QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Have you seen a Ghibli film at the Cinema?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Have you seen a Ghibli film at the Cinema? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, never.
Because here I have no chance....our country has limitions to Japan Animation Movies.

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

11.20.2011, 01:56 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by supertrf
Well, never.
Because here I have no chance....our country has limitions to Japan Animation Movies.

Thats a pity, how strict are yer limitations? Would ye get any ghibli films or just very little?

i had a chance to go see Arriety in cinema but i was too afraid to go by myself

11.20.2011, 07:23 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow i really didn't expect to have this many replies to this thread.

11.21.2011, 06:21 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first one I saw in the theatres was Nausicaa, when I was only a kindergarten kid. The only thing I remember is that I cried during the show and my dad took me to the toilet to beat me up.

So far I've also watched Spirited Away, Howl, Earthsea, Ponyo and Arrietty in the theatres. I would love to see Totoro and Kiki on the gigantic theatre screen, but everytime the local theatres have a rerun of the Ghibli lineup all tickets are immediately sold.

quote:
Originally posted by supertrf
Well, never.

There will be a screening of recent anime movies in Shanghai in early December. There won't be any Ghibli stuff though. Still it deserves a round-trip to Shanghai just for seeing Uchuu Show he Yokoso (an innocent and fun anime film that Ghibli fans will love) on a big theatre screen

11.25.2011, 03:08 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Darrius Sebastian
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.24.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Darrius Sebastian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I'm wondering how many of you have seen some Ghiblies at the cinema, and if you thought it was more enjoyable to watch there?

I haven't, but i'm waiting for Arriety to come here (not too long to wait now).

That film releases this month here. I can't wait.

12.01.2011, 02:36 PM Darrius Sebastian is offline   Profile for Darrius Sebastian Add Darrius Sebastian to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Arrietty today at the cinema. It was amazing to see it on the big screen! It looks even more beautiful, and the great music sounded even better with the surround sound!

I was really happy too because despite the fact the cinema's website had the american voice actors listed with the description of the movie, they showed the subs! Hehe the little kids didn't seem happy about that though!

One annoying thing about seeing it at the cinema i found is the distractions, because i liked to be fully absorbed when watching Ghibli movies. I was also disappointed the theater was only around 2/3 full, despite being the second show of the opening day.

01.12.2012, 01:22 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Psychedelic.Ink
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Psychedelic.Ink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first Ghibli film I ever saw at theatres was Ponyo. Even though it was a kids film I was absorbed by the animation and I had this awesome feeling like I had gone back in time. This was my first experienced with a 2d movie in a LONG time.
What made it more awesome is that as we were driving back home it started raining heavily like in the movie in freaking Houston, TX !!!
Raining scenes are some of my favourites in Hayao Miyazaki films.

And now the USA Film Festival is presenting 11 studio Ghibli Films in Dallas. I have already bought a ticket to see Porco Rosso!
I don't know what other films to watch though because some of the showings conflict with each other...

MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO: Saturday, January 21, 12:30pm
KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE/WHISPER OF THE HEART: Saturday, January 21, 2:30pm
POM POKO/SPIRITED AWAY: Saturday, January 21, 5:00pm
CASTLE IN THE SKY(Sub)/THE CAT RETURNS: Sunday, January 22, 12:30pm
THE BORROWER ARRIETTY/PORCO ROSSO: Sunday, January 22, 3:00pm
PRINCESS MONONOKE/NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND: Sunday, January 22, 5:00pm

:/

01.12.2012, 12:25 PM Psychedelic.Ink is offline   Profile for Psychedelic.Ink Add Psychedelic.Ink to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In "normal" exhibitions I've only seen Howl and Ponyo (more than once!)

I've also seen (twice!) Ponyo in a free summer festival in Buenos Aires, open air cinema:

(wider photo here , but from other movie). Very nice experience; families, children (they laughed heartily at the slapstick - and I heard one mother saying to another that they were there for second time, because her little daughter had insisted) and a general sense of enjoyment at the end. The quality of the projection was quite good.

Finally, a year ago some ("artsy"... and heroic) cinema here projected "Spirited Away" (real 35mm). I went very excited, entered the theater room... and fount it completely empty!!! The movie began with me as only viewer I didn't feel very confortable, but later two or three more people entered.

BTW: during 2012 those living in the west of USA might have a good chance:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/biz/studio-gh...os-angeles.html

http://www.cityonfire.com/gkids-ready-to...me-more-ghibli/

Post last edited by leonbloy on 01.12.2012, 01:10 PM.

01.12.2012, 01:05 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen every Ghibli movie since Spirited Away in Japanese theaters first run. No subtitles or dubbing, though I will admit to comprehension problems with Earthsea. The most views first-run ( I saw it eight times over several months) were of Spirited Away. The least (once) was the newest release, Kokurikozaka kara. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something I don't like about Kokurikozaka.

01.17.2012, 03:33 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
torehogas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.19.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by torehogas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first experience with Ghibli was in a theater, but unfortunately it is my only one so far.

It was when I saw Spirited Away at the Tromsø International Film Festival in Northern Norway in 2003. Tromsø is a fairly small place (pop. 70 000) but the festival is very popular and makes it population swell a lot. Its profile is fairly niche, but somehow even a lot of people who rarely watch anything but Hollywood movies make a point of attending.

Spirited Away was the final screening of the 2003 festival, and after the theater - which was completely packed - recovered from the stunned silence, it received standing ovations. It was a really great experience to see a 100% adult audience experience such a childlike pleasure from a film.

This was the original dub with English subtitles. Since then, I try to always watch the original dub. Even my kids, who are not that proficient in English (we are a Norwegian-Korean family) enjoy them. It really says something about the deft storytelling and the visual impact of the Ghibli movies that you can enjoy countless viewings of them without even understanding anything that is said!

01.19.2012, 02:38 AM torehogas is offline   Profile for torehogas Add torehogas to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, torehogas Hope you'll be an active member...

I pretty much agree with your post, especially about understanding the story, but not necessarily understanding the dialogue completely. I think this goes for many of Ghibli's movies...

Again, welcome.

01.19.2012, 03:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
torehogas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.19.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by torehogas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Welcome to the Tavern, torehogas Hope you'll be an active member...

I pretty much agree with your post, especially about understanding the story, but not necessarily understanding the dialogue completely. I think this goes for many of Ghibli's movies...

Again, welcome.

Thanks!

I see now that it was not that clear from my first post, but I meant that whenever I get a Ghibli movie I try to get the original dub - not just Spirited Away.

Of course, when I watched the short film "The Day I Harvested a Star" at the Saturn Theater at Ghibli Museum, that was in Japanese without any subtitles , but I absolutely loved it!

01.19.2012, 03:50 AM torehogas is offline   Profile for torehogas Add torehogas to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank You, torehogas, for the little recap of your visit to the Ghibli Museum. I recommend it to all the members and guests. I quite enjoyed it.

01.19.2012, 04:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
zalitz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.11.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by zalitz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

not seen any ghibli fim at the cinema in the uk but in my anime society we watch Arrietty on a big projector screen

02.11.2012, 08:31 PM zalitz is offline   Profile for zalitz Add zalitz to your buddy list
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have not, but thats only because our local theatre does not show them here. I guess in a town of 15,000 they just don't have a big enough pull? I would love to see Arrietty in a theatre but I don't want to drive 60 miles to see it. I'll just wait and buy it when it comes out to DVD.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

02.23.2012, 12:57 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I can now add "Arrietty" to my list of movies seen in a theater, Ghibli movies, that is...

And, yes, my eyes were wet near the ending...

02.23.2012, 02:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^^^^
Out of curiosity, English or Japanese version?

02.23.2012, 08:25 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Darrius Sebastian
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.24.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Darrius Sebastian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I'm wondering how many of you have seen some Ghiblies at the cinema, and if you thought it was more enjoyable to watch there?

I haven't, but i'm waiting for Arriety to come here (not too long to wait now).

I went see Arriety last night at the cinema, and I loved it

03.03.2012, 04:43 PM Darrius Sebastian is offline   Profile for Darrius Sebastian Add Darrius Sebastian to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
^^^^
Out of curiosity, English or Japanese version?

In the local theaters, only the English versions are shown...

03.04.2012, 01:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Which Ghibli's in particular would you guys like to see? I'd really like to see Laputa, Naussica and Spirited away at the cinema because i think they have the most beautiful drawings and songs.

03.06.2012, 02:40 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks