QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki's Big Secret
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Miyazaki's Big Secret Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Miyazaki's Big SecretPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just read a really great article about a couple of Norwegian animators who got a chance to meet Miyazaki back in 2009 (you can read it here, if you know Norwegian:
http://znett.com/2009/02/hvordan-jeg-traff-hayao-miyazaki/
)

I'll translate the last paragraph, which I thought was really interesting:

"It's hard to say how much time we spent together with Hayao Miyazaki in his Studio Ghibli. Maybe a month, maybe an hour. But finally it was over and we got out again. It was still light out, but the moon was already visible. Even Hai (their guide), who had stoically translated for us, came with us. She gave us gifts, something edible. She said: 'Miyazaki-san likes you. He told me to show you something, his Big Secret. But you must promise not to talk about it to anyone.' We swore to never tell.

We followed Even Hai around a corner, down a small street, where we could see Miyazaki's house deep within the garden. We saw the tree, we saw the pond, we saw a silver moon in the water and we saw Miyazaki's Big Secret. We sat on a stonebench and ate our gifts, and looked at it.

Then we went home."

So, what do you think Miyazaki's Big Secret is?

Post last edited by O-Jay88 on 05.08.2012, 05:16 PM.

05.08.2012, 05:15 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow thats crazy/very interesting. I don't have any good ideas of what it could be though.... what about a statue?

05.08.2012, 08:59 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe... it's an actual LAPUTIAN! OHNOZ!!!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.08.2012, 10:28 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

haha maybe. or maybe he has osama bin laden!

05.09.2012, 12:15 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its crazy enough to be true.

Perhaps Miyazaki has a big tree in his garden with a Totoro living in it and the tree spirit wasn't an invention of his imagination.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.09.2012, 12:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A million monkeys on a million typewriters write his story's for him Shakespeare style

05.09.2012, 07:23 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In a more realistic sense it could be a statue carved to depict his favourite scene from his films!! I thInk this would be quite
Cool even if it is wrong!

07.28.2012, 07:46 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is a really cool article.
I think the secret is...
Er...
A clicky head.

Check out my music:

07.29.2012, 12:21 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Tea Master Tall
This is a really cool article.
I think the secret is...
Er...
A clicky head.

Are referring to a Kodama???

I saw a pic of a statue of Totoro (abt 6ft) near a bus stop... I wonder if that is the secret and it was placed in his yard...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.29.2012, 04:46 AM.

07.29.2012, 04:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes indeed. Everyone in my family has just called them clicky heads, lol.

Check out my music:

07.29.2012, 12:48 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it is a miniature Laputa Castle Garden

the garden was itself the big secret

cause almost every ghibli piece is in ghibli museum like totoro ,laputian robot, howls castle, a cube from the cube room etc etc.

the only possible thing that could be built and also be very very different to be called a secret should i mean must be the garden. I am writing a review on Laputa will publish it tomorrow you will understand it even more easily then.

But of-course everything i say is purely guessed but guessed by facts hehehe.

edit: having no previous experience of writing a full movie review i have understood it is a mammoth task if you want to write it thoroughly you have to wait.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.05.2012, 04:34 PM.

08.01.2012, 02:53 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

BUT!!! be sure that you don't give anything away for the people who may not have seen the film... That's what make it so hard to review a movie, IMO...

08.05.2012, 04:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
JECulbreath
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.07.12
  My guess.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JECulbreath Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Why the Silver Moon dances.

The cool stone of the bench offered a comfort he had not expected, and while adding a place for contemplation to the tranquil scene of cherry blossom trees scattered around a large pond seemed appropriate there was a small part of him that still wondered what purpose this all served.

Then he looked at the Daifuku and remembered the assistant’s cryptic final words.

“Like a peach tree hidden in the woods, a secret may yield the sweetest fruit to those willing to keep silent.”

He took a bite, smiled softly, savored the sweet mixture sugar and fruit paste and something that sparkled on the tongue.

Which, when he thought about it, seemed a very odd way of describing the taste.

Each bite, however, made the taste ‘sparkle’ more and as he lost himself in the flavored fruit and memories of an hour’s meeting the large pond before him and the great moon reflected on it’s still waters began to sparkle as well.

It began as all mysteries do, with little preamble or preparation, and in mere moments the scene before him shifted subtly, a warm wind caressed his face and the scent of cherry blossoms filled his senses.

The swirl of flower petals drew his eye to them before they appeared, the feminine and the masculine forms shimming like moonlight on the rippling waters as they bowed then moved in harmony together.

A fight, a dance, a courtship most pure?

Could the light of moon and stars mingle like lovers? War like bitter foes?

The little spirits were so small and sleek of movement that each motion could mean a hundred things.

A slap, a tender caress of the cheek?

Breathing harder and faster then was healthy he forced himself to slow down, to breathe, to take another bite.

And the dance grew.

A dozen now, a hundred, males and females dancing in unity across the rippling pond as the warm wind carried some distant song to his ears. The haunting melody, he knew in a rare moment of insight, would never truly be heard and never truly forgotten.

Much like the little spirits in their dance across the waters, much like the sweet treat being shared.

Another bite and the song faded, the dancers dimmed like dying stars until only the two remained.

Their sorrow was like a song he couldn’t get out of his head and while he thought it might in some way shame him, he could not hold back his tears.

They kissed like parting lovers and melted into the smallest waves.

It took him a moment to shake it all off, then he took another bite and gathered his things.

The road home might still hold other mysteries.

Post last edited by JECulbreath on 08.07.2012, 03:28 PM.

08.07.2012, 03:23 PM JECulbreath is offline   Profile for JECulbreath Add JECulbreath to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks