QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Human Beans?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Human Beans? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Human Beans?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got my Arietty Blue-Ray last Thursday at Tsutaya here in Japan. I've never seen it outside of a third-world sub, but the English dub has an annoying mistake totally uncalled-for in a Ghibli product: the subbers consistently used the term "human bean" instead of "human being."

06.19.2011, 11:58 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know in the books the Borrowers pronounce 'human beings' as 'human beans'.

So the mispronunciation wasn't translated into Japanese? But the subbers still used the term from the book?

That is odd.

06.20.2011, 12:18 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

or just trying to keep somewhat true to the original tale... Might have been left that way on purpose...

06.20.2011, 03:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sure it was on purpose...it's just weird that they didn't play with the Japanese at all to sort of explain the 'beans'. It'll seem like a bizarre and consistent typo to people who aren't familiar with the books. xP

Post last edited by fenkashi on 06.20.2011, 04:08 AM.

06.20.2011, 04:07 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm actually glad to hear that. That's how it was spelled in the books, so I'm glad they kept it that way in the film. But I also agree with fenkashi. People who aren't familiar with the books are going to be pretty confused.

06.20.2011, 02:21 PM  
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

unfortunately, many people will probably think it is just another foriegn language/English mispelling...

I lnow that we all have seen it at one time or another...

06.20.2011, 11:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How is it explained in the books, by the way? Obviously I've not seen Arietty (I could've recently but I'm a bit short on money and thought it might be a bit extravagant ) but does it seem weirder than it does in the books? Is is really that confusing?

06.21.2011, 07:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
How is it explained in the books, by the way? Obviously I've not seen Arietty (I could've recently but I'm a bit short on money and thought it might be a bit extravagant ) but does it seem weirder than it does in the books? Is is really that confusing?

TO THE LIBRARY!!!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.23.2011, 10:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh i feel silly for laughing then lol.

03.06.2012, 02:51 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Belated explanation is in order.

The idea is that the Borrowers are creatures who borrow everything from humans, even words; however, because of their lack of education, they make mistakes that are carried over through the generations.

"Human beans" is an example of a mishearing of the term "human beings", probably because the word 'bean' is heard far more often than 'beings', hence the mistake. It's a similar play with their names, like Homily (homely, presumably) and Spiller, or his mother often said, "that dreadful spiller", hence his name (his birth name is unknown).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.06.2012, 11:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Yes, I'm going to the library today anyway, and so... "The Borrowers" will be on my list... I feel silly going into the childrens section, but that is where I found 'Coraline'... lol Have to get on my knees to read some of the books on the shelves... lol

And I'm SHORT!!!

03.06.2012, 12:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks