QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Borrower Arrietty
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions The Borrower Arrietty Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Did you enjoy The Borrower Arrietty
Loved it
Disliked it
Results
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
The Borrower ArriettyPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well my dad bought me and my less intelligent siblings the new Studio ghibli film The Borrower Arrietty. This is proudly the first ghibli film i recall witnessing the buying of. The rest of the ghiblis albeit three are a combo DVD set given to us by a friend.
(the other three are howls moving castle spirited away and Princess Mononoke)

For 14 british pounds it was worth it, i have finished watching it and its one of the best i have seen. Coming on close ties with my favorite, Princess Mononoke.

So my question in this thread is did you also enjoy this film? please answer yes or no on the poll.

Have a good day.

(edit) Another question though, Wasn't Howls moving castle also based on a book that also had its origins from England?

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 01.11.2012, 06:07 PM.

01.11.2012, 06:03 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There should be a 'Be grand' or 'i liked it option' :/

i said i loved it though

01.11.2012, 09:31 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I said love, but i didn't really love. I quite liked it, the feel was very nice, the pictures were beautiful and i liked the characterization of Sohu (?) and Arrietty.

I was expecting more action though, but i really enjoyed the feelings i got from the movie. It felt Ghibli, but a bit different. In a nice way.

01.12.2012, 01:18 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by hopexx5
Well my dad bought me and my less intelligent siblings the new Studio ghibli film The Borrower Arrietty. This is proudly the first ghibli film i recall witnessing the buying of. The rest of the ghiblis albeit three are a combo DVD set given to us by a friend.
(the other three are howls moving castle spirited away and Princess Mononoke)

For 14 british pounds it was worth it, i have finished watching it and its one of the best i have seen. Coming on close ties with my favorite, Princess Mononoke.

So my question in this thread is did you also enjoy this film? please answer yes or no on the poll.

Have a good day.

(edit) Another question though, Wasn't Howls moving castle also based on a book that also had its origins from England?

In relation to your edit, HMC was not so much based on English origins but written by a welsh author! Although sophies hometown reminded be a little bit of the famous English countryside!!!

01.12.2012, 05:58 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Most people I know liked Arrietty, but did not think it was one of Ghibli's best. I, on the other hand, think the exact opposite. Arrietty was my favourite Ghibli film since Mononoke. I thought it was amazing.

01.14.2012, 09:06 PM  
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh, I love the difference of opinion over this one.

For me, it was a 'like' not a 'love'.

The whole viewing of the film felt very dreamlike, in that it was absolutely beautiful - probably one of Ghibli's most beautiful films to date - and whimsical and sweet. However, I think it lacked the emotional punch and drama of the majority of Ghibli films. I didn't love Arrietty like I love San or Ponyo or Nausicaa, I thought she was a good heroine but not as endearing as others. For me the main pity was that I felt that the film touched on a lot of emotional issues (e.g. Sho's illness) without really connecting to them. I guess it left a lot of things unspoken, which is fine and in a way quite lovely, but as a result it didn't grab me.

There was no one scene that stands out in my mind more than any other really.

I'd have also liked it if it had broken slightly more away from the traditional Borrowers tale but it was very close to the original, which I watched not long ago.

I'd say I prefer it to a few of the Ghiblis but not many A nice effort but not as good as Ponyo.

01.15.2012, 08:25 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me, it was halfway between the really weak Ghibli movies (Gedo-Senki and The Cat returns) and the strong ones (all the others). Too timid in plot and direction, no passion, and the characters -except perhaps Arrietty- were flat and lacked life (specially the boy - terribly dull). On the whole, uninspiring and -coming from Ghibli- dissapointing.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 01.15.2012, 11:11 AM.

01.15.2012, 11:10 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I love this film and my girl friend love it, too.
Because the emotion and love between Arrietty and Shyo(翔、しょう) are very pure and beautiful.

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

01.15.2012, 02:34 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
torehogas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.19.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by torehogas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
For me, it was a 'like' not a 'love'.

The whole viewing of the film felt very dreamlike, in that it was absolutely beautiful - probably one of Ghibli's most beautiful films to date - and whimsical and sweet. However, I think it lacked the emotional punch and drama of the majority of Ghibli films. I didn't love Arrietty like I love San or Ponyo or Nausicaa, I thought she was a good heroine but not as endearing as others. For me the main pity was that I felt that the film touched on a lot of emotional issues (e.g. Sho's illness) without really connecting to them. I guess it left a lot of things unspoken, which is fine and in a way quite lovely, but as a result it didn't grab me.

This pretty well sums up my opinion of this movie, although I sense I am a bit more positive. The direction could have been a bit more daring, having the courage to really use the emotional issues more strongly (yet subtly, it's a hard balance to strike, I know).

It did grab me, but could have had more impact.

01.19.2012, 02:21 AM torehogas is offline   Profile for torehogas Add torehogas to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The movie overall was exellent, but portraying Sho as a weepy boy with critical illness kinda spoils the movie. If they had given something less serious like missing his parents (who were always busy), it would've been far more digestible and believable. In the end it felt like the director was trying to force a pitiable character that ended up non-pitiable. Arrietty covered that role much better anyway.

Loved the ending though (except their mushy last words). Seeing Arrietty's genuinely pained face and acceptance of the matter was truly tear-jerking.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.19.2012, 10:36 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
mimiwosumashema
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.17.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mimiwosumashema Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I NEVER WATCHED THE MOVIE I WISH I COULD.DOES ANYONE WANT TOPOST IT IN THIS THREAD I REALLY WANT WATCH THIS MOVIE.

02.17.2012, 04:35 PM mimiwosumashema is offline   Profile for mimiwosumashema Add mimiwosumashema to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am not a mod or administrator for this website but I don't think streaming is promoted.

If I remember rightly in my early days of joining, a memeber also brought up the fact that streaming should not be promoted in another thread, the reason and topic escapes me but the principle still remains.

As nice as it would be to have a thread where we could access all the ghibli films to watch. If only!!!

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 02.17.2012, 05:39 PM.

02.17.2012, 05:36 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mimiwosumashema
I NEVER WATCHED THE MOVIE I WISH I COULD.DOES ANYONE WANT TOPOST IT IN THIS THREAD I REALLY WANT WATCH THIS MOVIE.

Its been in the shops for a while now so it shouldn't be that expensive.

02.17.2012, 06:43 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While I get some of my other anime from special means *cough* I will never get a ghibli in such a manner.

Our official stance, however, is that piracy is illegal, and thus we do not support it. Hence, no torrent or streaming site links will be tolerated in the Tavern.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.19.2012, 11:15 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Wikidkid101
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
While I get some of my other anime from special means *cough* I will never get a ghibli in such a manner.

Our official stance, however, is that piracy is illegal, and thus we do not support it. Hence, no torrent or streaming site links will be tolerated in the Tavern.

Wasn't trying to do your job when I posted earlier, but thats what I thought the taverns position was on the whole situation, so I thought I would post it to let them know!!

02.20.2012, 08:35 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Even though its been quite a while since i watched an anime series, i usually would watch it online before buying it. Its a real pain getting anime here seeing as so little people watch it and its really expensive because of that, so there's no point spending money on something you might not like without doing a bit of research beforehand.

02.20.2012, 08:48 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arrietty is now in the American theaters according to a recent advert I saw on TV... Can't hardly wait to see it on a big screen...

02.21.2012, 06:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Arrietty is now in the American theaters according to a recent advert I saw on TV... Can't hardly wait to see it on a big screen...

It's good, not one of Ghibli's finest but good!

02.21.2012, 05:14 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks