QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Appearance and Weight
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Appearance and Weight Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
The UK. Why do you ask?

Oh, it was the post about Stones, Pounds and Kg's, and you said 'people here use stones', just wondered that was all. lol

03.28.2012, 04:33 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We don't use kgs in Canada I don't think, the only reason I know how to convert from kgs to lbs is just from being online. haha I know a bit about stones. Most use lbs here.

Ah, Kaz, the scars.. I know a lot of girls who have them and stretch marks. I have some pretty bad stretchmarks on the backs of my legs that can be a bit embarrassing. :B I believe some people I know get bullied if they have them, or thought to be fat. When I see stretch marks, my first immediate thought is usually growing. haha

I have a scar on my toe but I'm fine with showing it. My mom makes a big deal about any scars I might have.

Something else girls are generally worried about would be bruises. I get bruises easily. henh But they all make it sound like bruises will kill them. Because I bruise often, they think I'm abused..

03.28.2012, 10:18 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is that 'abused' or 'abruised'.... lol

I know, weird thinking.... lol

just attrib(r)ute it to age...

==================================

03.28.2012, 12:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
it is a universal truth that women can not move as fast as man.

Could you back that up with solid statistical evidence, bro?

(BTW, if we're playing the "vague game" here, I've found some exceptions to your 'truth'.)

03.28.2012, 02:46 PM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by AmtrakDesertWindrider
quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
it is a universal truth that women can not move as fast as man.

Could you back that up with solid statistical evidence, bro?

(BTW, if we're playing the "vague game" here, I've found some exceptions to your 'truth'.)

World record for male 100 meter sprint: 9.58 seconds
World record for female 100 meter sprint: 10.49 seconds

i know the context may be different, but still, some solid statistical evidence that men do in fact move faster than women

Edit: Had to come back for seconds..... Pun intended

Post last edited by captain george on 03.28.2012, 06:32 PM.

03.28.2012, 06:32 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We're supposed to use metric officially in Canada. All the government stuff is done in metric. But everyone sort of muddles it up. So if you go get your license and they ask you your weight, you could give it in lbds and they'd just convert for you.

As for appearance and weight... I'm pretty average, 115lb or 52 kg. Not a stick, not overweight. For weight, I'm happy as long as I feel fit. I have times when I am eating badly and not exercising enough when I just feel fat... easiest fix is eating better and working out more. ^^ The process is cyclical unfortunately because I get busy/lazy.

Appearance wise, I feel like I'm with most people in that regard... feel pretty some days, consider plastic surgery (not actually) others.

But speaking of plastic surgery, I guess this is a good place to talk about it. It's becoming pretty common these days. It's not something I would ever do... but some people feel like they need to have it done.

I've got mixed feelings about it. I think anyone should be able to do as they please with their body. But, on the other hand, the motivations for plastic surgery just really turn me off... and the subtle or not-so-subtle propagation of racism involved with plastic surgeries is discomfiting. Most of the stuff I've read regarding that is about Asian women wanting to look more Caucasian.

Post last edited by fenkashi on 03.28.2012, 07:00 PM.

03.28.2012, 06:42 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, interesting. D: See, we were supposed to learn all that in elementary school, both lbs and kgs, but... they didn't teach it to us very well. ^^;; So we just use lbs here.

I think I'm 56 to 60 kg.. I feel heavier than most girls on here. >.< You're all tinier in size compared to me.

I'm not really for plastic surgery, but if someone wants it, they should go for it rather than be unhappy. Or it could backfire, hehehe.. I know a lot of Asian girls and women who would like to look more Caucasian. Even my boyfriend does. It disturbs me whenever he wants to buy a whitening toner to use on his face. o.e He hates being tan. And he always says what ugly eyes or nose he has. A lot of them complain about those two things most.

But their noses are so cute, like buttons. o.o

03.28.2012, 06:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Hey, Roar or Saviour, why do so many women from Asia want to go into medical careers and engineering careers for men? I've been noticing this a lot. My boyfriend was pressured into going into computer engineering by his friends, but he wants to go be a nurse now that he's moved here. But a lot of his female friends and my sister's friends too all mostly want to be nurses (which is hard here, because there are very few positions for nurses right now).
I took engineering cuz I wanna change the world. And I'm a logician by nature.

And uh, I'm damn good at math? Being a teacher's a good plan B.

On the large percentage, it's probably because there's a very high demand for both, or maybe it's just because these guys get REALLY fat pay cheques

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.01.2012, 11:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Hey, Roar or Saviour, why do so many women from Asia want to go into medical careers and engineering careers for men? I've been noticing this a lot. My boyfriend was pressured into going into computer engineering by his friends, but he wants to go be a nurse now that he's moved here. But a lot of his female friends and my sister's friends too all mostly want to be nurses (which is hard here, because there are very few positions for nurses right now).
I took engineering cuz I wanna change the world. And I'm a logician by nature.

And uh, I'm damn good at math? Being a teacher's a good plan B.

On the large percentage, it's probably because there's a very high demand for both, or maybe it's just because these guys get REALLY fat pay cheques

Makes a lot of sense. XD It's just that we don't see so many people here who go into those types of jobs. But the demand here is pretty different. Thanks. It's funny, he would've wound up with a job he didn't like and he hates math. Not that he isn't good at math (he's better at helping out people and being teacher-like).

If he ever wanted to move back to his country and take me with him, I'm pretty down with that. As long as my university debt is all paid up for. :B His sister wants to go to school there for university but her degree would be worthless when she comes back here.

To be kind of on topic, being surrounded by his friends, I realize I'm a freakin' giant. One of the girls is taller than me, but she's the only one (and we're almost the same height). A lot of the Filipinas have pretty long hair, so no wonder he's always complained my hair should be longer.

It's funny how much attention I get from all of them but never from other people. But I like being called 'Miss'. The younger guys were calling me that and my name, or my boyfriend's, and teasing him and shaking my hand and not letting go. Sometimes they try and make him jealous a little.

I don't know what makes them all react differently to me. I mean sure, they're not white, but they're surrounded by white people. But they basically treat me like a doll. I can understand sometimes what they're talking about too. There's a lot of teasing. XD They always tease my boyfriend and ask when we're going to get married (it started as soon as I turned 1.

04.01.2012, 07:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
HelloKittyCat
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.16.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HelloKittyCat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not overly fussed about my weight, I just try and stay withing acceptable perameters, which for my height is about between 9 stone and 9 stone 2 pounds. My mother is alway teasing me about my weight which doesn't help as far as self-esteem goes, but I never got why so many girls get so hung up about their weight. It seems like such a waste of time and effort.
As far as apearance is concerned however, I was never very confident because I always feel that people are staring at me because of my hair which is very bright blonde and looks dyed, but isn't I get asked about it a lot and it annoys me. I also have webbed toes (the hair and feet are both lovely genetic gifts from my dad's side of the family) which all my less considerate tell me is disgusting every time I go swimming with them. I try not be so self-consious about how I look but it's difficult in the messed up world we live in.
I think that magazines containing beautiful, computer-messed-with women should be banned because it sets a bad example for people and makes them want to be like people that aren't real. Real women aren't like that.

04.03.2012, 05:22 PM HelloKittyCat is offline   Profile for HelloKittyCat Add HelloKittyCat to your buddy list
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by HelloKittyCat
...I never got why so many girls get so hung up about their weight. It seems like such a waste of time and effort.

Hey, I pretty much agree. People make too big a fuss of it here where I'm from (SoCal, which is so full of obnoxious preppies it makes me sick to my stomach) that I've pretty much tuned it out of my life.

quote:
As far as apearance is concerned however, I was never very confident because I always feel that people are staring at me...

I don't give a flyin' feather about appearance myself...besides, a few spots, stray hairs, an' such never hurt anyone.

quote:
I try not be so self-consious about how I look but it's difficult in the messed up world we live in.

FINALLY! Someone agrees with me!
I mean, really, when someone's form is more relevant than their personality, that's quite a loss.

quote:
I think that magazines containing beautiful, computer-messed-with women should be banned because it sets a bad example for people and makes them want to be like people that aren't real. Real women aren't like that.

That's their aim--to make everyone feel bad, thus generating sales for products which civilization doesn't really need...basically, making money by prodding at every little flaw and anomally you get in society.

I'd bet if you put forth legislature banning edited pictures, you'd get immense amounts of corporate-interest groups from the cosmetics industry hollering and screaming to have it voted down.

ADW: I agree with the idea though, I really don't see what bearing appearance and random "paramaters" such as weight have...except for making society much, much more vacuous.

04.03.2012, 05:54 PM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

My aunt on my dad's side has webbed toes (think it's a recessive gene). She's always been conscious of them and could never wear flip-flops. We think they're just dandy.

04.03.2012, 05:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is a shame that some people are so intolerant of others for what THEY perceive to be defects.

btw, HelloKittyCat, welcome to the Dragon Cave. I clicked your egg, but it doesn't do any good unless you go to your account and change your setting to 'Accept help from others' (or something like that) enjoy...

04.03.2012, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't imagine why people would stare at bright blonde hair. It's not exactly unusual to see.

I heard recently that a clothing company called H&M were, in their catalogues I think, just editing model's faces onto manikins because apparently their clothes looked better on them. I think when your clothes look better on dolls than on real people, it's time to rethink your designs...

I wouldn't call wanting to look attractive a waste of time at all, personally. The better you can make yourself feel about your appearance the more confident and happy you'll be. People will never stop judging on appearance. It would be nice, sometimes, if they did, but they won't. Maybe not so much won't, but can't. It's not controllable really. The moment you set eyes on someone your mind is working to try to work them out based on what you see. Within seconds you've made some judgements, an initial reaction has taken place; maybe you like them or don't like them, maybe they scare you. I believe that whatever we think is right or not, looks do matter.

My Anime List

04.03.2012, 07:07 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How people get so worried about being larger than the super skinny *and probuly unhealthy* super models does get me down.

As i've said before im natrually quite slim, and im not botherd. But how people get so, "Oh my god, i have to look like so and so because so and so is in this year" or some rubbish like that, it really does show how we are stuck in a everlasting cycle. That on the whole is not good for us.

I agree with the claim, its not a bad thing to look good. And yes it does increase your self confidence and all that jargon, but how people get so upset, even depressed over it does really worry me.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 04.03.2012, 07:14 PM.

04.03.2012, 07:12 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It upset me how an article I read about an actress or whoever she is, reality tv show person-whatever, and how she was so severely obsessed with her weight. There were bikini photos of her and she found them horrendous, but she still looked pretty happy in them.

But people's reactions were all "she's so fat, she should lose weight, there's no way she's that size. So lazy.".

It upset me today that my friends seem to assume I'll gain a bunch of weight at university (that's not happening unless they allow me to eat the entire tubs of weird flavoured ice cream I spotted in the freezer) and become ugly from stress. Gee, that's a nice thing to tell your only friend who is going. I'm the only one from my school going there. I'm not going to know a single person. Then they rant how the roommate might be mean and cause hell... They aren't helping me at all.

At most, I'm likely to lose too much weight, because my diet is going to be really restricted. I have to be extremely wise with my money. I'm terrified enough that there won't be enough food that I can eat (but they have plenty of salads and fresh fruit options).

04.03.2012, 08:37 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The bigger problem with having a restricted allowance is that unhealthy food tend to cost less than healthy food.

You just need to compare a bottle of coke and a bottle of milk to know what I mean.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.03.2012, 11:06 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The bigger problem with having a restricted allowance is that unhealthy food tend to cost less than healthy food.

You just need to compare a bottle of coke and a bottle of milk to know what I mean.

I can't drink either. I don't like pop at all and milk upsets my stomach unless it's organic. But I get what you mean. My mother and I have been planning out groceries for years now and how to eliminate anthing junky. I don't really like junk food and I'm reluctant to buy it. I like chocolate, but when I have to buy it with my own money... I never want to pay for it.

But we've found how if you drop a lot of the unhealthy foods and bought healthy, it really wasn't that much more expensive. But the cost of food here is insane. That's why most of us go to America to buy food (I can't since I couldn't eat much of the food in the grocery store my parents go to except corn..). I just hope I can stay healthy.

04.04.2012, 05:57 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Hiku
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.16.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hiku Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

I also hate how young i look. I know it might benefit me later on life, but i hate the way people treat me, it feels so demeaning. I am 19, but people treat me like a 12 year old because well that's how i look.

I kind of understand what you feel there. I have the same problem about looking younger than I am. A family friend came over once and she thought I was a high school student (I don't know whether to be happy or mad ) and another time this guy is actually younger than me and he thought he was older and acted like the 'older brother'.. And the awkward moment when you tell him that, um… I'm actually older.

However, I don't think its all that bad in some cases. I take the bus and the driver never asks for my ID when I use a concession card, it saves a lot of energy of having to dig for my student ID from the depths of my bag. However, in some cases, yes, it does get irritating.

Also, I agree with Foreignfilmfreak, I don't really get why some girls act like its the end of the world when they get a slight scar on their finger from a cut... I never minded getting minor scars, I think it’s just a minor process in life. From the scars you get when you trip, fall over from a bike ride when you are young to the random ones you suddenly find sometimes not knowing how the hell you got them.

04.04.2012, 10:36 PM Hiku is offline   Profile for Hiku Add Hiku to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Peer pressure. Desire to look good. That kind of thing.

Of course, there's also the mystery of why girls, after they get married, balloon up so fast.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.05.2012, 01:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks