QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - why aren't there more bluray/HD releases?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » why aren't there more bluray/HD releases? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.17.12
  why aren't there more bluray/HD releases?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OniFactor Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli.. but, as i'm building a home video library, it kind of suprises me, that, with how much high definition devices there are out now, that Studio Ghibli, who i thought prided themselves on the highest quality hand animation, aren't releasing high definition versions of some of their fan's most appreciated movies? personally, i would LOVE to have Mononoke-hime in full HD, as well as pretty much every other Ghibli film i can get my hands on. i thought the partnership with Disney was supposed to help with this sort of thing?

what are your guys' thoughts and opinions?

02.17.2012, 05:55 PM OniFactor is offline   Profile for OniFactor Add OniFactor to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its one of those who knows questions really.
myself i hope they make them HD, I dont use high def equipment but merely for the please of others.

02.17.2012, 06:47 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They are releasing the entire Studio Ghibli library on Blu-ray. They will get to Princess Mononoke eventually. The problem is Disney. They are not releasing the Blu-rays here in the United States. Just import the Japanese ones. They have nicer covers anyways.

02.17.2012, 09:13 PM  
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You might find it is because of Money, Disney's contract states they only pay for the distribution of the DVD's not the upscalling of them. I think the upscalling part is up to Ghibli, and it is very expensive to do so!!!

You could for now do what I have done and by a Blu-ray player that plays normal DVD's but get one that upscales them a little bit, not full HD but far better than just normal DVD quality. (this is obviously more beneficial for the ones you have yet to purchase in Blu-Ray)

02.18.2012, 10:48 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
OniFactor
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.17.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OniFactor Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Wikidkid101
You might find it is because of Money, Disney's contract states they only pay for the distribution of the DVD's not the upscalling of them. I think the upscalling part is up to Ghibli, and it is very expensive to do so!!!

You could for now do what I have done and by a Blu-ray player that plays normal DVD's but get one that upscales them a little bit, not full HD but far better than just normal DVD quality. (this is obviously more beneficial for the ones you have yet to purchase in Blu-Ray)

being a bit of a technojunkie, i do understand what your getting at, but only have a couple of points to bemoan..

BD players actually do a worse job at upscaling DVDs than DVD players with upscaling.. it's not normally so noticeable in live action films, because they're more organic looking, but in animation, it's much more evident.. sadly.

also, once i own a piece of optical media, i actually will just convert it into a digital file, so that the media itself won't get ruined, and i can watch it on any TV that i have hooked up to my home network.. which also allows me to pause it in one room, and resume it in another.. but, the DVD will get ripped at the actual resolution it is on the DVD

02.18.2012, 06:43 PM OniFactor is offline   Profile for OniFactor Add OniFactor to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't know about other countries, but there have been a lot of Ghiblis released on blue ray in Australia.

02.19.2012, 02:27 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
Don't know about other countries, but there have been a lot of Ghiblis released on blue ray in Australia.

I did a bit of research when this thread first started and I found only:

Nausicca
WOTH
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Ponyo
And Arrietty

are the only ones released on Blu Ray in the UK and Spirited Away is soon to be realeased not sure what date though!! I expect around summer time probably but don't hold me to it!!

02.19.2012, 06:51 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone watched them in blue ray? Is it better? I have already bought a fair few of the dvds already though, so i don't think i'll buy any blue rays, maybe just a couple.

02.19.2012, 08:12 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the only one people are REALLY waiting for is Spirited Away without the red tint

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.19.2012, 11:22 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I think the only one people are REALLY waiting for is Spirited Away without the red tint

What do you mean the red tint?

02.20.2012, 08:14 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
What do you mean the red tint?

You're joking, right? It was like THE biggest "scandal" to hit the movie. The R2 version was literally bleeding with red.

Google it for pics.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.23.2012, 11:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks