QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What do you remember of your childhood from ghibli movies
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What do you remember of your childhood from ghibli movies » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  What do you remember of your childhood from ghibli moviesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Declaimer:Contains spoilers

When i saw Kiki's delivery service and saw the crows attacked kiki i remembered a experience from my childhood. When i was young reading in class 2 [age probably 7-8]. Where we lived then was a big house, there were 5 families living in that compound and we had a lot of chickens[that was not a farmhouse, in my country we raise chickens as a hobby, like Europeans and Americans have cats or dogs as pets]

One day i was playing in the compound after coming from school. After sometime a big cock came out of nowhere ('')[you can imagine it by comparing my height and it's. it was at least 2 feet and i was 3.5 feet] so after seeing the cock i was a little bit afraid and thought that is a scary cock('') .But i knew most of the chicken will run if you run-after them. I thought the same thing will happen to that cock too(''). BUT it was not frightened at all. In stead it stared at me ('') .Started shouting cockkororkoo and attacked me .Man that was a fight to remember. i ran left it would go to left , if i had gone to right it would go to right. I jumped it jumped too. then it started biting me .Then i shouted ('') , everyone was having fun before i shouted , when i shouted they came and rescued me .Can you believe that i was rescued from a cock . I almost forgot the incident. i wish i had a video .But cameras on mobiles were not available back then. However enjoy the story.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.11.2012, 05:35 AM.

03.09.2012, 05:49 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No childhood experience, just remembering what it was like when I was in Japan back in 1966-67 from "Totoro" and others...

03.09.2012, 01:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't see my first Ghibli film until I was 17, so I don't have any childhood memories. I grew up with Lion King and Pixar.

03.09.2012, 01:47 PM  
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zacharykrodel
I didn't see my first Ghibli film until I was 17, so I don't have any childhood memories. I grew up with Lion King and Pixar.

i did not saw any ghibli movies before 1 month. In My childhood i mostly watched disney cartoons and cartoon network . What i meant was, is there any incident of your life that you remember from a situation of a ghibli movie.

[i am a very very bad english writer .everybody misunderstands me'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''']

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

03.09.2012, 02:36 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha
don't worry too much about it, saviour, we understand most of what you are trying to say... It would be like me trying to use Bangla, of which I know nothing... lol

03.09.2012, 04:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Funny enough saviour the same part of Kiki also reminded me of my several run ins with birds!!

The first involved me at age 5 or 6 in London with my nan at a place called St James' park, well I was feeding the ducks and I decided to feed a goose out of my hand, for the life of me I don't know why. Anyway only being 5 or 6 and my nan reluctant in telling me how to do it I did it wrong and it bit my finger and wouldn't let go.

So I tried to pull it away but it pulled back even harder, so their was me in the middle of a tourist filled park in the middle of london playing a game of tug of war with a flaming goose!! o.0 thinking back now it is rather a funny story.

My second run in happened at the same park 3 or 4 years later, we had just finished feeding the birds this time and me and my nan had just sat down to eat our lunch on the bench. Well on the bench next to ours were a couple of Japanese tourists feeding a load of pidgeons with bread, of course once the bread was all gone they got up and walked away, so what do the pidgeons do, they turn to me and my nan as we are sat eating sandwiches and start to bother us. Well after a few minutes we managed to shoo them away and got them to leave us alone. When seconds later a kamikaze pidgeon come out of nowhere and attacked me. It was pecking my head and flapping it's wings and scratching me, my nan was throwing bits of bread from her sandwhich to try and get it off me but it wasn't working so she threw half of her sandwhich and the pidgeon gave in and started attacking half the sandwhich. It was an experience I do not wish to go through again ever. It was also the only time in my life that I disliked the Japanese.

I don't think the birds of St James' park like me all that much!! LOL!! They are hilariously funny stories though come to think of it!!

03.09.2012, 06:41 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Chihiro's early behaviour kinda reflected my "inner" behaviour when I moved house in 1997.

I didn't display any displeasure per se, nor was I that against it, but I was in love at the time and moving away meant not seeing her almost ever again. So yeah, I was pretty bummed.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.11.2012, 10:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
adelinamoon97
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.16.12
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by adelinamoon97 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i still remember when im 5 years old i kick my sister because she disturbing me when im watching princess mononoke....

03.17.2012, 02:42 AM adelinamoon97 is offline   Profile for adelinamoon97 Add adelinamoon97 to your buddy list
Hiku
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.16.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hiku Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I watched the part when it rained in Totoro with all the water puddles and the noise and pattern the water made when it splashed onto the ground reminded me of when I was around 5-6 watching the rain fall onto the concrete path and the ripples they made with my face glued to the window. =E I guess I was waiting for the sun to come out again

03.17.2012, 07:25 AM Hiku is offline   Profile for Hiku Add Hiku to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel that Chihiro's reactions in Spirited Away, could really reflect a child's inner world as they grow up.

Also in Only Yesterday, when the heroine remembers her young self, that reminds me of myself...the little girl in this one is so cute :-)

Edit: Also, I have to add Ponyo here. Both the little boy and the little girl

Post last edited by jina445 on 03.17.2012, 11:04 AM.

03.17.2012, 10:51 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Chihiro's early behaviour kinda reflected my "inner" behaviour when I moved house in 1997.

I didn't display any displeasure per se, nor was I that against it, but I was in love at the time and moving away meant not seeing her almost ever again. So yeah, I was pretty bummed.

I had the same thing happen when I was in high school. I had a serious relationship with a girl and then we moved clear across the country... totally lost track of her, so I guess that it wasn't as serious as I thought...

03.17.2012, 01:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I remember walking 2 miles round trip in the early 90’s one summer with my little brother to the local Blockbuster Video to rent a movie (VHS) . My brother picked out Nausicaa Valley of the Wind. I didn’t think I would like it and in all honesty, the 1st time I saw it, I didn’t. But it perked my interests in Japanese animation in general. When I was older I rediscovered Nausicaa, liked it and started looking up other Miyazaki and Ghibli films. I own 14 Ghibli movies on DVD- so far there is only 1 Ghibli movie I haven’t liked.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

04.02.2012, 05:47 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@MokiePoet...
Out of curiousity, which one was that???

04.02.2012, 05:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pom Poko. Maybe it's just a cultural gap, but it's not my cup of tea (I don't think?). I did not finish it w/ the little ones around, maybe I'll watch it by myself sometime. I had read that it is from a Japanese folktale. Anyone know if thats true?

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

04.02.2012, 07:26 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dont really see my past, more of the future.

04.02.2012, 07:58 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Mokiepoet
Pom Poko. Maybe it's just a cultural gap, but it's not my cup of tea (I don't think?). I did not finish it w/ the little ones around, maybe I'll watch it by myself sometime. I had read that it is from a Japanese folktale. Anyone know if thats true?

I believe so, but if dballred is around he would be more apt to know, IMO...

04.03.2012, 04:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
darenkolson
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.09.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by darenkolson Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't have any childhood memories from the ghibli movies, as when i first saw it i was 16..

04.09.2012, 06:16 AM darenkolson is offline   Profile for darenkolson Add darenkolson to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks