bar] etc. You must throw that habit. I used to have that habit and it is very bad. What i used to do is whenever i felt hungry but i should not be i would take a story book or a science book a like. And also take a big gallon of water with me.then read that book and whenever i wanted to have something in mouth i drank water. This habit made me healthier and fit.

Off topic again: roar in the gay rights thread there is something problem because all on a sudden a new page is occuring but there is no post in it. And sometimes it is said that someone has posted but he did not.
Another thing is it possible to add birthday reminder in the site if the wotlab forum software supports it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.25.2012, 11:47 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's a bit like what I'm trying to get into the habit of, Saviour. Instead of snacking I'll just drink water or tea instead, and try not to eat except at mealtimes.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 03.25.2012, 12:32 PM.

03.25.2012, 12:32 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am incredible skinny and I am not sure why. I can eat like a pig and will not gain a thing. I exercise occasionally, but not so much that I would lose all of my weight.

However, I find it difficult to complain about my anorexic appearance. I know people who struggle severely with their weight, and I am blessed to not have that problem.

Post last edited by on 03.25.2012, 08:47 PM.

03.25.2012, 02:04 PM  
husky51
The Old Guy

And in this Forum, zachary, you can deal with it yourself or let others give an honest opinion. I wasn't much with the girls when I was young, but when I see pics of myself from back then, whoa!!! I guess it was more my personality than anything. I had been raised a mpmma's boy for the early years and was somewhat of a nerd, even back then., not very athletic altho I could run and climb quite well. I seemed to attract the brainier, plainer girls and with few exceptions, I wasn't happy with that. I was 5'6" and 145 lbs when I joined the Navy at 18.

Hahaha, my first 'girlfriend' (honestly) was named "Truelove"... no kidding, that was her last name... That was in 6th grade. I took her to a couple of dances and that was that... She was cute and could cuss like a longshoreman, I know, my step-dad was one... I didn't care for the cussing too much...

I was 28 when I finally got married (don't give up hope, Roar )...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.25.2012, 04:38 PM.

03.25.2012, 04:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I weigh about 54 kg and I'm 5"4. I suppose I'm what you'd class as 'slim', but not particularly skinny. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and I would stay super tiny, but in recent months my metabolism seems to have slowed down (probably because I'm towards the end of my teen years) and I've put on weight. It isn't huge amounts, just a little on my tummy and bum, but I don't know. A little adds up to a lot in one's mind. I don't have a huge issue with my figure, but I'm not really happy with it - I'm starting to wonder if anybody ever is.

I'd like to tone up and lose a few pounds, but I don't think that would be too hard if I started eating more healthily and did more exercise (I eat terribly as it is and I do practically no exercise).

As far as my looks go I'm not really sure on them. There are days when I think I'm passable at least, but there are other days when I find myself extremely unattractive. I worry a lot about what other people think and that probably contributes to it. However, my boyfriend has always remarked that he thinks I'm gorgeous or whatever, and I feel that as long as he likes how I look I don't really care about anyone else. I'm happy just so long as I'm beautiful to him really.

(I feel a bit queasy reading how cringey that sentence is, but I swear it's meant with sincerity and the true power of puppy love!)

It is difficult though, especially for young girls, I think society places a huge expectation on us as to how we should look and dress so as to be attractive and when we don't conform to those ideals we feel ourselves to have failed somehow. At least that's how I've always percieved it.

03.25.2012, 05:02 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks