QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - will Spirited Away have part 2
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » will Spirited Away have part 2 » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Another from 'down under'...

Welcome to the Tavern, jenandy...
We hope that you enjoy your stay...

06.05.2013, 11:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
markmaddon86
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.07.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by markmaddon86 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I personally like the film, but to have a direct sequel would spoil the fun for us fans to create our own fan fic. But hooray if they do anyway.

06.07.2013, 07:54 PM markmaddon86 is offline   Profile for markmaddon86 Add markmaddon86 to your buddy list Homepage of markmaddon86
Miyako
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.01.13
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyako Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wellcome to the Tavern jenandy and markmaddon86.We all enjoy here and
I think you guyes will also have funn.

06.11.2013, 01:21 PM Miyako is offline   Profile for Miyako Add Miyako to your buddy list
la-yue
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.25.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by la-yue Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The ghibli movies are excellent and some of them are fine as they are. Some i think would have great sequels, but Hayao Miyazaki doesn't like carrying on with the past, he wants to follow the future and won't do sequels. Thats what i read the other day.

I want to live in a Studio Ghibli creation.

06.28.2013, 10:02 PM la-yue is offline   Profile for la-yue Add la-yue to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it's part of the magic, I saw this film tonight and I love it. Such an amazing film, glad I paid the £12 to get it on DVD.

07.13.2013, 07:51 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only appropriate place to post this I guess. My personal problem with not having sequels is that you get so attached to the characters that it's disappointing to say bye to them. At the end of each movie I get spoiled I guess. Almost forget it's just a movie

07.15.2013, 02:02 AM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I get that as well. It's almost like depersonalization really, everyone loves the characters and wants more. Thinking about it more now, I kind of want a sequel.

07.15.2013, 03:40 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thing with wanting a sequel to something like this is that, as much as you came to like the characters, if it was intended as a stand-alone work it could be difficult to make a suitable new story involving them. Of course, there are many films that have had sequels when they weren't originally meant as part of a series, but it was because there were more stories to tell. Spirited Away is very much a coming-of-age story, and after Chihiro returns to the normal world I'm not sure it would be appropriate to make a new story that isn't extremely different from the original.

The only way to do it I think would be a kind of spin-off set in the spirit world, but personally I would still prefer it to be left alone.

07.15.2013, 11:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Or Chihiro and Haku get together again later on in her life, but I agree with arren in that I don't really want to see a sequel... I don't see the point.

07.15.2013, 11:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A movie that could easily incorporate a sequel would be Princess Mononoke seeing that there is still so much trouble going on even after the movie ends. But due to the extreme popularity of My Neighbor Totoro and Sprited Away those would be the films getting the sequels.. If any at all.

07.15.2013, 01:25 PM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Yeah, I would love to go back to the Spirit World.

07.15.2013, 02:44 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
BimoXT
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.23.15
  Spirited away part 2Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BimoXT Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sea1208
I love that film so much. and so do my friends. Even it was made in 2001, we still waiting for part 2. because Haku promised to meet Chihiro again. So i wonder does it have part 2

Same even though it was made in 2001 me and alot of my friends ( 14-22) of us are still waiting and hoping they make a sequel cause we all loved the film. Spirited away is one of the best films I have ever seen and I'm only 13

Post last edited by BimoXT on 08.23.2015, 03:50 PM.

08.23.2015, 03:49 PM BimoXT is offline   Profile for BimoXT Add BimoXT to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, BimoXT, it is always a pleasure to see new members. "Spirited Away" was the first foreign language anime to win an Academy Award (Oscar). I believe that was the category.

And many of the Ghibli movies remind me so much of when I once lived in Japan. It gives me a 'feel good' feeling...

There aren't as many active members in here as there used to be, but we still represent many parts of the world.

Again, Welcome...

08.23.2015, 06:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! It's good to hopefully have another young one around here like me. Spirited Away is possibly my favorite Ghibli, but I'll have to rewatch Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service before I make that call.

08.23.2015, 09:58 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Lynnie
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lynnie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm skeptical about a sequel. Yes, it's my favourite film but I feel as if it was left off perfectly..I wouldn't want to add more to it. I've found most sequels not satisfying anyways. I rather leave things up to imagination.

11.14.2015, 03:02 PM Lynnie is offline   Profile for Lynnie Add Lynnie to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree, Lynnie. I think a sequel would be pandering, and a lot of sequels are unnecessary and just for money (Glares at Madoka Rebellion and Cars 2).

11.14.2015, 11:53 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, unless its a huge original work like Lord of the Rings where a single 2-hour film can't do the story justice, I dislike all sequels. The original Matrix stands perfectly well on its own and needed no sequel.

Besides at the end of Spirited Away we have perfect closure and the end of a story with a clear statement about Chihiro's personality and spirit.

Flare hit the nail on the head - sequels are just about making more money. They are about greed. Miyazaki doesn't do greed.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.15.2015, 04:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Saddles, I couldn't agree more. Its ironic that sequels, being so much about greed, are being asked to be made for Spirited Away, a film that has an underlying theme of why we shouldn't be greedy. Now, I don't hate all sequels. There have been some truly great ones! Think Star Wars (the original trilogy, because the others were terrible IMO), the Toy Story Sequels, and while Jurassic Park: The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 were terrible, Jurassic World wasn't too bad.

Plus, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you can count that as a sequel.

11.15.2015, 09:15 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't say Disappearance was a sequel, its more story from the original novels. Another chapter ripe to be animated. In my view Haruhi and Monogatari are typical worlds with so much content that additional films and series aren't in the same mould as sequels.

I'm pretty sure that the first three Star Wars films were always intended as a trilogy weren't they?

A proper sequel is Die Hard 7 or Rocky 95-part 4. Or Star Trek the Nineteenth Generation. Stuff that's really scraping the barrel.

Its true there are some very very good sequels... but equally that artistic energy could have been channelled into creating some entirely new fresh films to wonder at instead of a continuation of an existing universe.

One fresh take on an old story I would very much like to see is another film version of War of the Worlds only completely faithful to the book so it is set in Victorian or early Edwardian England and the Martian machines are very steampunky. That would be fantastic... though its hardly a sequel.

Meh. I went off topic.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.15.2015, 01:43 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki never considered making a sequel to Spirited Away... we just have to respect that decision.
If a sequel was made, it'd be just for the sake of having a second part, not because someone thinked of a new concept or story that'd really enrich the original thing. It'd be very artificial.

11.16.2015, 12:35 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks