QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Your thoughts on Girls who like being boyish.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Your thoughts on Girls who like being boyish. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Girls being boyish?
Cool with me 8 80.00%
Not cool with it 0 0.00%
Other. 2 20.00%
Total: 10 Votes 100%

Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Your thoughts on Girls who like being boyish.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is the complete opposite to my previous thread boys who like being girlish.
Fourtunatly for some this is more widely accepted by are modern society (or quite outdated in my mind) Than the opposite (boys being girlish or feminine) Its not uncommon to see girls wearing boy themed clothing or acting masculine (very common out of towns in my area)

Well enouth blabbing from my behalf, what are your thoughts on this?

12.31.2011, 08:02 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nothing wrong with it at all. I agree with you that it is much more acceptable than the opposite.

12.31.2011, 10:36 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I just read an article about this today: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/201...a-body-obscene/

A lot of people seem to think that because it's generally acceptable for women to act like men, women have more freedom than men. But really, the only reason women can (generally) behave like men without repercussions is that our society favors masculine behavior; it's seen as good and the norm. That's why boys who act like girls encounter so much more trouble; femininity in general is frowned upon.

12.31.2011, 11:49 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Girl who likes being boyish, yes, that would be me so I'm obviously cool with it. Lol. I've never in my life been 'girly' and the idea of it is most unappealing.

It is, as has been pointed out, sadly much more acceptable than the opposite.

My Anime List

01.01.2012, 12:32 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is quite important for people to have feminine and masculine, unfortunately are so called outdat -cough- i mean modern society thinks otherwise.

01.01.2012, 02:25 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We are getting there. I think that every day, things get the littlest bit better. Minds become a fraction more open. It's just with this particular issue at the moment there's a problem which I don't think many people saw coming, that being discrimination against men. Even as I think about it, to my mind a woman in man's clothing is far less... less shocking, less unusual, than vice versa. That to me seems quite illogical but that's definitely how my mind sees it. And how most people's minds see it. If it can work one way then why not the other? Doesn't make sense, how odd. A woman in manly clothes is just another person on the street, but a man in a dress would be assumed to be gay or a transvestite.

I think you're onto something, Orphic, in that... valuing masculinity, thing. I admit this is an arguable and probably even offensive point of view but I'd say that femininity can easily be associated with weakness, and masculinity with strength, when it comes right down to it. So it's seen that the way to be strong and successful in life is to man up.

My Anime List

01.01.2012, 03:37 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I ery much agree with your viewpoint, Kaze. When my youngest son was 9 or 10, he had long hair and was teased a lot by other boys at church, being called a sissy, etc. I spoke up to the parents quite a bit to try and stop it, but to no avail. And to top it off, my clergy said he should just cut his hair and be a boy...

WTH did they think he was, chopped liver??? I think that was around the time I started falling away from organized religion... That and other things in my life that happened later on...

01.01.2012, 08:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
AzViking
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AzViking Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, (about 15 years ago) I had a best friend who was a tomboy, and at that age it's rare for guys to have female friends, she was easy to talk to and at that age boys normally think girls are gross, taught me a lot about girls

And kaze, are you from the GS forum 4/5 years ago?

01.06.2012, 06:45 PM AzViking is offline   Profile for AzViking Add AzViking to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder how males who are feminine get on with girls who are masculine...

01.06.2012, 08:08 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
AzViking
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AzViking Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And @husky when I was 13-16 I didn't cut my hair once, eventually I cut it and donated it to locks of love, but I never got made fun of, at least not that I knew of, in fact I made many girls jealous that I had better hair than they did.

01.06.2012, 09:15 PM AzViking is offline   Profile for AzViking Add AzViking to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by hopexx5

If a sissy gay went out with a tomboyish lesbian, are they still gay and lesbian?

Anyway, I think the reasons are more about how each gender views the opposite. Men are pigs, and pigs view girls in a, well, suspicious manner. Under the same breath, men generally get along well with likeminded guys, and tomboys are easily accepted into this "brotherhood".

Girls generally look at "inner beauty" as more important than looks, so tomboys get away with being tomboys so long as they have a friendly and positive attitude.

Flip everything around though, and you got a different story. Sissies are weirdos because fellow men won't accept them. Girls are more understanding at least, but unless they have a strong maternal instinct, won't go for these guys without good reason.

And before this explodes into another full-blown debate (not that I mind, but exams are killer), terms used are for general understanding in a simplified manner.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.06.2012, 10:36 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
Originally posted by hopexx5

If a sissy gay went out with a tomboyish lesbian, are they still gay and lesbian?

...terms used are for general understanding in a simplified manner.

I know you are using these terms for a general understanding but i find the first bit you wrote really offensive.

01.06.2012, 10:51 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Yeah im not fond of the word gay, I know it had positive meanings in the Britain that no longer exists. But today it is the meaning for something far less excepted.

Dont have any problems with the word sissy though.

01.07.2012, 09:55 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hope, I don't think 'gay' was the word of offense there. I think it was 'sissy.'

There's nothing offensive about 'gay'. It's a descriptive word like 'tall' or 'blonde'.

Anyway, I think you have it about right, Roar. I don't know about the maternal instinct part, I'm not sure I possess such a thing but I love feminine men. I think it's more like the opposite of what you were saying about boyish girls being accepted into the 'brotherhood', I think it's just the same thing vice versa.

Also, it's interesting that you see girls as less judgmental about looks. I'd have thought that men were.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 01.07.2012, 11:12 AM.

01.07.2012, 11:05 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I ery much agree with your viewpoint, Kaze. When my youngest son was 9 or 10, he had long hair and was teased a lot by other boys at church, being called a sissy, etc. I spoke up to the parents quite a bit to try and stop it, but to no avail. And to top it off, my clergy said he should just cut his hair and be a boy...

WTH did they think he was, chopped liver??? I think that was around the time I started falling away from organized religion... That and other things in my life that happened later on...

Amusing... when every depiction of Jesus shows him having hair down at least onto his shoulders.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.07.2012, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, so true, Saddles, but once I found a part in the Bible that states that "long hair is an abomination".

Go figure?

Realistacally, most men in that part of the world at that time would have had short, dark curly hair and swarthy complexions... distinctly Aramaic...

01.07.2012, 01:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? I thought guys of old had long hair. Too much Hollywood/LoTR.

@Calforsale/hopexx/kaz: It's a hard term to describe, so sue me. But that's the idea, if the man-looking person is actually a lesbian, and the girl-looking person is actually a gay, are they still gay/lesbian?

Looks matter or inside matter? That is the question. Just something weird I thought of, like "Is ice eaten or drunk?" (ice is water, yet solid).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.07.2012, 11:25 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Me, I think it's pretty darn awesome. Like twenty percent awesomer than the stereotype.

ADW: Quantifying awesomeness? Huh?

01.13.2012, 11:27 AM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Girls being boyish doesn't annoy me. Boys being girlish does. Sounds like that's sexist and it probably is, but for some reason boy's being girlish really cheeses me off.

01.13.2012, 06:04 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thought this was relevant:

http://arewomenhuman.me/2011/06/13/gende...e-therapy-cont/

01.15.2012, 10:41 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks