QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Gay Rights
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Gay Rights Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Gay RightsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So speaking of rights, Homosexual people are also incredibly marginalized. If you've been paying attention to what's going on in Liberia you'll know what I mean.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar...w-homosexuality

And just... it makes me so angry that someone who would get a Nobel prize for campaigning women's rights would say something like "We've got certain traditional values in our society that we would like to preserve."

WTH.

Post last edited by fenkashi on 03.19.2012, 04:34 PM.

03.19.2012, 04:34 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah gay rights have a long way to go as well.... like being killed because of something you naturally are, by law. Just terrible!

03.19.2012, 07:45 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, this topic can get me so angry sometimes. The treatment of gays, and in fact the entire LGBT community, in some places is just... sickening. I mean, even in this country there's a great furor over gay marriage and I just... I don't understand why. What difference does it make to your life if the two guys next door get married? What business is it of yours? Gah. )<

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 03.20.2012, 04:07 AM.

03.20.2012, 04:07 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First of all i want to say i will not take part in the unscientific issue of gay and lesbian . So do not miss me

i am just joking [ i know to most of you i am annoying so you will not miss me][ and about the law that law is not correct but not wrong too]

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.20.2012, 06:28 AM.

03.20.2012, 06:20 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
What difference does it make to your life if the two guys next door get married? What business is it of yours? Gah. )<

Kazegami you do not try to understand that in society everything matters to everybody. If a guy who stole something says to a judge that i stole from that guy what difference does it make to your life? will the judge take that point? he will not because that makes a difference in his life. if he allows a thief that he can steal and the affected person and the thief can sort things out between themselves then he is actually allowing theft. So never say that something you do that does not make a difference in society. if you want to do things differently and also that affects the structures of society then you have to do that going outside of society.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.20.2012, 06:38 AM.

03.20.2012, 06:37 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:
What difference does it make to your life if the two guys next door get married? What business is it of yours? Gah. )<

Kazegami you do not try to understand that in society everything matters to everybody. If a guy who stole something says to a judge that i stole from that guy what difference does it make to your life? will the judge take that point? he will not because that makes a difference in his life. if he allows a thief that he can steal and the affected person and the thief can sort things out between themselves then he is actually allowing theft. So never say that something you do that does not make a difference in society. if you want to do things differently and also that affects the structures of society then you have to do that going outside of society.

Being gay is not a crime.

My Anime List

03.20.2012, 06:39 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:

I never said that that is a crime [i do not know the decision of my religion in this matter]

I said it matters to the society if someone is gay or lesbian. [ now if you ask me how does that matter i will explain, but that is not this thread is about]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.20.2012, 10:02 AM.

03.20.2012, 10:02 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
quote:

I never said that that is a crime [i do not know the decision of my religion in this matter]

I said it matters to the society if someone is gay or lesbian. [ now if you ask me how does that matter i will explain, but that is not this thread is about]

Then don't compare it to one.

I don't see what your sexuality should matter to your next door neighbor.

My Anime List

03.20.2012, 10:06 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:

It is not my sexuality that matters it matters the society as that is unscientific. [ ask if you want explanation, because that is irrelevant to the thread]

03.20.2012, 10:49 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
quote:

It is not my sexuality that matters it matters the society as that is unscientific. [ ask if you want explanation, because that is irrelevant to the thread]

It is not particularly irrelevant to the thread at all. You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say it matters to society whether someone is gay or lesbian and then say that sexuality doesn't matter. Explain yourself, please.

My Anime List

03.20.2012, 10:52 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What he means, kaz, is that you should look beyond the 'I' and look at the 'we'.

Society in general are not comfortable with it. Lawmakers need to take this into account.

So yes, it matters to someone out there, even if you are not. Your opinion is one of many, and unfortunately for you, there are more against it than for it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.20.2012, 11:00 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As long as gays and lesbians aren’t making a speckle of themselves in public just for shock value (like in parades…), then they don’t bother me. Those who do obscene things in public make people uncomfortable (to say the least) and probably set thing back.
Having said that- gays and lesbians should have the same rights as every human being. There are all sorts of reasons why people are gay, including people that seem to be born that way.
In my opinion, the subject of gay and lesbian rights is another ridiculous religious argument.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

03.20.2012, 11:35 AM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mokiepoet
As long as gays and lesbians aren’t making a speckle of themselves in public just for shock value (like in parades…), then they don’t bother me. Those who do obscene things in public make people uncomfortable (to say the least) and probably set thing back.

This.

i don't have any problem with people being gay, its the small minority of gay's and lesbians that feel the need to make their sexuality the most important part of their identity that annoy me, and most other people by the looks of things.

03.20.2012, 11:46 AM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just read the article (was in school earlier).

I believe many people missed reading thispart:

quote:
Gongloe also said the country was still not ready for a debate on gay rights. "Liberians need public education on the issue. Our society is not at that point yet to have a civil conversation on the issue," he said.
The main difference between your society and theirs, and why such liberal change cannot, and should not, happen yet.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.20.2012, 12:35 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is one of the things I find hard to understand about society - society now and as it has been in a past.

Sexual activity (though that is not what it amounts to in the slightest) between two consenting adults which enriches both of their lives does not seem to me to be wrong in any sense of the word.

Punishing somebody for doing something that harms nobody is inherently wrong. Countries like Liberia which have these kind of laws disgust me - it probably isn't politically correct to say that, but I believe in human rights not heterosexuals-only rights. What that government is doing is wrong. Maybe it is an ingrained part of their society but that doesn't make it any less backward and barbaric.

Just because you are homosexual, because you are attracted to and love a member of the same sex, doesn't make you any less human.

Homosexuality exists in thousands of animal species, how damn unnatural can it be?

03.20.2012, 12:44 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm fine with them being given these rights. I know for a fact I'm 120% hetero, and don't feel the slightest bit undermined.

Those who feel undermined by giving homosexuals the same rights as heterosexuals are the most insecure individuals ever.

I know countless straight individuals who are more than willing to make a spectacle as well. Snogging in the halls of my campus, pretty much shagging each other, for a sensible man with no girlfriend it's an affront. So I think the main issue here is the spectacle and not the sexuality.

BTW, I'm from a state which recently ruled an anti-homosexual law unconstitutional, yet in my county they supported it in force (I'm a liberal in a sea of conservatives, pretty much) and whined about it being repealed.

Moral of the story: Grow up, get a life, and if one individual's actions make you feel undermined...you still have much to learn.

03.20.2012, 02:23 PM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by AmtrakDesertWindrider
I know countless straight individuals who are more than willing to make a spectacle as well. Snogging in the halls of my campus, pretty much shagging each other, for a sensible man with no girlfriend it's an affront. So I think the main issue here is the spectacle and not the sexuality.

I was just going to make this point! I think there are a lot of people who, if they looked at this from this angle, would realise that homosexuality itself is perfectly alright.

03.20.2012, 02:26 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me, to see a man kiss a woman is nothing, but to see a man kiss a man is unusual enough to seem odd to me, even though I kiss my grown sons on the lips and my son-in-law kisses me as well.

I believe that a gay man or woman should have the same rights as any other man or woman. No exceptions, no conditions, nothing that is any different from that given to the rest of mankind. I haven't known any gay couples, but I have known a lot of gays, both male and female. One of my daughters male friends from school, who happened to be gay, lived with us for 6 months. He was HIV positive, but my family had no problem with this young man's life. We exercised reasonable precautions and life went on. The last I heard of this man was that he was dancing in a gay revue in Las Vegas. I wish him well.

I am heterosexual myself and I am quite happy with the way I am, without having to deal with the problems that gays are having with society.

I support gay rights as I would women's rights and men's rights and grey rights.

03.20.2012, 06:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Homosexuality is completely natural. Why would someone choose to be something which can cause so much pain to them even in a more liberal society.

I think the main issue is that people find it weird, and people don't like weird/different things. Its okay to see a man and a woman kiss, that is normal, but a woman and a woman kissing, oh no!

Anyway, even if a society believes that gays should not have rights, that doesn't mean its okay for them to be repressed within that society. Its the society who should change, not the gays.

03.20.2012, 08:59 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not even "weird" in every society. It was the norm in ancient Greece for men.

03.21.2012, 12:11 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks